SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
That sucks, not sure how you might remove them, Maybe a drill is you best bet. I snapped one of the shock bolts trying to torque to spec, I found the bolts are quite weak but when speaking to Jean they said they would make them stronger for future. I now use these TI bolts from Ali and they have been great so far.
You need a 33mm and. 38mm

AU$8.40 5%OFF | M6x1 Middle Nut Length 18-75mm Ti/Golden/Rainbow GR5 Titanium Bolts & Rod Nut For Bike Rear Suspension
Are you sure this bolt from the link has right diameter? Cuz the shock mounting hardware has 8mm internal diameter, so I guess this should be M8 bolt rather than M6? Or maybe the screw ID is M6 and OD of the sleeve is M8?

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Interesting development regarding OEM ICR headset creaking. At some point I started noticing the gap between headset top cap and the bearing cup underneath it is skewed, ie. wider at back than at front. After putting some thoughts into this I came to the conclusion this is probably caused by the stem with split clamp flexing under the force of preload screw, which needs to be tighten unusually strong on this headset to remove play. At this point I was using stem like in the pic below.

IMG_1470.jpg

After trying out stem with solid clamp like below, the gap is now even and the creaking is gone. I haven't had a chance to put this under heavy stress yet, but it seems resonable to assume that skewed top cap was putting uneven force on the split cone and the bearing underneath, resulting in creaking noises when turning handlebar left/right due to cone and bearing seating.

IMG_1471.jpg

The stem I tested it with is a temporary solution, I ordered green Deity Copperhead which also uses solid clamp. I guess the problem isn't really related to the stem material (softness of it), the same stem would work fine if the headset didn't require so much preload force. Anyway, solid clamp seems to fix it.

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Maybe some of you followed my build-thread, maybe some didn't - so I'll post some first pictures here as well... :)
1000082372.jpg
1000082375.jpg
1000082400.jpg
1000082401.jpg
1000082406.jpg
1000082407.jpg

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Interesting development regarding OEM ICR headset creaking. At some point I started noticing the gap between headset top cap and the bearing cup underneath it is skewed, ie. wider at back than at front. After putting some thoughts into this I came to the conclusion this is probably caused by the stem with split clamp flexing under the force of preload screw, which needs to be tighten unusually strong on this headset to remove play. At this point I was using stem like in the pic below.

View attachment 141154

After trying out stem with solid clamp like below, the gap is now even and the creaking is gone. I haven't had a chance to put this under heavy stress yet, but it seems resonable to assume that skewed top cap was putting uneven force on the split cone and the bearing underneath, resulting in creaking noises when turning handlebar left/right due to cone and bearing seating.

View attachment 141155

The stem I tested it with is a temporary solution, I ordered green Deity Copperhead which also uses solid clamp. I guess the problem isn't really related to the stem material (softness of it), the same stem would work fine if the headset didn't require so much preload force. Anyway, solid clamp seems to fix it.
Did the solid stem sort the problem with headset?

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Did the solid stem sort the problem with headset?
I can't say it's completely solved but the creaking happens much less frequently now and I don't feel headset knocking on the handlebar. There's still a bit of creaking which seems to be caused by uneven pressing of top bearing cup (left is ~0.3mm higher than right) but front-back skew of headset cover was fixed.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I can't say it's completely solved but the creaking happens much less frequently now and I don't feel headset knocking on the handlebar. There's still a bit of creaking which seems to be caused by uneven pressing of top bearing cup (left is ~0.3mm higher than right) but front-back skew of headset cover was fixed.
Perfect match for your set up. Will make that awesome sparkle green pop IMHO👊
PXL_20240331_004248489.jpg
PXL_20240331_003832313.jpg
PXL_20240331_003825344.MP.jpg

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
Hello. I want a carbon crank, but should I buy the one for BOSTH gen4? I also have a carbon crank from SZZS, but I've given up on it because it's making strange noises and feeling rough around the edges. I don't know when they'll be re-produced. Can someone tell me? Thank you.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
CEF50 for sale.
@TCFlowClyde I hope I can place an ad?
selling my cef 50. xl frame size, m820 motor and if you need a diy battery. kit comes with: complete frame. new front triangle that needs to be painted, engine, headset, thru axle. hanger and battery if needed. delivery possible in the territory of the European Union. everything else via messages.

if necessary, I have parts to assemble the whole bike.
Thanks

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
Hi everybody. My frame is on its way and I can't wait. Help me to solve one question... Jean says to use a 22x8mm shock bushing, but the frame diagram says 22.2x8mm. I will be using a rear shock RockShox Super Deluxe Select+. Which bushings should I order after all? Share your experience!

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
And immediately the question about the suitable shape for my shock, I found two options for the size, but I don’t understand which is correct for this frame (for RockShox Super Deluxe Select+):
1:
2:
?

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Hi everybody. My frame is on its way and I can't wait. Help me to solve one question... Jean says to use a 22x8mm shock bushing, but the frame diagram says 22.2x8mm. I will be using a rear shock RockShox Super Deluxe Select+. Which bushings should I order after all? Share your experience!
I used 22.2x8 (with RS Super Deluxe Ultimate). It's not easy to push them in but it's doable with a bit of grease and wit.

These are the ones I used 0.79£ 83% OFF|Mountain Bike Rear Shock Absorber Bushings, Rear Wheel Shock Absorber| | - AliExpress . The 2. option you list requires you to replace the DU sleeve originally mounted in the shock which I didn't want to do without a good reason (and I don't think there's 22.2mm option available).

masahirov

Jan 24, 2024
tokyo japan
Good evening, Yozha. I use a genuine RockShox 22.2x8. (DELUXE SELECT+) Tools are required to attach the mounting hardware to the shock. The installation on the bike is quite tight, but it works smoothly without any problems.

IMG_8074.PNG

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
what whould you mean by "The frame holds two 48V 10A batteries on 21700 cells". you have 2 10A battery inside the frame (960 Wh) ? you The frame holds 2 batteries of 10A 48V (960W). This is for long-distance trips. For short trips, I will install 1 480W battery. I also plan to make two 5a batteries for a bike park without a lift in order to ride a lighter bike. I can change it at the bottom of the track to a charged 5A battery.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Sorry lanton it's not clear for me. SZZS provide 2 batteries inside the frame and you can use the bike with only 1 (great improvement) ? or you will doing that yourself ? does they provide cover to close the battery hole ?

about DPE171; i use it on my 1075 on the handelbar, more efficient
DSCF2156.JPG
DSCF2157.JPG

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Sorry lanton it's not clear for me. SZZS provide 2 batteries inside the frame and you can use the bike with only 1 (great improvement) ? or you will doing that yourself ? does they provide cover to close the battery hole ?

about DPE171; i use it on my 1075 on the handelbar, more efficient View attachment 142171 View attachment 142172
There are 2 batteries installed in the frame. But I connect one to 10a. The cover will be printed on a 3D printer. Here is an example photo on the CEF49 frame

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-15 at 21.28.34.jpeg

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
On the V2 and V3 cef50, is anyone actually running a coil? Im finding the suspension dynamics not great to run a coil. On my air shock fox float x im finding the linkage ratio too regressive where im having to lower the air chamber volume because it blows thru the travel too much. I find it hard to believe you could run a coil without having to run way too high of a spring rate.

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
There are 2 batteries installed in the frame. But I connect one to 10a. The cover will be printed on a 3D printer. Here is an example photo on the CEF49 frame

View attachment 142176
Replacable batteries in cef50 are game changer for me. I will consider ordering V3 with non-ICR headset to replace my current one (or just a front triangle without hardware if it matches). But I don't quite understand what I see here, on pics with grey frame the battery opening is from the top, here on orange one it's on the bottom. Is this battery hole DIYed into v2, please explain? Is SZZT going to offer replaceable battery cases to match the opening in the frame, allowing to install 2x10Ah?

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
I made a hole in the frame myself and reinforced the lower pipe with carbon fiber. The weight increased by 400g. If we all ask Jean to make a factory hole in the frame and strengthen the lower pipe with carbon fiber. Then version 3.0 will be released with a removable battery. Imagine that you can install a choice of 5, 10, 15 or 20A 48V battery in the bottom pipe. Grey CEF50 frame. Orange frame CEF49

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
I made a hole in the frame myself and reinforced the lower pipe with carbon fiber. The weight increased by 400g. If we all ask Jean to make a factory hole in the frame and strengthen the lower pipe with carbon fiber. Then version 3.0 will be released with a removable battery. Imagine that you can install a choice of 5, 10, 15 or 20A 48V battery in the bottom pipe. Grey CEF50 frame. Orange frame CEF49
Holy crap. Lol. Got any pics of the reinforcement? Did you have to recure the reinforcement? How are you bonding this?

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Holy crap. Lol. Got any pics of the reinforcement? Did you have to recure the reinforcement? How are you bonding this?
For what purpose are you interested? If you have never worked with carbon fiber and repaired frames. Then it's better not to do it.

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
For what purpose are you interested? If you have never worked with carbon fiber and repaired frames. Then it's better not to do it.
Curiosity. I peripherally work with composites at work but it is another groups responsibility. My previous bike had a removable battery and I never once took it off, so dont really see a need for my personal use.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Curiosity. I peripherally work with composites at work but it is another groups responsibility. My previous bike had a removable battery and I never once took it off, so dont really see a need for my personal use.
I'm ok with the 720 Wh too....less weight for the motor drop frame. Soon I'll plan the extender mount for camping, but really haven't needed a larger one for me under 2.5 hrs of riding..👑

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles