Syncdrive pro 2020-2021 motor (pw-x2) on fathom e+ pro 2019 (pw-x)

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi!

Do you know if it is possible to replace the syncdrive pro motor from 2019 (pw-x) with the new pro motor from giant (pw-x2 based)?

I think the geometry is exactly the same and the mounting bolts are in the same place. I have already upgraded the ride control one unit with the 2020 one and the battery with the 625wh 2020 one.

I know I can't directly buy the motor from giant... but I am always looking at forums and ebay trying to find one :D

However I would like to know if this is possible or if I should stop searching XD

thanks!!!

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
PW-X2 has extra 2 sensors as far as I remember. And speed sensor in 2020 bikes has been moved to rear axle, and in 2019 or earlier bikes, it's on rear triangle and magnet on spoke.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Interesting to note that my 2021 Stance E+2 29er has the same spoke magnet mount that my 2019 Fathom has.
Stance E+ has Syncdrive Sport engine... Stance E+ Pro, Trance E+. Reign E+ has Syncdrive Pro (more pwr and torque). But to be honest, speed sensor works the same on the both bikes/engines. About speed sensor, and located them on wheel or hub, I think the problem will be with calibrate them... both works the same magnet pin just spining around sensor, but diameter are completly different.... I think if put an engine PW-X2 and conect them to wheel magnet sensor it will propably de-ristrict Your bike because, this sensor will show a lot slower speed instead of sensor located on rear axle - funny but Planet 3 tool for de-restrict works the same ;)

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
I don't agree with you : whatever the position of the magnet is on the spoke (or on the brake disc) it will not change the bike speed reading. When the wheel does one rotation, the magnet does also one rotation, so no difference. You are confusing between linear speed of the magnet (depending on its position relative to the rear wheel axle) and angular speed (which is used to measure bike speed).

With a planetary gear system like planet3, the wheel does more or less 3 rotations when the magnet located on the satellite does only one : here the speed is divided by 3.

For me, if the PW-X and PW-X2 share the same mounting bolts then they must be 100% exchangeable and I believe they do. The 2 extra sensors are inside the motor and are just used for automatic mode in combination with the correct remote.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Nice info here, thanks!
Any chance you know where to get a pw-x2 motor or syncdrive pro 2020+ replacement? Estimated price?

Cheers!

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Sorry Kuri, I don't know where to find one. I would tell you to look for a broken bike sold for parts, but not easy to find...

One terrible thing with Giant is that they are the biggest manufacturer in the world but we can't find any drawings of e-bikes with spare parts ref numbers like we can find for many other brands. Each time you want a specific part you have to ask your dealer.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
I don't agree with you : whatever the position of the magnet is on the spoke (or on the brake disc) it will not change the bike speed reading. When the wheel does one rotation, the magnet does also one rotation, so no difference. You are confusing between linear speed of the magnet (depending on its position relative to the rear wheel axle) and angular speed (which is used to measure bike speed).

With a planetary gear system like planet3, the wheel does more or less 3 rotations when the magnet located on the satellite does only one : here the speed is divided by 3.

For me, if the PW-X and PW-X2 share the same mounting bolts then they must be 100% exchangeable and I believe they do. The 2 extra sensors are inside the motor and are just used for automatic mode in combination with the correct remote.
So which sensor count the mileage of bike ? Any other ? It does not make sense ... bike has one sensor for speed, and for particualr circumference of wheel they count speed and mileage. If You put Planet 3 Your virtualy slow down Your bike, and software of engine "thinks" that You are riding slower that it is real. Affect of that kind of de-restrict is fake speed and mileage. Just see YT movies, that shows how it works. On the Giant bike, if You put Planet3 and connect to RideControl App and ride on the bike, speed and mileage will be faked. BTW maybe I'm wrong... but E-bike are not so complicated they are simple

About PW-X and X2 and mounting... You are completely right for 99,99% bolts, and other are equal, and 2 extra sensors, are as far as I remember for angle measure and someting else... and has changed/re-designed inside ratchet. Problem is that it is almoust impossible to buy a new PW-X2 engine without bike ;)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Are you sure the mounting positions are the same?

1613121447537.png

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I have a 2018 giant full e pro , it originally had a pwx 1 motor but that was replaced with a pwx2 under warranty . It's not quite as easy as unbolting motors - I think you also need to replace controllers. It's like they speak a different language and confuse each other.

When my pwx2 was installed, giant also supplied a new controller ( in my case the evo screen) - faultless, it behaves like a 2020 pwx2 - auto mode, high cadence support, super quiet.

But if I plug in my old controller ( evo screen) everything gets confused and my bike decides to only have 3 speeds ( even though that old screen had 5 speeds with the pwx1)

Apparently I could plug a new trance handlebar switchblock ( controller) in and the bike will function normally with the pwx2 - it's about $70 aus. I'll probably do this when this late model evo screen dies.

I still have the original speed sensor, and the wiring harness from the motor up to the bars - compatible between motors.

For what it's worth, the 2017 full e had a sport motor, I understand the frame mounts are identical to the 2018 pro ( pwx) frame - ie sport to pwx have similar mounts.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Fine, and what makes you think the ratchet is any different?
I read it somewhere... but it could maybe refer to pw vs pw-x(2)... so I have just copied that and could be wrong.

Please do not take my words so literal, I was just saying that both motors are similar :D

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I read it somewhere... but it could maybe refer to pw vs pw-x(2)... so I have just copied that and could be wrong.

Please do not take my words so literal, I was just saying that both motors are similar :D

I suspect you saw the add showing quick engagement in the pwx2 compared with pw - all those extra teeth?
33B894DD-28CF-4805-B4F2-44FAC755DDF4.jpeg

They used the same image to market the pwx1 in2018. But if there really is a difference I'd love to know.

Sorry if you dislike my attempts to clarify your errors, but eventually people are going to have to take these motors apart and swap bits between 2 faulty motors. The op is already considering fitting a pwx 2 in a pw bike. I've come to grief trying to use the old evo screen on my new motor.

It's hard to find reliable information about the internals of these things because most failures during warranty result in a motor replacement rather than repair. Why add false nformation?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hey, I am the op and what I want is to fit a pwx2 in a pwx bike, not in a pw bike ;)

No problem, it is best to have the right info here, so correct me as needed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles