The best hardcore ebike routes in the Lake District (with no hike-a-bike)

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend some fairly hardcore ebike routes in the Lake District?

What I'm after is routes with little or no hike-a-bike (which obviously isn't great for heavy ebikes), and ideally (but not compulsorily), fairly gentle climbs so we're not spanking the batteries having to use turbo to get to the top. Tarmac climbs are also OK ;)

But what they absolutely must have is the most gnarly, technical singletrack descents out there please!

Ideally quite big rides with ~1,500m vert

If the route involves riding on footpaths, I can live with that :)

Hit me with your Strava links please!

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Skiddaw, pedal around to the yha then up to the top and drop off ullock pike.
It's as good as your gonna get.

I tried skiddaw last year - went at it from the south near Applethwaite

Got about 1/4 of the way up - ended up with bike on shoulders, hiking over massive rocks, nearly had a stroke, came back down LOL

I guess it must be a lot easier from the North?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
good little video, i was wondering why that chap was walking his bike, its not until the end when you look back up, how steep it is!

I'm going in July, only ridden through up and over the there once on a coast to coast, nothing really gnarly. Looking forward to doing this. (assuming its dry)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Low Parkamore - Satterswaith from above Coniston is best in Grizedale. Then up Breasty Haw and down into Near Sawry - on to Claife Heights and down into Colthouse is a good day out.

in the grizedale area : -

The breasty haw descent is an absolute cracker - fantastic fun, followed by the hole in the wall descent. Well worth it.

The fox is also a fun descent (not as good as breasty haw though) , and also a fun climb on an ebike.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
in the grizedale area : -

The breasty haw descent is an absolute cracker - fantastic fun, followed by the hole in the wall descent. Well worth it.

The fox is also a fun descent (not as good as breasty haw though) , and also a fun climb on an ebike.
Start from Moor Top car park and dont missing turn turn off for Low Parkamore Singletrack the sign got destroyed in the last big storm.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
This route around Grizedale takes in some of the descents mentioned above, missing some of the bits still closed after the storms. 45k, 1500mtrs of climbing, running counter clockwise and one cheeky footpath.

Screenshot_20220428-200248_OS Maps.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
This route around Grizedale takes in some of the descents mentioned above, missing some of the bits still closed after the storms. 45k, 1500mtrs of climbing, running counter clockwise and one cheeky footpath.

View attachment 86991
I've ridden all of that route..but not all at the same time !..
Two different rides one half starting from Coniston..and the other from Hawkshead ..but neither on an ebike ..13+ hours ?
Did you have the power switched off Steve...😁 and while that might sound daft is it doable on just one battery ?
I'm guessing that eco would have to be used a lot to get anywhere near that sort of range with a 625 wh battery ?
(29+ miles / 4921ft climbing..)

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
They are hiking up Sticks Pass!? That video shows a different route down, further south, Dollywagon Pike.

You want to go Clockwise on that link I posted.

see an alternate route here, with a few more rides available: Lake District Routes - LakesMTB
Unless you are into masochism..I would give that Nan Bield Pass route an extremely wide berth on an ebike ..as per the pic ..you will be carrying your bike most of the way from Haweswater..its a chore with a normal full sus ..and after a "summer"ride a good few years back which involved sheltering at the top from severe wind and sleet..I vowed never again ..and I never have ..😊

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Two different rides one half starting from Coniston..and the other from Hawkshead ..but neither on an ebike ..13+ hours ?
Did you have the power switched off Steve...😁 and while that might sound daft is it doable on just one battery ?
I'm guessing that eco would have to be used a lot to get anywhere near that sort of range with a 625 wh battery ?
We've done most of that route on one battery (625wh Bosch) , motor off on the flats, mostly tour everywhere else. We did the breasty haw descent twice for example

It was actually a slightly different route that totalled 32 miles and 5200 feet of climb

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Yes, it's doable on one battery but mainly eco , OS mapping was set to walk rather the cycle hence the 13hrs its just easier when using a FP on a route.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
We've done most of that route on one battery (625wh Bosch) , motor off on the flats, mostly tour everywhere else. We did the breasty haw descent twice for example

It was actually a slightly different route that totalled 32 miles and 5200 feet of climb
That's one of the great things about Grizedale so many variations of rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles