• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
Hi,

As I understand, we are pretty safe in case warranty as settings are set back to original ones. I can see bike outputs some power, speed etc data to etube app, i guess that data is not stored within bike at all?

mossy.trails

Apr 4, 2022
Devon
Tried the firmware downgrade tonight. Got as far as downgrading etube app and loading older firmware and loading custom firmware into motor using Android. Then the problems started. E045 error upon disconnecting from etube. When I downloaded the required EP8 FW, the zip file only contained 2 x dat files. Is that right? Also, with the custom motor FW installed at 9.x.x, I note etube says the display (sc-E7000) is still running 4.1.0. Is that right, because that's the stock latest FW.

HurtLocker

Jun 30, 2022
Australia
Yes. Your just downgrading the motor as such. 2 files. Copy into the folder and update/downgrade. Start the bike up and open the app and you will be able to change the speed

mossy.trails

Apr 4, 2022
Devon
Yes. Your just downgrading the motor as such. 2 files. Copy into the folder and update/downgrade. Start the bike up and open the app and you will be able to change the speed
In that case I think I'll just play it safe it keep stock FW settings, as this hasn't worked for my new Rise with the EP8 RS. Tried a couple of times and it keeps failing upon completing the custom FW install.

mossy.trails

Apr 4, 2022
Devon
OK, so after I had gotten over my error message freak out, I went ahead and made the desired change via stunlocker while the E035 was still showing, then updated to latest FW. All appears to be OK, at least as shown parameters are concerned, haven't been for a test ride yet.

Jiemex

Aug 16, 2022
Denmark
I just had my e-bullitt e6100 stolen over the weekend. After crying it out I am now ready to look forward.

The e-bullitt is not yet offering the option of the new EP6 which means I have to choose between the EP8 with nexus 5 gear belt or the E6100 with Alfine 11 belt (I had this one before).

Ideally I would like the bike to go around 35 kph - would the E6100 be able to do that or is the obvious choice then the EP8 although it is only available with a nexus gearset and only 5 gears.

I need the belt since this is a workhorse for everyday use that I do not have time to do much maintenance on.

Any input is highly appreciated.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
stunlocker & 4.3.2 power

Screenshot_2022-08-16-18-16-15-96_c2837c1dd950ed563ee39c6f526f419e_1.jpg

beancouter

Sep 5, 2022
Farnham
Hi there - newbie to e-bikes (and this forum). I have an Orbea Rise (with no display) and bought a PCE02 to update with STUNLocker.

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to connect it? From my research I think the EM800 has a separate port? Other than that I am guessing i take the engine cover off?

I did try plugging into the in line indicator unit (-and unplugging the switch unit but that didn’t work).

Thanks

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hi there - newbie to e-bikes (and this forum). I have an Orbea Rise (with no display) and bought a PCE02 to update with STUNLocker.

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to connect it? From my research I think the EM800 has a separate port? Other than that I am guessing i take the engine cover off?

I did try plugging into the in line indicator unit (-and unplugging the switch unit but that didn’t work).

Thanks
Not so sure that you can do it as mine was through bluetooth, from my phone to the colour display on my e8000 motor. So nor really sure how you would go about it with a cable.

beancouter

Sep 5, 2022
Farnham
Not so sure that you can do it as mine was through bluetooth, from my phone to the colour display on my e8000 motor. So nor really sure how you would go about it with a cable.

Definitely possible - @vadll has a MS download for use with the PCE interface - from reading this thread, unlike the IOS app, you don’t need to roll back the firmware.

Just wanted to check there wasn’t a shortcut before I take the motor housing off

I thought I read somewhere the EM800 had a separate port but I am running the stock EN100.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Definitely possible - @vadll has a MS download for use with the PCE interface - from reading this thread, unlike the IOS app, you don’t need to roll back the firmware.

Just wanted to check there wasn’t a shortcut before I take the motor housing off

I thought I read somewhere the EM800 had a separate port but I am running the stock EN100.
The EM800 does indeed have spare SD300 ports. The only other place you will find a spare port is on the motor. There is a Y-cable you can purchase that will enable a connection using the EN100. However, it is just as easy to connect to the motor directly.

beancouter

Sep 5, 2022
Farnham
The EM800 does indeed have spare SD300 ports. The only other place you will find a spare port is on the motor. There is a Y-cable you can purchase that will enable a connection using the EN100. However, it is just as easy to connect to the motor directly.

Sorted! I remembered I had a spare junction box and cable from a road bike i just stripped down. All done

deuna

Oct 4, 2022
Sweden
hi,
Will this app work on my bike, its a trek neko+. Not sure if its E6000 or E6001.

stantaur

Sep 2, 2022
Portland, OR
Hi - for EP8-RS users only seeking to enhance torque from 60 Nm to perhaps 75 - 80 Nm is ST Unlocker considered safe and reversible for the:
--Carbon (360 WHr battery) Orbea Rise M-series, and/or
--Alloy (540 WHr) Orbea Rise H-series

I'm only interested in increasing the torque/assist levels in Profiles 1 and 2 for better XC trail riding. That's it.

If ~80 Nm works for the 540 WHr Alloys but the 360 WHr Carbons do best no higher than 70 Nm, that's helpful info to know. Or if 70 works better on the 540 WHr and 80 on the 360 WHr due to different cells used in those packs, whatever.

This may influence whether I choose Rise Alloy/Carbon (light mod possible, proven powertrain, might be a keeper long after 2 yr warranty) or Fuel EXe (50 Nm already concedes some grunt to the Rise EP8-RS 60 in stock form, and that TQ50 might be maxed on power/thermals already in such a small chassis given the early teething problems some are having).

Reason for 75-80 Nm max is to get safety margin (vs EP8's 85 Nm) for loads and thermals, as Rise 360 WHr and 540 WHr battery performance doesn't seem to be well-documented for use over 60 Nm. And some have mentioned elsewhere that the battery/wiring architecture causes noise or damage when going full 85 Nm.

I'd like for it to be as minimally invasive as possible and reversible, to avoid potential warranty issues.

To be even clearer, I'm NOT looking to "de-restrict," change max speed, wheel diameter, etc. Just want more acceleration/torque for steeper hills because I'm old and enjoy pseudo rock-crawling that 75-ish Nm on a mid-40 lb bike could provide (and enable me to lift it over raised tailgate for transit vs. my friend's 51 lb Rail).
I have no interest exceeding 20 MPH on US trails - my avg speed climbing is 2-3 MPH on MTB and mayyyybe 8 MPH avg on a friend's Rail 9.8.

Thanks for enabling this software tuning option, and for supporting its audience of users with this great feedback.

Apologies I have not found definitive answers to these questions in this thread or other resources in this forum. Thanks for helping us distill the options for those considering EP8-RS motor in the Rise.

Coromandel99

Dec 8, 2021
Sydney
I'm after some clarification on what I can do next.

My Merida e160 is beyond warranty so no concerns with changing the market origin to US. When I installed the ST unlocker app on my phone it initially wouldn't connect to the bike. I checked eTube app connected OK, which it did, made sure that ST Unlocker was set up to use my passcode, but despite many attempts it just wouldn't connect. Rightly or wrongly, I then allowed eTube to update the firmware on the DU-E8000 motor. Voila, afterwards, ST Unlocker immediately connected. I was moving forward.

I then tried to update to Premium to make the market change, but got the message that the current version wasn't supported/needed to downgrade.

From reading these posts, it sounds like I need a PCE2 cable to downgrade, which I don't have, and none seem available online. Am I now relying on getting someone else to do it with a cable, or is there a way to downgrade the firmware without the cable? It sounds like there is no chance of this version of the app supporting the latest firmware version from what I've read.

Thanks for any support you can give.

Update 17/11/2022 - For anybody coming to this post and wondering how it was resolved.
I basically followed the advice below as my phone was an IOS device and did the following:
1. Dug out old Android phone, charger etc, got that working
2. Download older version of E-Tube app on laptop and installed on phone
3. Made sure E-Tube worked and connected ok to my bike
4. Bought the STUnlocker app again on Android device
5. Tested STUnlocker connected to my bike and showed details etc
6. Upgraded to premium license (which now didn't give error about firmware version)
7. Changed Market Origin setting to US and voila now works with limit at 35km/h

Last edited:

Bobcat

Nov 26, 2021
Uk
I'm after some clarification on what I can do next.

My Merida e160 is beyond warranty so no concerns with changing the market origin to US. When I installed the ST unlocker app on my phone it initially wouldn't connect to the bike. I checked eTube app connected OK, which it did, made sure that ST Unlocker was set up to use my passcode, but despite many attempts it just wouldn't connect. Rightly or wrongly, I then allowed eTube to update the firmware on the DU-E8000 motor. Voila, afterwards, ST Unlocker immediately connected. I was moving forward.

I then tried to update to Premium to make the market change, but got the message that the current version wasn't supported/needed to downgrade.

From reading these posts, it sounds like I need a PCE2 cable to downgrade, which I don't have, and none seem available online. Am I now relying on getting someone else to do it with a cable, or is there a way to downgrade the firmware without the cable? It sounds like there is no chance of this version of the app supporting the latest firmware version from what I've read.

Thanks for any support you can give.
In the same situation, have the latest ep8 firmware (4.1.8/4.1.0)and e-tube IOS app (5.1.0). Purchased the premium license on the basis it says you can email for download instructions, I now have these however it seems to be possible only for android? by sideloading the e-tube 5.0.2 apk which can be found online. This is not possible on IOS, as obviously only the latest version is available on the app store.
Feel like I have been conned here, wouldn't have spent £30 on the license if I knew I also needed a £200 lead that I'm only ever going to use once !!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
The firmware is available on the Internet, you just need a laptop /pc and a phone, you don't need the PCE unit.

Google Shimano firmware downgrade and download the eTuning pdf instructions, they are pretty clear. Below might help a bit further

Create a folder on your desktop with two subfolders - one for etube software and one for the motor software

First you need to uninstall etube from your phone and then download the earlier version to your laptop from the link in the eTuning instructions page 2 no3. Save this in the etube folder. Put phone in flight mode and connect your to the laptop with a USB lead and then copy and paste the etube software in the laptop to the phone. It should ask if you want to install Etube, click yes. When you open it, it should show version 5.0.2 which is what you need to downgrade

Next download the software for your motor from the link in the instructions. Save this in motor software folder. Then unzip it so it's uncompressed.

Then go into your phone folders via the laptop and click through to find the folder shown in the instructions. Delete everything in this folder (this is the motor firmware files).

Open the new motor software folder, copy the UNCOMPRESSED files (should be two files) and paste them into the phone firmware folder

Disconnect your phone from the laptop and then connect to the bike via etube. You should get a prompt for an upgrade to the motor firmware. The firmware file starts with a 5 which is how it fools the system into thinking it's a later version when it is in fact earlier. Select this and leave phone and bike undisturbed to download. Takes 10 to 15 minutes. When complete disconnect etube turn bike off and then connect with Stunlocker. If you have already purchased the premium license you should now have access to the derestriction features.

I would then delete etube from your phone to avoid any unwanted updates. You have the earlier etube software on your laptop so can always load back to your phone later if required

Hope this helps, whole thing should take less than 20 minutes if you're used to basic copy and paste stuff

Bobcat

Nov 26, 2021
Uk
The firmware is available on the Internet, you just need a laptop /pc and a phone, you don't need the PCE unit.

Google Shimano firmware downgrade and download the eTuning pdf instructions, they are pretty clear. Below might help a bit further

Create a folder on your desktop with two subfolders - one for etube software and one for the motor software

First you need to uninstall etube from your phone and then download the earlier version to your laptop from the link in the eTuning instructions page 2 no3. Save this in the etube folder. Put phone in flight mode and connect your to the laptop with a USB lead and then copy and paste the etube software in the laptop to the phone. It should ask if you want to install Etube, click yes. When you open it, it should show version 5.0.2 which is what you need to downgrade

Next download the software for your motor from the link in the instructions. Save this in motor software folder. Then unzip it so it's uncompressed.

Then go into your phone folders via the laptop and click through to find the folder shown in the instructions. Delete everything in this folder (this is the motor firmware files).

Open the new motor software folder, copy the UNCOMPRESSED files (should be two files) and paste them into the phone firmware folder

Disconnect your phone from the laptop and then connect to the bike via etube. You should get a prompt for an upgrade to the motor firmware. The firmware file starts with a 5 which is how it fools the system into thinking it's a later version when it is in fact earlier. Select this and leave phone and bike undisturbed to download. Takes 10 to 15 minutes. When complete disconnect etube turn bike off and then connect with Stunlocker. If you have already purchased the premium license you should now have access to the derestriction features.

I would then delete etube from your phone to avoid any unwanted updates. You have the earlier etube software on your laptop so can always load back to your phone later if required

Hope this helps, whole thing should take less than 20 minutes if you're used to basic copy and paste stuff
This is for android though, not IOS !! link in the instructions it to an apk file ... this is androind. (110.38 MB file on MEGA)

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
True but rather than buy a PCE can't you just borrow an android phone? You only need to do it once.

Also the poster above you didn't specify android or IOS

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Hi - for EP8-RS users only seeking to enhance torque from 60 Nm to perhaps 75 - 80 Nm is ST Unlocker considered safe and reversible for the:
--Carbon (360 WHr battery) Orbea Rise M-series, and/or
--Alloy (540 WHr) Orbea Rise H-series
I have done this on M10 and H30 - ecactly as you describe and it works good.
M10 a year ago (+10.000km) and H30 1 month ago.

I set the maximum to 85Nm in the firmware, but 70Nm in the app.

Bobcat

Nov 26, 2021
Uk
True but rather than buy a PCE can't you just borrow an android phone? You only need to do it once.

Also the poster above you didn't specify android or IOS
likewise it doesn't tell you that you need an android device to downgrade when you hand over £30 either!

wullens

Nov 4, 2022
Sweden
I have a longtail bike with e6100 and nexus 8. So as I understand it if you have that combo the motor is restricted to 50nm. I am trying to get it to stay at 60nm. However I try i resets to 50nm.

Could i change the settings to other types of gears and get it to stick to 60nm? I have the PC-e02 as well, but in the shimano windows app I cant change anything either.

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
I have done this on M10 and H30 - ecactly as you describe and it works good.
M10 a year ago (+10.000km) and H30 1 month ago.

I set the maximum to 85Nm in the firmware, but 70Nm in the app.
I'm curious, did you feel much difference deristricting the Rise to 85nm using ST Unlocker? Also, what was the max speed you can derestrict the Rise? I have a 2022 M20 rise with the 360Whr battery
Thanks!!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just did this myself, M20. Initially I set to 76nm and that was a huge increase in torque. Now I have at 68nm and is really quite enough torque for me. 76nm was very much like a full power emtb but on a light chasis feels HUGE. By decreasing the wheel circumference, I use an arbitrary 1300 mm setting, the bike will assist well beyond the gearing on the bike, 32T chainring/10T on cassette on a flat surface, north of 30MPH on a paved downhill still giving assist. These settings will drain your 360W battery super quick so experimentation is necessary, range extender is great for running the Rise at high torque levels. I'm using the Shimano sm-pce02 interface to set the higher torque level, then in E-tube higher torque is displayed as set in STunlocker, from there bring it down in E-tube to a more reasonable level to get a realistic range from battery set up (main alone or main w/RE)

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
Just did this myself, M20. Initially I set to 76nm and that was a huge increase in torque. Now I have at 68nm and is really quite enough torque for me. 76nm was very much like a full power emtb but on a light chasis feels HUGE. By decreasing the wheel circumference, I use an arbitrary 1300 mm setting, the bike will assist well beyond the gearing on the bike, 32T chainring/10T on cassette on a flat surface, north of 30MPH on a paved downhill still giving assist. These settings will drain your 360W battery super quick so experimentation is necessary, range extender is great for running the Rise at high torque levels. I'm using the Shimano sm-pce02 interface to set the higher torque level, then in E-tube higher torque is displayed as set in STunlocker, from there bring it down in E-tube to a more reasonable level to get a realistic range from battery set up (main alone or main w/RE)
Thanks for the reply!!

Did you use the windows program or the app to make the changes? I'm going to be using the windows program.

Also, is the only way to increase the speed is to change the wheel circumference or can you set the max speed through a setting?

Thanks again!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I use the windows version of STunlocker to change torque/power output and wheel circumference. I use E-tube to fine tune the assist settings (this way no firmware downgrades which is far more involved). I'm sure there's a way to set speed other than wheel circumference but I didn't have any luck with that, don't think it matters. On previous shimano motors I've always used 1300mm for circumference and that works for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles