What does the future of ebikes hold technologically, socially and in market share?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Start Monday off with a big thread right?

Technology:
Regenerative brakes
Integrated power, navigation and control, and lighting systems

Socially
Ebikes become far more acceptable as a much wider and more diverse set of riders realise they can engage with something they were oreviously excluded from due to physical set backs

Market share
Right now the market for bikes is as saturated as it’s going to get. Significantly more people will not start cycling without a significant change in the market conditions. Ebikes are that change.

Maybe 20% of existing riders would use an ebike. That is not the total ebike market. It is in fact the obvious tip of a very large iceberg. Maybe ten times more people, than that 20% of the existing market, would ride if they could. If hills didn’t scare them, if a weak knee didn’t scare them, if being overweight didn’t scare them.

What does the future hold
In the next five years? How about ten? What happens to the car market when you can ride around town easily on a cheap reliable electric bike or order a robot Uber for long journeys?

Interested to hear your thoughts. Remember, we’re a niche (ebikes) of a niche (bikes) who are invested enough to join a forum (niche). What is the wider market and trends going to be?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
It would be interesting to know what percentage of ebike owners are actually mountain bikers, i mean by that riders who use their bikes exclusivly for offroad riding
I think one of the major factors against ebikes becoming a widely used method of transport is weather

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
I don't see regenerative brakes coming as It must be added to the current components and not a replacement.

There is definitely a small market of new e-bikes commuters but as stated the weather is a big issue.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
It depends where you're talking about as well. I don't think that outside of cities that bikes or ebikes will ever be used very much for transportation in the US. Ebikes will get more lapsed bikers back on bikes, and maybe some new ones, which is great, but cycling will always be a niche here for various reasons.

I'm not sure electric mountain bikes will gain much share here until access increases to close to 100% of what mtbs have, it's a long way from that now.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Very true - I have a 100% European or even UK viewpoint. Any bike, electric or not can go anywhere because of the limits on the class 1 bikes and of course distances are smaller. I commute to work every day for example :)

The number of people in an urban compared to 'countryside' environment here is also quite assuredly urban, so everythign is close.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Unless i am mistaken its only the US that use is restricted everywhere else in the world you can useca pedal assist bike anywhere you can use a regular bike, a lot of the trail centres in the uk hire them out

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I've spent a ton of time in the EU, since the distances are closer, and bikes are already used as a normal way to get around, they're logically a great choice as a vehicle, an ebike only makes more sense. Plus, gas prices.

Here, they're just toys for kids and expensive toys for adults primarily.

Kendoji

Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam
My Stromer ST2 speed pedelec already has regenerative braking. It’s a high tech beast, also has a SIM card built-in, tracks location if stolen, downloads it’s own updates over the air, etc...

Bikes are just going to get smarter and smarter.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
My Stromer ST2 speed pedelec already has regenerative braking.
Of course, with a hub motor it's already built-in.

And it's nice to regulate the speed downhill, but far from a "real" braking which need to deal with much more energy.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Technology:
  • Lighter motors
  • Newer generation of battery technology (a way off yet though) for much higher range
  • Fast charging support for use at trail centres. 80% charge within 30 mins
  • Wireless Charging. Put your bike back in ‘range’ of the charger and it will charge via induction (again, a while off)
  • Better integration of software and hardware, not just off the shelf packages. Tyre pressure levels, smart motor assistance based on available battery
  • Price decreases
Socially
  • EMTB’s are regarded as interested, cool and innovative. We’re quite close to this right now
  • Access is opened to more riders, through pedal assistance.
  • E Bikes become a regular method of transport for many. Look at the article I just linked above. Uber have just purchased an EBike sharing company. That’s a big deal.
  • Biking in general become bigger. The rise of technology and over-use of personal devices hit a level of endemic proportions that there is a realisation that there is a danger that we become all-encompassed by devices. E-Biking is an way of ‘getting outside’ whilst getting our tech fix (this one is a bit out there, but I feel we’re reaching a tipping point at the moment where we’re getting hooked on technology, so much so that it’s detracting from real life. We see things like biking as a way of detaching and soaking up real life again
Market Share
  • EMTB’s start to outsell regular MTB’s in the £2k+ section within 2 years (in EU / AUS) and later in USA when the manufacturers successfully lobby for trail access and it’s granted and becomes mainstream and accepted
  • MTB manufacturers realise that they need to innovate or die, creating a quicker upgrade cycle of MTB’s (think how phone usage changed over the last 20 years)
  • EMTB share to grow as social acceptance increases

Last edited:

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
Don't know about the future, but in my neck of woods (Southern France, Nice area) the local bike shops tell me that they get 70% of their revenue from eBikes at the moment. Times they are a changin'. It's no more about innovators, we are probably in early adopters phase already... and maybe the laggards are able to follow in the next ten or so years. At least if we're talking about eMTBs.

Speaking about eBikes in general, I do not think we are facing a problem of "acceptance"... the biggest barrier to major market adoption is money, deep pockets and hard cash certainly. Currently a decent eBike costs half the price of a decent Fiat 500, which is pretty ridiculous - because the amount of technology and raw materials in that small Fiat is hundred times superior. What's more, high prices also lead to storage problems, a safe garage is more or less a requirement.

Another important hurdle is general biking infrastructure (safe roads), which is mostly or totally underdeveloped everywhere in Europe - with few exceptions, like northern freezing cold flatland countries and some urban hipster high-income areas here and there. Developing infrastructure is sloooow, much slower than the pace of technology, but of course, it will happen eventually. Unless our wessie economy collapses totally for whatever of those foreseeable million reasons.

We eMTB folks are a bit different breed though, riding circles in a forest without actually going anywhere is more like an expensive and useless hobby, just incredibly fun. So it's hard to find any intelligent reason for WHY eMTB seems to be going airborne. Maybe it will really fly at the end, who knows.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@100 Cols great points. The pricing is a big factor. But, this will reduce massively over the years. We are early adopters still, paying a premium for the design, tooling, innovation and marketing. This will reduce with economies of scale.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Don't know about the future, but in my neck of woods (Southern France, Nice area) the local bike shops tell me that they get 70% of their revenue from eBikes at the moment. Times they are a changin'. It's no more about innovators, we are probably in early adopters phase already... and maybe the laggards are able to follow in the next ten or so years. At least if we're talking about eMTBs.

Speaking about eBikes in general, I do not think we are facing a problem of "acceptance"... the biggest barrier to major market adoption is money, deep pockets and hard cash certainly. Currently a decent eBike costs half the price of a decent Fiat 500, which is pretty ridiculous - because the amount of technology and raw materials in that small Fiat is hundred times superior. What's more, high prices also lead to storage problems, a safe garage is more or less a requirement.

Another important hurdle is general biking infrastructure (safe roads), which is mostly or totally underdeveloped everywhere in Europe - with few exceptions, like northern freezing cold flatland countries and some urban hipster high-income areas here and there. Developing infrastructure is sloooow, much slower than the pace of technology, but of course, it will happen eventually. Unless our wessie economy collapses totally for whatever of those foreseeable million reasons.

We eMTB folks are a bit different breed though, riding circles in a forest without actually going anywhere is more like an expensive and useless hobby, just incredibly fun. So it's hard to find any intelligent reason for WHY eMTB seems to be going airborne. Maybe it will really fly at the end, who knows.
"We eMTB folks are a bit different breed though, riding circles in a forest without actually going anywhere ....."

I like that quote because for most of us it's true

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that the E-MTB market is going though massive growth, and probably not peaked yet. For me the biggest selling point of an E-MTB, is that realistically with a young family and work commitments its are i can get out for more than 2-3 hours, and the E-MTB allows me to get some decent riding into that slot, and also ride straight out my front door, rather than drive to trail.

However i think E-Bikes in general are much more widespread than people think, if you go to Europe they are commonplace being used for commuting and getting about town, and i can only see this increasing - most "normal" e-bikes also have all the lights/accesories powered off the main battery too, with several allowing you to charge a USB device too, which while a lot of wiring, does actually make life easier as you don't have to worry about having to charge up multiple devices etc, you just turn on the bike and go.

A massive market for E-bikes is the older generation, who also tend to have the most disposable income. In my extended family there are 4 grandparents who all have high end E-Bikes that they use for both leisure, but also getting around to do shopping etc. They love them as it keeps them active, provides and easy way to get around, and also find it very social, as ultimately us cyclists love nothing better than discussing our bikes and going out for rides! Now all their friends are getting them too - so one purchase of an E-bike two years ago has now turned into 3 others of my family getting them, and a lot of the grandparents friends getting them too.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also i have noticed recently, that E-MTB's are getting a lot more acceptance - pretty much anyone i speak to about them now with MTB'ing, from shops to mates, wants one - so for me its gone from them being thought of as a quirky niche, to the product everyone wants right now, and i thinks thats because (like most pastimes!) most of us realise we are not going to be Aaaron Gwinn or Nino Schurter, and bikes built for them are wasted on us, but a bike that enables us to have more fun on the hill - thats fun for everyone.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Also i have noticed recently, that E-MTB's are getting a lot more acceptance - pretty much anyone i speak to about them now with MTB'ing, from shops to mates, wants one - so for me its gone from them being thought of as a quirky niche, to the product everyone wants right now, and i thinks thats because (like most pastimes!) most of us realise we are not going to be Aaaron Gwinn or Nino Schurter, and bikes built for them are wasted on us, but a bike that enables us to have more fun on the hill - thats fun for everyone.
This is the best comment I have read for a while. You're spot on, and you sum it up so well. I have never rode as much as I now do on my EMTB; nor have I ever had as much fun on a mountain bike.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Security issues have to be addressed ..I love my Focus Jam 2 but have to use a Hiplock every time I go to our village shops to protect my new toy.
I could leave my old rigid hybrid anywhere with no worries.
The sim card "key" and bike tracking should be mandatory on all E bikes.
Cant wait to go riding .....

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
2019/2020 predictions
  • Reduced motor weight and size for some manufacturers
  • Better software allowing finer motor control
  • Better switchgear and displays
  • Cleaner wiring especially around switchgear and controls
  • Improved battery and frame integration to remove the bulbous appearance

2021+ predictions
  • Integrated GPS, phone and fitness calculators into stem / bars
  • Remote location of bike, ability to disable or lock to prevent theft via phones
  • Magnesium / Aluminium motor casings for further weight saving or motor
  • Fast charge capability, 80% charge in 40 mins, supported by major bike parks and trail centres
  • USA trail restrictions hugely reduced

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
I would like to get motor and rider power sent as an "ant+ power sensor" data. It should not be too hard thing to do, as these machines already have torque sensing electronics built in.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I would like to get motor and rider power sent as an "ant+ power sensor" data. It should not be too hard thing to do, as these machines already have torque sensing electronics built in.
The Specialized bikes already do this, you can see motor power on the mission control application screen.

The bike software also logs rider wattage, but this isn't displayed on the app screen, you can get the data after the ride is completed. I would think that future updates will allow this in real-time.

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
Interesting, didn't know that Specialized has already partly taken that route. However, what I would like to see, is "power meter" info on my Garmin, together with heart rate, cadence, incline, etc. Being able to analyze a ride later with computer (or with an app) is nice, but instant power (or 3 sec average, % of FTP or whatever) would be even more useful.

Power meters are still pretty expensive gadgets, but many amateurs do use them nevertheless - even I have power meter pedals, which I use on road bike and once a year on track weekend. If people could get "free" power meter with an eBike, that would be a brilliant selling/buying argument, I think.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
if you have a levo the BLevo app will do all of that now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles