Levo Gen 3 SWAT Tool Kit Bent?

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
So after using the SWAT chain break tool, it appears to be bent, or maybe they are supposed to be like that. Have a look at the photo and you can see the threaded section is out of line with the rest of the unit. Would anyone be interested in taking their tool kit out to se if it is the same or not? I would really appreciate it.

31F34C55-85CE-47B0-BB83-D691198287ED.jpeg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
More likely you have tightened headset too much causing swat tool to bend....

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I found it very hard to believe you could bend swat tool like that while breaking the chain without damaging the chain while doing it ... I used this chain breaker feature several times with no issues. I still believe more likely this swat tool is bent from excessive headset tightening ...

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I honestly don't get the point here. Having to remove and reinstall a piece that also tensions the headset seems like a PITA to do trailside. I took the SWAT out of my Levo and put a conventional star nut and headset cap/bolt in.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Removing the swat tool trailside won't affect your headset because stem bolts are the one holding headset together and you don't touch them if you want to remove swat tool ...

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I found it very hard to believe you could bend swat tool like that while breaking the chain without damaging the chain while doing it ... I used this chain breaker feature several times with no issues. I still believe more likely this swat tool is bent from excessive headset tightening ...
You would have to seriously tighten the headset bolt to do that , probably strip the threads before tbh 😳
Yeah I removed my one too it is a PITA so I just carry the multi tool and a separate chain breaker in my hip pack now 🤟

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Removing the swat tool trailside won't affect your headset because stem bolts are the one holding headset together and you don't touch them if you want to remove swat tool ...

Still easier just to grab the multi-tool from my pack....

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
Now imagine how would you do that with breaking a chain? 🤣
Laugh all you want. I’ve always been very careful tightening the headset to ensure not to over tighten. common sense would also tell you that the threads with strip, and you would have to use a large wrench to achieve that. Also, it couldn’t bend inside the head tube from tightening, as it would be pulling straight down not on an angle. The only thing that has changed is I used it to break the chain. i’m not sure why I’m even trying to defend myself here 🙄

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^Actually due to the cutout, the chain breaker DOES have a higher chance to bend at that spot when tightening the headset, DESPITE the bolt being in-line with the center of the steerer...

I LOVE the SWAT, but find it fiddly to line up so the logo/cap is parallel to the bars and it is missing the smallest wrench for my Code R Pads, which I have had crap get tossed into the calipers and bend the pad separator spring so that it is rubbing on the disc rotor. Could have been fixed trailside with another tool....

I found I disliked the One-UP EDC as it was a PITA on steep trails, often dropping the lever/chain breaker. Where I ride it is often hard to stand up on the trail, let alone put a bike down.

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
^Actually due to the cutout, the chain breaker DOES have a higher chance to bend at that spot when tightening the headset, DESPITE the bolt being in-line with the center of the steerer...

I LOVE the SWAT, but find it fiddly to line up so the logo/cap is parallel to the bars and it is missing the smallest wrench for my Code R Pads, which I have had crap get tossed into the calipers and bend the pad separator spring so that it is rubbing on the disc rotor. Could have been fixed trailside with another tool....

I found I disliked the One-UP EDC as it was a PITA on steep trails, often dropping the lever/chain breaker. Where I ride it is often hard to stand up on the trail, let alone put a bike down.
Yup that’s the Location of the bend. I just sent a message to customer care at specialized explaining what happened. Let’s see what they say.

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
Sorry, forgot to update. Specialized credited my LBS the full amount, as they can get that part here in Canada 🤷🏻‍♂️. I wouldn’t want another one again anyway. Specialized were great to deal with. I installed a regular star nut and top cap and will carry my tools from here on out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles