Syncdrive pro Factory reset motor?

n2o_spark

Oct 30, 2018
Australia
Has anyone been able to do a firmware reset / re-flash on the syncdrive pro?
I've got a 2022 reign that has 'died' the motor in the shops diagnostic gives error code 6A.
I've not been able to find documentation of this anywhere. But after an email exchange with a Giant employee ( not a local bike shop, but national agency contact ), it was suggested that this is a speed sensor based issue, that i try a new speed sensor and or updating the firmware on the unit.
I'm already running the latest firmware (2022-03-28) for the motor, and latest firmware on the gateway ( 2023-02-15-000 ).

Last edited:

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Wh
I've got a 2022 reign that has 'died' the motor in the shops diagnostic gives error code 6A.
I've not been able to find documentation of this anywhere. But after an email exchange with a Giant employee ( not a local bike shop, but national agency contact ), it was suggested that this is a speed sensor based issue, that i try a new speed sensor and or updating the firmware on the unit.
I'm already running the latest firmware (2022-03-28) for the motor, and latest firmware on the gateway ( 2023-02-15-000 ).
Now the kicker is that I have been using a speed limit defeater. And it was mentioned in the email exchange, that the software sometimes has hissy fits and throws a code. It CAN do this even without a limiter, but in that case, you MAY be covered by warranty.
I've been quoted around $1000 AUD for the option of having the unit refurbished and sent back. It's done less than 600km, and everything inside is quite good. So $1000 AUD for a firmware re-flash is pretty steep.
Unfortunately, the shop tool ( special giant bluetooth dongle ) doesn't allow for performing a re-flash.
If anyone has any thoughts, please share.
The reality is, the motors keep track of the hours used, and average speed. And then Giant makes a judegment call and says your average speed is not inline with what we expect for the use case. So bad luck.
The cost is what it is, but it would be good if i could just re-flash first.

What derestrict are you running?

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
If it's a speed sensor then the middle (3rd) left led on the top tube will flash red.

Have you changed the brake rotors recently (or a wheel with them on for another wheel with a rotor already fitted)? If so, make sure you transfer across the small magnet that's mounted to the rotor through two of the 6-bolt bolts.

P_G_

Jul 12, 2023
Hungary
Many months have passed and there is no solution. More and more Giant e-bike motors stop working. Very few people write about it, but there are thousands of cases.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Latest SmartGateway version is 2023069000 and comes down over the air when you connect the bike with the app

P_G_

Jul 12, 2023
Hungary
If anyone does get a speed sensor error and within diagnostics error 6A then the motor needs reprogrammed to fix this. Giant are the only ones who can do it and will charge you for the privilege but shouldn’t need a new motor just reprogrammed.
It can only be reprogrammed once.If you continue to use tuning and the error appears again, the engine must be replaced. I know because it happened to me. And this is not replaced under warranty. Speedbox tuning caused this. With volspeed it does not stop and there is no 6A error code. In theory...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles