Levo Gen 3 Swat Tool/Spacers

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
So my new stem and spacers finally showed up, I attempted to install them before I had to leave to head up to Inverness. My new stem is smaller than the Diety one that came on the bike, no matter what combination of spacers I use I end up with about a 1mm gap at the top of the steerer tube. The only way I can get it to work is to use the 10mm spacer below the stem and none above it, just the swat tool. Do I need a spacer under the swat tool or can I just tighten it down and be good to go?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
What 1mm gap are you talking about? Can you show it with photo?
SWAT tool might need a bit elevation above the stem so that rotation of its door won't collide with the stem itself, but that depends more on the stem shape ... But it is always better to have steering tube few mm above the stem and then install thin spacer on the top ...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
What 1mm gap are you talking about? Can you show it with photo?
SWAT tool might need a bit elevation above the stem so that rotation of its door won't collide with the stem itself, but that depends more on the stem shape ... But it is always better to have steering tube few mm above the stem and then install thin spacer on the top ...
I’m about 3 hours away from the bike right now, won’t be back home until tomorrow afternoon. I can put a spacer on top of the stem but there’s about a 1mm gap between the spacer and the swat tool, when I tighten everything up the spacer is loose and you can still see the 1mm or so of steerer tube in the gap. I’ve tried to rearrange the spacers but the burgtec kit doesn’t come with a huge selection of sizes.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Then you'll need a new/different spacer kit. Steering tube should be about 2-3mm below the upper end of the spacer (or from the upper stem edge, if you have no spacer on the top) before you tighten everything up. After you tighten the stem (to properly preload the headset bearing) there will be around 1mm of gap left between the SWAT tool (or cap) and steering tube upper edge, but you most probably (depends on the stem shape) won't be able to see that gap so easily because it's hidden inside ...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Then you'll need a new/different spacer kit. Steering tube should be about 2-3mm below the upper end of the spacer (or from the upper stem edge, if you have no spacer on the top) before you tighten everything up. After you tighten the stem (to properly preload the headset bearing) there will be around 1mm of gap left between the SWAT tool (or cap) and steering tube upper edge, but you most probably (depends on the stem shape) won't be able to see that gap so easily because it's hidden inside ...
If I use the 20mm spacer below the stem I get about 2mm of steerer tube below the upper edge of the stem with no spacer on top. I tighten everything up and the preload looks/feels right there’s just no spacer on the top, all my other builds have at least a 3mm spacer above the stem.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Try if it works without spacer on the top. Or else find 15mm spacer for below the stem and put 5mm spacer on the top, but this way you will lower the stem/handlebar for 5mm ...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Try if it works without spacer on the top. Or else find 15mm spacer for below the stem and put 5mm spacer on the top, but this way you will lower the stem/handlebar for 5mm ...
I’ll mess around with it again when I get back home tomorrow. The smart route would be to re-cut the steerer tube where I need it but that’s a huge hassle. I’d have to take the fork to my LBS since I don’t have the guide tool.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
But it seems that your steerer tube is already a bit too short, why would you want to cut it even more? I'm sure LBS will have the right spacers to sort you out...

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
But it seems that your steerer tube is already a bit too short, why would you want to cut it even more? I'm sure LBS will have the right spacers to sort you out...
Yeah, I didn’t have any say in the length. The shop that built the bike cut it but it had a ton of 5mm spacers under the stem and 1 on the top. I think my problem is the stem size is different, I swapped out the Diety for an Industry nine. It seems to be a bit beefier, that’s where the issue is coming from. I tried to set it up with the same spacers it was delivered with but it wasn’t even close.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles