Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So the stock Fox X2 on my Levo is already suffering from cavitation, sounded awful and erratic rebound. So that’s going off to Fox under warranty.

Decided that I’d treat it to a coil, but seems there are only a few options that are deemed suitable for the Levos due to the side stress on a coil shaft.

So yesterday I purchased the EXT Storia V3 from Chris at Mojo. They’ve made some damping changes already to suit the new leverage curve on the Gen 3 - (fromMojo: bit softer on the compression setting but more progressive (more high speed damping) on the rebound settings.)

It should be here next week, I’ll keep this thread updated with progress and Ride reports.

5EFAC5E8-0685-4943-904B-D34D78261E94.jpeg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Air shocks doing what air shocks do. They really are garbage, expensive garbage in fox's case. Looking forward to the review & kind of kicking myself for not spending a bit more to buy this when I replaced my shock recently.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
hi I have an RS Coil ultimate shock 210x55 on my Levo 2019 and it seems to be fine also on the 2022 as soon as my bike arrives I will update the tread with my impressions (y)

What problem exactly does X2 give you, maybe too rebound, is it too fast?

1620818083187.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'd have probably kept the X2 in the Levo, but the shock is now faulty. Air has air mixed with oil. I first noticed a sloshing sound when compressing the rear. After a few more rides I could feel a slight knocking feel in the rear with small repeated kits (for example riding over 200 metres of tree roots, it felt a bit off, slight bumping sensation).

I know something wasnt quite right. So I took it out. Letting out a bit of pressure out and compressing the shock and watching it return, I could see it 'bump' through the travel... ie not completely smooth - it would start smooth and then almost stop, then bump through the final part of the travel.

I've really liked every coil based bike / shock that I've ridden, so hoping that the EXT lives up to to its reputation on the Levo.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
So the stock Fox X2 on my Levo is already suffering from cavitation, sounded awful and erratic rebound. So that’s going off to Fox under warranty.

Decided that I’d treat it to a coil, but seems there are only a few options that are deemed suitable for the Levos due to the side stress on a coil shaft.

So yesterday I purchased the EXT Storia V3 from Chris at Mojo. They’ve made some damping changes already to suit the new leverage curve on the Gen 3 - (fromMojo: bit softer on the compression setting but more progressive (more high speed damping) on the rebound settings.)

It should be here next week, I’ll keep this thread updated with progress and Ride reports.

View attachment 61248

Hi Rob, i've got a question. From Fox website, they declare a specific measure to take in account before change coil shock.

Information on "Strut-mount" bikes and FOX/Marzocchi coil shocks | Bike Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)

The shock stroke is 55 mm, so max strut lenght must be 98 mm

I measure this and for me is under max lenght. Photo have a bad perspective but i measure from shock to the first leverage point, not the last one link to the triangle

IMG_1185.JPG

What do you think about it ?

For my first 1500 km, X2 is not bad, but suffering from pressure drop to much. In a week it goes from 215 to 195, constantly

Luca

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I'm very happy with the EXT Arma on my 2019 Levo carbon. Hugely better on the endless washboard hard pack around here, and so far has not bottomed out on the smallish drops I've tried.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Gen 2 levo ate 3 x2's.... Couldn't get a dhx2 to work, levo was Way too linear....
I'm the guinnee pig regarding an ext storia on the gen 3, Was a 600 spring on a gen 2, So Fitted Same shock on the gen 3,Same spring and tune. little carpark testride outside mojo's, Became very clear the gen 2 and 3 progression is chalk and cheese, Bunny hop threw my feet off the pedals.... I went down through the springs, ended on a 525, may go 500 yet. But also Had jack alter both compression and rebound circuits, Work is limited my riding time atm, but will give them more feedback when iv get few more miles on it

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
hi I have an RS Coil ultimate shock 210x55 on my Levo 2019 and it seems to be fine also on the 2022 as soon as my bike arrives I will update the tread with my impressions (y)

View attachment 61255
A bit off issue. But I'm thinking of replacing the deluxe shock on my 2020 Comp with the RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate (210 x 52.5)
Have you had any issues with yours & what weight spring do you use? All up, with kit on I'm about 100kg & thinking of going with the 600?
Do you feel the coil shock gives a better bump/ride experience? Any advice would be appreciated...

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
A bit off issue. But I'm thinking of replacing the deluxe shock on my 2020 Comp with the RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate (210 x 52.5)
Have you had any issues with yours & what weight spring do you use? All up, with kit on I'm about 100kg & thinking of going with the 600?
Do you feel the coil shock gives a better bump/ride experience? Any advice would be appreciated...
The rs coil cracked on the rebound end eyelet on mine, fitted to a 20 kenevo. I would not recommend.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Not Rob but I've read your post and dont understand what you are asking. If your X2 is leaking, it needs a service.

My question was about gen3 and DHX2 compatibility.

For me the link is under the max tolerance, isnt it ?

About leaking, it's to early to say that, but i'm suffering a bit of this issue

Luca

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy

Hi, I installed 210x55 instead of 210x52.5 so I have a little more travel but no problems with the frame.
It is true that some spring shocks broke on the Levo but I knew about this problem with Cane Creek not from RS,
however I have been using this RS coil for over a year and have never had any problems.
About the spring I weigh 90kg + kit and I use spring 550, I also tried spring 500 but I prefer 550.

@Rob Rides EMTB
What difference did you notice with the rear eliminator gravity? Do you recommend it?
Lately I have been using Eddy Current rear and it is super strong, maybe the stock Trail carcass is not very strong for my 90 kg ...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Good choice... Im pretty sure you'll have the same tune as me now, Let me know what you think when you've had few hours on it.
First micro test.... Damn, it’s good! Just a quick 1 hour loop but absolutely night and day difference. Glued to the floor and removes the slightest bit of chatter from the trails.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I wonder how this compares to the ohlins coil.

I haven't used the new X2 but it seems like everyone is having reliability problems with it. It's also a pig to service too.

Can't decide whether to sell the X2 new and get a coil from day 1.
Both very good coil shocks, The onlins is also surviving on my mates kanevo, he had a lot of problems with other coils...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Why a Storia instead of an Arma? Do you use a climb switch?

(for others who are not familiar, the Arma has a user adjustable hydraulic bottom out control (HBC), the Storia has a fixed HBC tune (adjustable via disassembly) but with a climb switch...which seems wasted on an ebike and just something else that might fail/need service.)

I wonder how this compares to the ohlins coil.

I haven't ridden Ohlins, but have ridden a couple of other coils. The EXT Coils are significantly different than Fox and Cane Creek. Much more "racy" feeling. They ride very high in the travel with excellent support yet still manage to suck up all the chatter. Very nice. One thing to be aware of is they are quite noisy.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

(for others who are not familiar, the Arma has a user adjustable hydraulic bottom out control (HBC), the Storia has a fixed HBC tune (adjustable via disassembly) but with a climb switch...which seems wasted on an ebike and just something else that might fail/need service.)

I haven't ridden Ohlins, but have ridden a couple of other coils. The EXT Coils are significantly different than Fox and Cane Creek. Much more "racy" feeling. They ride very high in the travel with excellent support yet still manage to suck up all the chatter. Very nice. One thing to be aware of is they are quite noisy.
Didn’t really consider the Arma to be honest. My assumption was the Storia would be more appropriate for my bike and riding ?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen

Agreed, The ext feels like the Zeb forks, in that it manages to stay high in its travel without that harsh rebound feeling. I went with the storia as that is what mojo recommended for my bike, I’m lucky enough to live 30 mins from mojos so just pop over and leave the experts to make any adjustments

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
lo
I’ll keep this thread updated with progress and Ride reports.
looking forward to that, ive been in the market for replacing my Levo 2020 rockshox cos it really does suck.
I was considering the X2, now ive seen a few people have issues with the X2 and Levo combination and now I am not so sure..
the Ohlins is a fave but really interested to know how you get on with the EXT.. I dont mind spending the money if its the kippers tits..

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I notice that the back screw are upside down instead of old gen Levo and di SL.
it’s really impossible to put a dinamometer key on that side.

How you manage to screw that bolt to 24 nm ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I notice that the back screw are upside down instead of old gen Levo and di SL.
it’s really impossible to put a dinamometer key on that side.

How you manage to screw that bolt to 24 nm ?
By best guesstimate using hand.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
The ebike specific EXT Storia has thicker spring collars and a solid rod within the hollow shaft for strength. Did you get the e-bike version @Rob? Bit tricky to tell from your photo. It’s worth checking.

Also, apparently the EXT fork is a thing of beauty.....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles