Yamaha PW-X - Giant Trance e+ 2019 - Stripped Flywheel - Motor Replacement

biker23

Nov 14, 2020
Sydney
This is the result of a pedal strike - $1,800 AUD - Thankfully covered by insurance.
I have found the COG for $700 Pounds - But didn't appear to be readily available. Thinking of using a 3D printer

Any thoughts out there

IMG-20201105-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Wow! What was your feelings? How did you know something got broken?

I can't suggest 3d printing... at least not home 3d printing. I have some experience with them and I don't think the piece will last for long and won't be perfect shape...

biker23

Nov 14, 2020
Sydney
Wow! What was your feelings? How did you know something got broken?

I can't suggest 3d printing... at least not home 3d printing. I have some experience with them and I don't think the piece will last for long and won't be perfect shape...
Yes a little shocked - Intitally though Warranty, but it was a pretty hard knock - Poor design in my opinion.

When the cog and drive pin got to the point it just free spun.

Yes I agree on the 3d printing - I wouldn't have thought you could have Nylon that strong - Apparently they are available to replace in the UK for 700 pounds - So $1,400 AUD.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
If you're in Australua, can you approach giant Australua and see if they have that gear in any returned motors or if they could sell you a used one from a warranty motor?

Even if you waited until they got in the replacement motor for someone who is currently awaiting a warranty motor.....

ps Where in oz are you? Anywhere near stealth in springvale vic? I suspect they would have contacts who can build helical cut gears out of stronger material if you want to

biker23

Nov 14, 2020
Sydney
£700!!!?? For a gear!... I am way too cheap! I have a gear if you want one, just contact me at [email protected] We ship to Australia no problem and you should able able to save yourself about £600!
Hi, one of your team emailed me to advise they don't have any - And referred me to avdweb. They advised they are a few months away from manufacturing them. (As per their website) - But if this is wrong - Happy to purchase

Email link was: Yamaha PW-X2

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Don't worry, we have parts coming and going all the time. Unfortunately we can't keep track of who wants what as we get asked on a daily basis for all sorts.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
For anyone else panicking about their gear, this us the link for advweb he mentions

Makes me wonder how common this problem is and why it's NOT a warranty problem when the gear dies from a pedal strike?

Logical argument to Giant - if they don't have any serviceable second hand gears from motors with electrical gremlins, then perhaps there is a design fault?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
I won't make a new cog in aluminum because the original nylon one is probably :
1 used like a fuse to avoid damaging other (costly) parts inside the motor
2 used to reduce the noise of the motor

Possibly any local machine shop can machine nylon as well as aluminum ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
There are motors on ebay right now if @Bearing Man cant get you a gear soon enough. You could likely take your needed gear out, and sell the other components for a net wash.

This is not a common failure. There are no common failures with yamaha. There is nothing to see here. The parts are fine.

biker23

Nov 14, 2020
Sydney
£700!!!?? For a gear!... I am way too cheap! I have a gear if you want one, just contact me at [email protected] We ship to Australia no problem and you should able able to save yourself about £600!

Hi, Just wondering if you have any of the flywheels for the Yamaha Motors which I stripped - I ended up getting an insurance job but would like to fix my motor

Thanks Andrew

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles