Levo Gen 3 SWAT tool covered in mud and won’t release.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
Every time I come back from a ride my Swat tool is covered in mud and refuses to release. I clean everything out and make sure it releases…..go for a ride….come back and it’s covered in mud and wont release. Luckily I’ve never needed to use it. How do I stop the mud getting in.

Electric Life

Electric Life
Nov 29, 2022
Birmingham
Hey @Baron - Which Swat tool is it you have? The one which hides in the steerer, the one underneath the bottle cage or the ones which are above the rear shock like on the older Stumpys?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If the mud is getting up the steerer then you need to block the steerer tube at the bottom. I have used plastic bungs of the sort that anglers use in the ends of their fishing rods during storage. (see pic). Every tackle shop will have a box of them in different sizes, pierce a small hole to allow the steerer tube to breath. I have also used the cap from a large tube of Smarties.

Headtube.JPG

Electric Life

Electric Life
Nov 29, 2022
Birmingham
Steerer type
Ahh ok, yeah they're a super nice tool but can be a little susceptible to a few things. If it's not releasing after you turn the cap, then the advice from @steve_sordy is excellent and a solid solution. If the cover doesn't turn or is super stiff, this can the installation and as @Zimmerframe pointed out, was super common in 2020 and '21 bikes even from new....

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
If the mud is getting up the steerer then you need to block the steerer tube at the bottom. I have used plastic bungs of the sort that anglers use in the ends of their fishing rods during storage. (see pic). Every tackle shop will have a box of them in different sizes, pierce a small hole to allow the steerer tube to breath. I have also used the cap from a large tube of Smarties.

View attachment 102991
Fantastic idea Steve, 🙏

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
Never had the sticking / mud problem but mine rattled like no other on descents. With the new build I went with the OneUp version and it does come with an end cap for the bottom which I did think was a really nice touch when I installed it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles