Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My question was about gen3 and DHX2 compatibility.

For me the link is under the max tolerance, isnt it ?

About leaking, it's to early to say that, but i'm suffering a bit of this issue

Luca
Sorry Luca, not sure really. I think it’s risky.

Patrick_MATB

Apr 14, 2021
Mannheim Germany
I'd have probably kept the X2 in the Levo, but the shock is now faulty. Air has air mixed with oil. I first noticed a sloshing sound when compressing the rear. After a few more rides I could feel a slight knocking feel in the rear with small repeated kits (for example riding over 200 metres of tree roots, it felt a bit off, slight bumping sensation).

I know something wasnt quite right. So I took it out. Letting out a bit of pressure out and compressing the shock and watching it return, I could see it 'bump' through the travel... ie not completely smooth - it would start smooth and then almost stop, then bump through the final part of the travel.

I've really liked every coil based bike / shock that I've ridden, so hoping that the EXT lives up to to its reputation on the Levo.
Hi Rob, I put in my levo sl the 2021 fox float x2 Kashima and had also noisy issues. My shock hat some sandy creaking noise when during compression. Firstly I thought the bolt at the upper schock eye damged the thread within the frame but hopefully not. I cleaned the thread if some mettalic small parts braked in there but the noises are still present. Did you have the same "noises"?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
4C23057B-EDFB-487D-B470-65AD6010C6A8.png

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
As a test tomorrow I'm going to put the 160mm Zeb on the Front. The Fox 38 is great but I think I miss that comfort that the Zeb was giving (on the Trek Rail)... It could just be in my head, but I will give it a go and report back.

I have the Zeb with Vorsprung Secus with EXT Storia V3 on the Sam 6.8. Works really well and the Zeb gets even better and coil like.

20201215_212700.jpg

20210114_161423.jpg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Planning on doing the exact same thing… Will pull zeb off my rail, Iv already tuned it just right… Not that was any hardship. May try a 170 air shaft in it too, but one step at a time, too easy to get lost in what was good and not so when on a new bike

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Alright, gave the Fox 38 one last chance this morning. The goal: to get a nice smooth off the top but decent mid stroke with bottom out resistance.

I already mentioned in another post, since riding the Gen 3 Levo, I have been finding after a standard fast ride in the Surrey Hills my hands are a bit battered. Side note... this could be a combination of the stiff carbon wheels, carbon frame and carbon bars.

Rider Weight: 85KG
Tyre PSI: 24f 27r
Fork: Fox Factory 38

Over the past couple of months I have mostly been running the Fox 38 at around 17% sag and about 92psi (my weight riding is 85KG). I've been running it at like this mainly to get it to ride high in travel and not bottom out.

So first ride this morning I wanted to set sag to 20% (which only actually needed around 80 psi, compared to 97 PSI recommended for my 85 KG weight on the fork guide). I hoped that this would improve the small bump compliance and reduce trail chatter. Weirdly this 80 psi seems much too low, but thats just how it is for me to get "correct" sag level on this fork.

First ride: Some roots and basic trails. Felt nice. Definitely a bit smoother. So far so good.

OK next to a drop. Maybe 4 foot to flat. Hit this and CRACK! Nice, harsh bottom out. No worries, 4 foot to flat, maybe thats asking a bit much with fairly low psi. Faff around with HCS and LSC a bit. Hit it again, same thing, crack!.

Next hit a jump, 8-10 foot, nice landing. CRACK! Bottomed the F outta it again. So 80 psi, 2 tokens, feels nice on the trails, but no way near enough support.

Back home, put another token in it. So now 3 tokens, set sag to 20%. Do the runs again. CRACK! she bottoms out.

Next I played with the PSI, adding 3 psi after each bottom out to try to find the sweet spot. I try and tune the fork to what I will typically be riding, use all available travel and try to keep it fairly comfortable.

In the end I found a setting that *almost* works, but hit a jump about 15 foot, CRACK, bottom out again.

To summarise, my particular fork needs a decent amount of PSI to run pretty low sag (15-17%) to keep it running high in the travel, definitely closer to their recommended settings for my weight, at the expense of rider comfort. And when my hands start getting battered on the trail it actually makes feeling the front tyre, feedback and grip levels a but more difficult...

I'm now gonna go fit the Zeb

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OK so Zeb test on the Levo. complete. Only 10 miles on the Levo but I didn't need any more time to know it works much, much better for me. Here's some comparisons between the Fox 38 Vs Zeb Ultimate.

I've ridden the Fox 38 exactly 500 miles exclusively on the Levo. I've had the Zeb for about 6 months, on the Trek Rail. I reckon I've covered about 300 miles on it.

Zeb notes:
Although I took my shock pump, I didn't even need to use it at all. Set the pressure once and that was it. LSC and HSC both open.Rebound about half way (5 clicks if I remember).

It definitely rides higher in its travel, much easier to lift the front wheel. Although on steeper climbs I could feel the front getting pretty light, more body language needed to weight the front wheel.

Its so much more supple in the initial stroke. No harshness, unlike the Fox 38. I did the exact same tests as I did with the Fox 38 (small drops to flat, some longer jumps) and not a single bottom out at all, it just provided stiff, stable and supportive suspension travel right through the 160mm. The fork is very impressive in that it pretty much gives the best of both; initial supple travel to remove most of the harshness and chatter, roots, small bumps but also can take bigger impacts.

So to me and my riding, the Zeb is better in every way than the Fox 38:
  • More supple / plush
  • Easier to set up, one ride and its done
  • Bottomless travel
  • Easier for me to service
  • Cheaper if you're comparing vs Fox 38
Side bonus - looks better on the bike!

4CEE44AA-6F5F-4B5F-86CC-0782ED99CBC9.jpeg

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Reading this thread makes me regret preordering some new fox 36's..

Do the factory fox 36s with grip2 suffer from the same harshness and lack of bottom out support?
I figured they would be an upgrade over the performance forks that came with the bike.

Edit: would I notice a 44mm offset instead of the 51mm on the bike?
I can see there's a 160mm era fork in stock at mojo

Last edited:

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
This is the reason I'm keeping clear of these two brands. I had a feeling the fox lacked small bump and chatter sensitivity just like it did on my decoy and the rockshox has its own issues with diving and lack of support in the first 50% of travel.

The other issues are that the RS adjustments are basically useless. The 5 clicks of high speed are ok but the LSC is useless as anything you do to it other than leave it fully open makes the ride horrible with no discernable benefit. The rebound knob is about as budget as you can get. In fact the whole shock is budget. Build quality is typical mass production and I have oil leaking out my boxxer constantly and nobody seems to be able to stop it. I do prefer the RS though as it's good at what it does most of the time.

I have never tried the ohlins fork but people say good things.

I'll be honest I feel liberated by the frameset and even more so because the X2 that comes on it is highly desirable and will sell for good money brand new right off the bike. Now if only they would do custom paint on the frame sets we are good to go.

I'll report back on the ERA if my frame ever manages to arrive and I get it fitted.

The best SC forks is the EXT Era. I have one on my Geometron G1 analogue bike.

Price wise and if on a budget, I will say a RS Zeb in E bike version pimped with Vorsprung Secus or Smashpot is a really good option. I think it comes almost in at 60% of the ERA.

Spending big bucks on a F38 is ridiculous since you get a poorer working fork for a lot more money then Zeb/vorsprung.

Going DC fork is the ultimate and the Ohlins DH 38 is the one. There will not be any to get ho
ld of until October though.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
If you can find one the manitou mezzer is a great value and performer. One of the best air springs, lighter than any of the 38s , hydraulic bottom out, and easily adjustable travel. It’s not the most supple off the top , but it’s great in the mid stroke, bottom out support and highly tunable and easily serviceable. Off the top isn’t bad... it’s just feels “race” tuned vs magic carpet.

I have the 38 incoming on the Kenevo sl. I am definite going to compare the two forks to see what I prefer.

the ext era looks amazing feature wise.

anyone else ext tease an “e-storia” today? Curious if it’s an e-bike specific shock or if it has electronics.

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
If you can find one the manitou mezzer is a great value and performer. One of the best air springs, lighter than any of the 38s , hydraulic bottom out, and easily adjustable travel. It’s not the most supple off the top , but it’s great in the mid stroke, bottom out support and highly tunable and easily serviceable. Off the top isn’t bad... it’s just feels “race” tuned vs magic carpet.

I have the 38 incoming on the Kenevo sl. I am definite going to compare the two forks to see what I prefer.

the ext era looks amazing feature wise.

anyone else ext tease an “e-storia” today? Curious if it’s an e-bike specific shock or if it has electronics.

Saw the E bike shock teaser. Yes there will be an specific ebike shock with some smart features:)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Wonder how long it will be until Rob realises that 2 months ago they launched the smashpot coil for the Zeb.

Sounds like just what he needs....
Yeah I saw this. I like how the Zeb performs at the moment but would like to give it a go at some point.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles