Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
Alright, gave the Fox 38 one last chance this morning. The goal: to get a nice smooth off the top but decent mid stroke with bottom out resistance.

I already mentioned in another post, since riding the Gen 3 Levo, I have been finding after a standard fast ride in the Surrey Hills my hands are a bit battered. Side note... this could be a combination of the stiff carbon wheels, carbon frame and carbon bars.

Rider Weight: 85KG
Tyre PSI: 24f 27r
Fork: Fox Factory 38

Over the past couple of months I have mostly been running the Fox 38 at around 17% sag and about 92psi (my weight riding is 85KG). I've been running it at like this mainly to get it to ride high in travel and not bottom out.

So first ride this morning I wanted to set sag to 20% (which only actually needed around 80 psi, compared to 97 PSI recommended for my 85 KG weight on the fork guide). I hoped that this would improve the small bump compliance and reduce trail chatter. Weirdly this 80 psi seems much too low, but thats just how it is for me to get "correct" sag level on this fork.

First ride: Some roots and basic trails. Felt nice. Definitely a bit smoother. So far so good.

OK next to a drop. Maybe 4 foot to flat. Hit this and CRACK! Nice, harsh bottom out. No worries, 4 foot to flat, maybe thats asking a bit much with fairly low psi. Faff around with HCS and LSC a bit. Hit it again, same thing, crack!.

Next hit a jump, 8-10 foot, nice landing. CRACK! Bottomed the F outta it again. So 80 psi, 2 tokens, feels nice on the trails, but no way near enough support.

Back home, put another token in it. So now 3 tokens, set sag to 20%. Do the runs again. CRACK! she bottoms out.

Next I played with the PSI, adding 3 psi after each bottom out to try to find the sweet spot. I try and tune the fork to what I will typically be riding, use all available travel and try to keep it fairly comfortable.

In the end I found a setting that *almost* works, but hit a jump about 15 foot, CRACK, bottom out again.

To summarise, my particular fork needs a decent amount of PSI to run pretty low sag (15-17%) to keep it running high in the travel, definitely closer to their recommended settings for my weight, at the expense of rider comfort. And when my hands start getting battered on the trail it actually makes feeling the front tyre, feedback and grip levels a but more difficult...

I'm now gonna go fit the Zeb
your 38 seems to be defective. i am exactly the same weight, 3 token 25% sag 95psi lsr5 hsr3 hsc3 lsc8 . this fork is so nice to drive no arm pumping no crack and at the end always 1cm remaining travel for the big huck. very importent is that the rear is a bit slower in reebound against the fork.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the point is not everyone likes the same thing from a fork, at the top end there is no one "best" fork or shock, and it comes down to personal preference. A lot of this will come down to how the product can be set up, over the technical benefits, as really riding a product that you can set up well for your riding is better than riding something "better" that you cant.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
your 38 seems to be defective. i am exactly the same weight, 3 token 25% sag 95psi lsr5 hsr3 hsc3 lsc8 . this fork is so nice to drive no arm pumping no crack and at the end always 1cm remaining travel for the big huck. very importent is that the rear is a bit slower in reebound against the fork.
Yes possibly defective. Lots of reports of overfilled grease from production. I’ll get it looked at whilst I’m using the Zeb.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think the point is not everyone likes the same thing from a fork, at the top end there is no one "best" fork or shock, and it comes down to personal preference. A lot of this will come down to how the product can be set up, over the technical benefits, as really riding a product that you can set up well for your riding is better than riding something "better" that you cant.
Tbh I’ve always found grip2 a pain in the ass to setup compared to RS and personally much prefer the ease of RockShox.

Last edited:

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Iv not had chance to try the zeb on my levo yet, But on the rail it took few runs to set up and worked very well. The 38 is not an easy set up, For me both lsc and hsc wide open, hsr close to full open, lsr close to closed, one token in a 160 travel, then psi to suit ur weight and where your riding

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Pray tell what you think is the best fork then?
There is no doubt that EXT Era is the best SC fork I have tested. The combination of initial plushnes and support is really good. Besides it actually feels bottomless.

Supposedly it is prefered before Ohlins SC forks from those who have both.

My secret to you guys who wants a burly fork is to get the Zeb E version and put on the Secus, or the Smashpot coil. You will have a really budget fork with stout 38 chassis and a really good spring. The damper is doing a good job and supports the heavy ebikes well.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I'd probably put ohlins RFX range above the Fox and RS options.

EXT has the potential to be above the ohlins but I reserve judgement until its on my new bike. Certainly the limited information there is out there suggests it could be a new level of performance.

Hard to work out what is marketing and what is reality but no doubt there is a best fork but its also an ever evolving market with new products coming to market.

I'm starting to take more interest in the internals of these forks and shocks and the one thing that I notice is how simple and basic some are and I am starting to understand why they feel the way they do.

Both the Ohlins and EXT are far more advanced internally than anything on the market from fox or RS.

I'll come back to you on this next month with more experience to share.
In my experience with all of the above mentioned forks,

Rockshock for comfort
Ohlins for racing
Fox entry level racer
Ext combination of the first two.
If they can bring out a few more options like thicker chassis, longer travel, dual crowns, they will easily be the new king.

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
BOS Idylle have a new SC fork with 39mm stanchions that is interesting.
They have no good reputation of customer service though.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Yes possibly defective. Lots of reports of overfilled grease from production. I’ll get it looked at whilst I’m using the Zeb.
Oh my God, defective Shox and now maybe 38 too :eek: these cheap bikes ?

I begin to think about waiting for the Comp so with the money saved I change the parts I want ... I don't like Sram brakes, the carbon wheels on an ebike are not so useful

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Oh my God, defective Shox and now maybe 38 too :eek: these cheap bikes ?

I begin to think about waiting for the Comp so with the money saved I change the parts I want ... I don't like Sram brakes, the carbon wheels on an ebike are not so useful

I always suggest to buy a cheaper model and upgrade with fork and shock. The EXT shocks can be rebuilt for both tune and lengths (as long it is eye to eye or trunnion you are within, to rebuild from trunnion to standard eyelet or vice versa is not affordable) so it fits different frames as well. So it is a bit higher priced, but oh boy it rides so good that you will take it with you for future bikes....

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Well this maybe their ebike shock?

Posted about that the other day. I could see it being ebike specific and/or having some electronic damping control.

I am not sure what they would do to make it more ebike specific as it’s pretty much the beefiest coil shock out there already. Definitely will keep my eyes open!

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
EXT E-STORIA- E-BIKE DEDICATED DAMPER
– New externally adjustable HBC
– More efficient HBC design to increase bottom out protection

Nice! So the E-STORIA now has the externally adjustable HBC like the ARMA does. If my custom tuned Avalanche CR Bomber was so damn perfect for me, I would grab one of these!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
The negative spring is interesting. And the wider damping range. The storia never “erased” bumps for me like I had on a previous bike with ohlins (albeit with +30mm more travel on that bike). I was going to get it revalved since I had compression wide open.

the adjustable hbo is rad as well. Looks like they took rider feedback and made it better!

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
The e-storia have top out spring/negative spring. It has bladder instead of ifp piston and new piston design. Besides it accommodates additional tunes and spring rates.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
July 2nd its out. So do i go for this one or the V3 which is ready now...
Seems like waiting a month is the right call given the update. Plus it took them 6 weeks to get mine sorted after ordering so I can imagine buying the new one now will mean shipping relatively soon after launch. Just a guess

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
The negative spring is interesting. And the wider damping range. The storia never “erased” bumps for me like I had on a previous bike with ohlins (albeit with +30mm more travel on that bike). I was going to get it revalved since I had compression wide open.

the adjustable hbo is rad as well. Looks like they took rider feedback and made it better!

The Storia are not muted and does not give the feeling like riding against a mattress. If you find the right combination of spring rate, compression adjustment it will be felt really plush, but still you will be able to read the surface you are riding on. The muted feel is often more common and the combination on Storia is much preferable.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
The Storia are not muted and does not give the feeling like riding against a mattress. If you find the right combination of spring rate, compression adjustment it will be felt really plush, but still you will be able to read the surface you are riding on. The muted feel is often more common and the combination on Storia is much preferable.
Oh trust me.. I know what it does well. Have had it for 1000+ miles in rugged terrain. Compression damping being a bit firm was really my only thing I was considering to tune out. It’s a fantastic shock and I probably will end up with a new one at some point later on for the KSL

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Oh trust me.. I know what it does well. Have had it for 1000+ miles in rugged terrain. Compression damping being a bit firm was really my only thing I was considering to tune out. It’s a fantastic shock and I probably will end up with a new one at some point later on for the KSL

Okay I see. Usually the initial tune works well and particularly since when going on softer coil spring the compression valve makes it possible.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Okay I see. Usually the initial tune works well and particularly since when going on softer coil spring the compression valve makes it possible.
Horses for courses, I prefer a firmer tune, it’s got to use the travel but not so easily that corners etc blow through it, Them pedal strikes are like being stung by a bee…

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Any update on the storia v3 rob
it’s great. Set and forget, great performance, huge traction on the rear, smooths out most trail chatter but great under big compressions. not lazy feeing at all. Gen3 still pops with it on. wouldn’t change back to air from this

bit of noise occasionally, I think it’s coming from the spring on the collars. Not 100% sure though.

cons: 1: price 2: a week after I bought it they announced a new EBike version ?‍♂️?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles