The best hardcore ebike routes in the Lake District (with no hike-a-bike)

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Unless you are into masochism..I would give that Nan Bield Pass route an extremely wide berth on an ebike ..as per the pic ..you will be carrying your bike most of the way from Haweswater..its a chore with a normal full sus ..and after a "summer"ride a good few years back which involved sheltering at the top from severe wind and sleet..I vowed never again ..and I never have ..😊
If you don't drop down to Haweswater there's a footpath to the left which takes you to the top of Nan Bield.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Awesome - thank you. Is that all ridable that way around?
Yep. BTW there's a bit that looks like a tabletop don't give it the full beans!!

If you've got battery left ride boredale or sliver point (that's tech but v short)
Boredale
SilverPoint

ullswater-604x400.jpg

Last edited:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I've ridden all of that route..but not all at the same time !..
Two different rides one half starting from Coniston..and the other from Hawkshead ..but neither on an ebike ..13+ hours ?
Did you have the power switched off Steve...😁 and while that might sound daft is it doable on just one battery ?
I'm guessing that eco would have to be used a lot to get anywhere near that sort of range with a 625 wh battery ?
(29+ miles / 4921ft climbing..)
I would cut the corner from Low Parkamoor off and ride down to Satterswaite from there and miss NIbthwaite if you are looking to shorten the route a bit and keep it doable on one battery.

blondie11411

Mar 18, 2022
Worthing
Just wondering if anyone had any good decents over the scafell pike area at all I’m going in summer and wondering if I should take the ebike

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
A couple more....easy to add extensions as lots of bridleways around both routes to rack up the vertical and the miles.

With the first route, go up and down the valley to the north of Stephenson Farm - a good track up and then singletrack back down on the left of the valley, then head south of the farm to add another 3 or 4 miles, its a bit bogey at the start of the detour south, but quickly dries up. There are routes back into Coniston that work well instead of heading back into Torver.

With the second route, at Skelwith bridge I normally go south past Pull Beck, then up Iron Keld, then down the route they are suggesting you climb, then head south along the road, then head up the track at Little wood, then over towards the south of Tarn Hows, then down due south towards Coniston on a very fast descent, then into Coniston and north back towards little wood and carry on with the route they suggest.

Last edited:

BrentH

Aug 19, 2021
UK
Skiddaw, pedal around to the yha then up to the top and drop off ullock pike.
It's as good as your gonna get.
I’ve been planning to to that route; do you mean past Skiddaw House and up past that way? (I need to get the map out!)

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Going to be at wheelbase in staverley tomorrow as a friend is getting his bike serviced there. Was thinking of doing a ride from there. Was tempted by nan bield but how much hike a bike is required? Not fun with an e-bike!

Any suggestions of routes near there?

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Here is one of mine. There is a few more on my site with gpx routes in the descriptions.
@stephenfostermtb

May 11, 2021
Innerliethern
Hey guys

Can anyone recommend some fairly hardcore ebike routes in the Lake District?

What I'm after is routes with little or no hike-a-bike (which obviously isn't great for heavy ebikes), and ideally (but not compulsorily), fairly gentle climbs so we're not spanking the batteries having to use turbo to get to the top. Tarmac climbs are also OK ;)

But what they absolutely must have is the most gnarly, technical singletrack descents out there please!

Ideally quite big rides with ~1,500m vert

If the route involves riding on footpaths, I can live with that :)

Hit me with your Strava links please!
hi, could you let me know what you decided on?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
From what I'm reading the kind of riding Robin Grant was wanting simply doesn't exist ..." Gentle climbs " ...but then married with " The gnarliest singletrack out there" ..you're joking right ?
Graham from Perth ...you've been given 60 routes to choose from and you still can't decide ...ffs!😁
Ride Walna Scar ..that has loads of technicality ....sorted !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles