the future of ebikes , banned from lots of trails !?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
That is a freaking joke and a half.
The only rules I know of about transporting batteries is the airline rule and many countries have rules stating when transporting a large volume of batteries it must be indicated as per other dangerous goods. Any twat claiming a rule effects uplifts is indeed a twat.
Slight correction - park's ruile is "we are unfortunately not able to allow e-bikes on the chairlift with the battery installed for safety reasons", so I could take my bike up if I took the battery out and carried it - probably not worth the hassle

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Still funny davarello.

I remember quite a few years back a skifield decided to open up for mountainbikes and the attendent would not let us take downhill rigs on the lift because they were 'probably' too heavy.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Still funny davarello.

I remember quite a few years back a skifield decided to open up for mountainbikes and the attendent would not let us take downhill rigs on the lift because they were 'probably' too heavy.
Don't even get me started on DOC's (Dept of Conservation for those outside NZ) policy for ebikes - as far as they're concerned ebike riders are old, infirm or disabled and shouldn't go on back country trails and those who ride under their own power shouldn't have to share those tracks. https://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/about-doc/policies-and-plans/electric-bikes-guideline.pdf

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
DoC needs a complete revision. Most of the staff seem to think they own the trails and not the people of New Zealand. Far too much emphasis is put on overseas tourists than the locals.

Last edited:

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
My local bike park has a chairlift but won't allow ebikes due to the rules around transporting batteries apparently. They do have an uphill track I can ride for free (which would be a slog on a regular bike), so I use that and then ride back down.
Have you ever tried to take your ebike on the lift at CAP? I was wondering if they would even notice?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Have you ever tried to take your ebike on the lift at CAP? I was wondering if they would even notice?
No, didn't want to waste time in the queues either when I can ride to the top in 30 minutes which makes a good warm up. My new trick is to ride up Worseley's Rd and track, then go into CAP uphill track for last bit, ride a downhill to the mid point then climb back up and go around to Loess Rider.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
It’s £16 to enter Bike Park Wales on an eBike and now they will even charge your batteries for £5. I can get in just as many runs in a day on my eBike peddling up, it’s actually faster than the uplift service ?

My eBike was good fun but I’ve got to say I’ll lean towards my trail/enduro bike if there is the opportunity of an uplift/chairlift.

Oct 28, 2020
Tasmania
Wow , can't believe how lucky we are here in Australia , haven't heard of any restrictions on Ebike riding.
Where I live in Tasmania (southern most State in Australia) there are zero restrictions on where you can ride your Ebike.
Be it privately owned (Maydena) or on Government owned land , Derby-St Helens or anywhere else in the state , no problems.
Best place in the world for Ebike riding then I guess ;):)

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Last season in France/Switzerland two lifts, Mossettes up from les Lindarets and Supper Morzine insisted you removed your battery. When asked why all we got was a French shrug from the lifty. I have an external battery so easy to remove. But some internals a real pain. Although an internal looks more like a clockwork. The only lift I can recall is Crosets where the lifty physically lifts the bikes on to the chair. I don’t think humping 22+kg all day would go down well!
They must have dropped that stupid rule for 2019 , I was there in June fir a week and rode the passport de solei on the last day taking dozens of lifts all the way into Switzerland , never once was treated any different for having an ebike , there was a group of 4 of us together at most lifts . Would have been mayhem causing huge holdups if we’re all removing batteries then trying to carry them .

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I think that's why the EU speed limit makes sense. Being no faster than a person could run makes it a hard to ban them based on speed alone. Meter for meter I doubt ebikes cause more erosion, but you probably do more miles than on a regular bike so the impact is larger. I never considered the 20kg lift limit for workers but I think that's fair, I'm sure it the 25kg emtb becomes the norm then they have some kind of assist for lifting them (a gas or spring strut).

Nimbies will seek any reason to ban things health and safety, environmental, noise etc for their own purpose. Banning anything as a go to (even the stuff I don't like) I despise as a lazy solution. The 1st aim should always be how can we accommodate them with current users. Chances are it'll work out for the better. #banbanning

Currently where I live there are 3 'schemes' where the intention is clearly nimby with some pretty thin environmental window dressing to disguise its agenda.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think that's why the EU speed limit makes sense. Being no faster than a person could run makes it a hard to ban them based on speed alone. Meter for meter I doubt ebikes cause more erosion, but you probably do more miles than on a regular bike so the impact is larger. I never considered the 20kg lift limit for workers but I think that's fair, I'm sure it the 25kg emtb becomes the norm then they have some kind of assist for lifting them (a gas or spring strut).

Nimbies will seek any reason to ban things health and safety, environmental, noise etc for their own purpose. Banning anything as a go to (even the stuff I don't like) I despise as a lazy solution. The 1st aim should always be how can we accommodate them with current users. Chances are it'll work out for the better. #banbanning

Currently where I live there are 3 'schemes' where the intention is clearly nimby with some pretty thin environmental window dressing to disguise its agenda.
Seriously , if you can’t lift your ebike onto a chair lift or cable car then dont go up the mountain , you’ll never make it down , on most lifts operatives to lift bikes off at the top brcause your bike is on the chair infront if you , theres a number if different types of lift and they are all very easy to use even for kids

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Seriously , if you can’t lift your ebike onto a chair lift or cable car then dont go up the mountain , you’ll never make it down , on most lifts operatives to lift bikes off at the top brcause your bike is on the chair infront if you , theres a number if different types of lift and they are all very easy to use even for kids

I have no problem lifting 25kg (when we get to 90kg cast iron cabinet saws then I struggle ?), but in some places where staff load them all day I can see why employers are covering themselves. Its not just chair lifts either trailers I seem to remember staff loading them.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Wow , can't believe how lucky we are here in Australia , haven't heard of any restrictions on Ebike riding.
Where I live in Tasmania (southern most State in Australia) there are zero restrictions on where you can ride your Ebike.
Be it privately owned (Maydena) or on Government owned land , Derby-St Helens or anywhere else in the state , no problems.

We're pretty good over here in Scotland as well... I took my normal bike over to Tasmania back in 2018, absolutely loved Maydena and Derby, I much preferred the riding in Tas compared to Mainland Australia (Sydney's Northern beaches and Canberra), I was trying to get back over there this year but it's not looking too good :(

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
With Ebikes, becoming a huge empowerment to get healthy as just one use - and Economy/business (certainly in the UK) I can't see any bikes - that meet the safety regulations, being banned from anywhere.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It’s £16 to enter Bike Park Wales on an eBike and now they will even charge your batteries for £5. I can get in just as many runs in a day on my eBike peddling up, it’s actually faster than the uplift service ?

My eBike was good fun but I’ve got to say I’ll lean towards my trail/enduro bike if there is the opportunity of an uplift/chairlift.
£5 to charge a battery! To charge a 500Whr battery from empty will cost about 12 pence in electricity charges. I accept that the facilities will take up space for the bikes being charged, plus some contribution towards the installation and any subsequent maintenance. £5 is a nice round number and people will be happy to pay it. Is there a time limit on the charge?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
£5 to charge a battery! To charge a 500Whr battery from empty will cost about 12 pence in electricity charges. I accept that the facilities will take up space for the bikes being charged, plus some contribution towards the installation and any subsequent maintenance. £5 is a nice round number and people will be happy to pay it. Is there a time limit on the charge?
did bike park last January it was freezing all day , my shimano battery just about managed 3 rides to the top , glad I had 2 batteries for that bike , but to be fair in that cold weather trying to get the most out of a day I was knackered after 6 runs , using the uplift we always get between 9 and 12 runs .

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Agreed. We're super lucky here. Not only can we ride anywhere, EVERY bike shop sells eBikes (road and mountain) so we're slowly developing a huge support network as well. A lot of LBS staff are still learning, but learning they are. When I picked up my new bike three weeks ago it was the young guys who were drooling over it. EMTB is actually cool here.

I think most people realise that more bikes means more trails and more funding for MTB. Everybody wants more trails. Lots of towns are trying to be the next Blue Derby in Oz. If you're not from Oz you should check out the Blue Derby story to see how it transformed an entire region. Now there's a dozen new places trying to do the same thing here. An EMTB is a huge part of that because EMTB is the biggest growth sector in MTB in Australia.

Gordon

p.s. I'm in Tassie this month. Have the bikes (coming over on the ferry) and a few days booked in Derby. Can't wait!!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Update - ebikes are now allowed on the chairlifts at CAP (Christchurch Adventure Park, NZ). I'd suggest putting them in the two middle trays as the whole thing goes on a worrying tilt if you use the outside positions! Now just need DOC to get with it so I can ride the Paparoa legally - Paparoa Track and Pike29 Memorial Track

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
When I lived and (analogue) biked in the UK., I had absolutely no objection to being banned from footpaths. Especially when going for a quiet ramble myself, mostly in the crowded South East, I could instantly appreciate how irritating it was to have to deal with bikers who needed me to get out of their way as they interrupted my chosen experience.

It's not as if there aren't miles of other trails to cycle on.

Footpaths.

The clue is in the name.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
In the late 80’s in England when I started riding off road, pre disc brakes or suspension ?, I would be challenged by Peak District Park Rangers about where I was riding. Quite rightly they where protecting the countryside. The issue was that they were unaware of the type of access allowed.

There are some notable types other than bridleways where cycling is allowed. RUPPS are roads used as public paths and BOATS are byways open to all traffic. These designations can be found on a map called the definitive map which each local authority is obliged to hold.

The Rangers sometimes thought that because there was a local authority sign saying footpath that cycling wasn’t allowed. However some of the footpaths fell into the above categories. Signage has to be kept simple, obviously. So unfortunately @Mike D. the clue can sometimes be misleading.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Update - ebikes are now allowed on the chairlifts at CAP (Christchurch Adventure Park, NZ). I'd suggest putting them in the two middle trays as the whole thing goes on a worrying tilt if you use the outside positions! Now just need DOC to get with it so I can ride the Paparoa legally - Paparoa Track and Pike29 Memorial Track
Shame that , it’s clearly become a big business in the alps giving the ski resorts year round business , the rides on all the lifts are just fantastic and a weeks lift pass so cheap considering how much it’s used . You don’t really need an ebike but they don’t discriminate
E76D8C8E-A844-496C-808F-4D42A760C824.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles