• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Sanderman

May 22, 2022
Israel
Hi Vadll,
I am aware that new (unsupported) FW can be downgraded and then derestricted.

My question: is it expected that there will be in the future support for EP8 version 4.1.7 ? (currently I see 4.0.2 is the latest supported)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
My question: is it expected that there will be in the future support for EP8 version 4.1.7 ? (currently I see 4.0.2 is the latest supported)
No. Shimano released the latest FW to prohibit derestriction and changing advanced settings via Bluetooth. That was their goal.
If you don't want to downgrade - use Shimano PCE Interface with STUnlocker for Windows

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
No. Shimano released the latest FW to prohibit derestriction and changing advanced settings via Bluetooth. That was their goal.
If you don't want to downgrade - use Shimano PCE Interface with STUnlocker for Windows

I understand there are multiple PCE options. Which make/model is the most cost effective? I don’t run a workshop, all I need is a required interface.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I understand there are multiple PCE options. Which make/model is the most cost effective? I don’t run a workshop, all I need is a required interface.
PCE1 is not supported by Shimano anymore, only PCE02 is supported. PCE1 is supported in old 4.x versions of ETube Project for Windows.

The most cost effective solution is not to buy PCE interface, but to use a phone with Bluetooth ;)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
PCE1 is not supported by Shimano anymore, only PCE02 is supported. PCE1 is supported in old 4.x versions of ETube Project for Windows.

The most cost effective solution is not to buy PCE interface, but to use a phone with Bluetooth ;)

Do you mean Android phone via Bluetooth?

I have multiple iPhones and I run Windows partition/emulation on my MacBook to manipulate firmware files on my iPhone, which worked well until the previous version of the firmware.

I understand that the latest firmware does not allow to downgrade the f/w version via Bluetooth so I am stuck and cannot change the Market settings.

So the PCE2 with Windows emulation is the more sensible option. Right?

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
I got the PCE02 and paid for premium license. I have a couple questions tho:

Orbea Rise

-What are the default power (W) settings? I read somewhere 500W across the board.

-What is the easiest way to manage profiles without downgrading firmware? If I change max torque and circumference through PCE02, will I then be able to manage profiles with the STUnlocker iPhone app? I had max 76NM set, but app showed 85. Or am I stuck using the shitty E-TUBE app? I basically just want a PR chasing 29er setting and mullet setup profiles.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I got the PCE02 and paid for premium license. I have a couple questions tho:

Orbea Rise

-What are the default power (W) settings? I read somewhere 500W across the board.

-What is the easiest way to manage profiles without downgrading firmware? If I change max torque and circumference through PCE02, will I then be able to manage profiles with the STUnlocker iPhone app? I had max 76NM set, but app showed 85. Or am I stuck using the shitty E-TUBE app? I basically just want a PR chasing 29er setting and mullet setup profiles.
Torque/Power settings do not require the downgrade and can be changed in iOS/Android App, including presets. PCE interface is required for changing Region & Circumference without downgrading. If you will not include region & circumference into a preset - you can switch presets in iOS/Android App

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
Torque/Power settings do not require the downgrade and can be changed in iOS/Android App, including presets. PCE interface is required for changing Region & Circumference without downgrading. If you will not include region & circumference into a preset - you can switch presets in iOS/Android App

So if I change circumference in PCE interface, can I then manage the other settings for presets via the iOS app as long as the circumference is the same?
Drop circumference to 2200 via PCE.
Control power, torque, and assist levels via iOS app using presets.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
So if I change circumference in PCE interface, can I then manage the other settings for presets via the iOS app as long as the circumference is the same?
Drop circumference to 2200 via PCE.
Control power, torque, and assist levels via iOS app using presets.
Yes, but switch OFF region & circumference options in Preset attributes

agentcooper

Jun 6, 2022
UE
Hi Vadii

. I have a question for you, I have an e7000 motor and a Shimano SC 5000 display. my goal is to move from Europe to the United States.Since the SC 5000 has no Bluetooth connection, it wants to borrow the SC 7000 display from a friend, connect via the Android app and switch the zone. Then he wants to reconnect his SC 5000 display.do you think that the zone change data will be saved in the controlle

I also have a question if I will be able to connect to the application with only the SC 7000 display itself without the afterburning mode shift lever. Additional question, where in the application can I find a place to change the zone or you can send a photo.

Is there any simple and inexpensive option to set the us zone having an sc5000 display or my idea of temporarily changing the sc7000 display and back to your sc5000 is ok?

Regards,
Cooper

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
. I have a question for you, I have an e7000 motor and a Shimano SC 5000 display. my goal is to move from Europe to the United States.Since the SC 5000 has no Bluetooth connection, it wants to borrow the SC 7000 display from a friend, connect via the Android app and switch the zone. Then he wants to reconnect his SC 5000 display.do you think that the zone change data will be saved in the controlle
Yes, it will work

roupenwomix

May 15, 2022
Belgium
I will have to take my bike back to the shop (and maybe factory) because my EP8 is still doing strange with my bike.
I did the derestriction tot 32 km/h and change wheel diameter (although only 10 minutes...).
Currently I have installed the newest firmware on the motor (4.1.8) and the original settings are programmed (wheel diameter and 25 km/h).

I have read some things about a regulation log on the EP8 so shimano could see the derestriction.
Is this a true story with the latest info you guys have? Or won't they be able to see anything with these standard settings?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I have read some things about a regulation log on the EP8 so shimano could see the derestriction.
Is this a true story with the latest info you guys have? Or won't they be able to see anything with these standard settings?
This is gossip. Probably spread by the dealers/shops (or those who did not return the settings to default/stock and were denied the warranty because of this). All will be fine if you reset all motor settings back to default/stock. Just check that using STUnlocker - it will inform you if some settings are not default.

agentcooper

Jun 6, 2022
UE
Hi Vadii

Will the STUNLOCK android app work with EW-EN100 and the SC5000 display (engine e7000)?

did any of the forum members connect to the application?

Shreddy

Sep 14, 2021
Surrey
Hi, I’ve been using STunlocker since September, recently I needed to go to my LBS for a potential warranty issue as my ep8 got the E01022 error---- torque sensor related (while in load). I set all the settings back to default before going there; Region, wheel circumference, assist levels etc.

When the lbs plug in their system (I assume the PC version of eTube) it came up that the wheel circumference had been change by unauthorised software and gave a time & date, even though I had set it back to default. With this, the LBS, a Shimano service centre, pull the plug on it, telling me the next screen would have logged this with Shimano, blacklisting my motor, so not wanting to drop me in it. Anyway, they are not allowed to proceed with a warranty claim.

What’s next? Nobody seems to be able to repair these motors, is my only option just to try and buy a replacement? or is there any tips please?

Thanks

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
When the lbs plug in their system (I assume the PC version of eTube) it came up that the wheel circumference had been change by unauthorised software and gave a time & date, even though I had set it back to default.
STUnlocker doesn't add records into regulation log. You can see for yourself by looking at the "Regulation log" in STUnlocker. I personally know many of my customers who have returned their EP8 bikes to the factory settings, sent it to the dealer and the dealer changed the motor under warranty (of course a dealer did not see any "unauthorized" access).

I also saw some new bikes that had several log entries with region and circumference changes. This was done by the dealers when the bike came from US to EU or vice versa.

Shreddy

Sep 14, 2021
Surrey
STUnlocker doesn't add records into regulation log. You can see for yourself by looking at the "Regulation log" in STUnlocker. I personally know many of my customers who have returned their EP8 bikes to the factory settings, sent it to the dealer and the dealer changed the motor under warranty (of course a dealer did not see any "unauthorized" access).

I also saw some new bikes that had several log entries with region and circumference changes. This was done by the dealers when the bike came from US to EU or vice versa.
Thank you for your reply. I don't know if their s/w pulled this up from this "Regulation log", but what I am tell you, is exactly what happened. I've only ever used STU, so some how, they see that the wheel size had been change by non-Shimano/unauthorized software. What can I do? Can I wipe logs & then try another dealer? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Thank you for your reply. I don't know if their s/w pulled this up from this "Regulation log", but what I am tell you, is exactly what happened. I've only ever used STU, so some how, they see that the wheel size had been change by non-Shimano/unauthorized software. What can I do? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
It means only one: you didn't change wheel size to default. Sorry

Sanderman

May 22, 2022
Israel
Is there any other way to raise the assist speed limit beside changing to US and changing of circumference?
I've put a 10% less circumference, it's nice to have 35kph limit, but the Distances and Speeds are now 10% lower than the actual settings, and Garmin Edge pulls all the data directly from the "e-bike" device instead of GPS. Any way to make this work better? :)

HurtLocker

Jun 30, 2022
Australia
SO after applying different region, would you upgrade the firmware to the latest version? Would you do it through there latest app or use the old etube verson?

Also is there any reason not to just keep using it and use the latest e-tube and and firmwire? or will it overwrite the region settings?
Plus would you use a logged in shimano account? or not?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles