• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

sbanzu

Mar 3, 2022
China
Hi, everyone. I just got a emtb with e8000 motor. Unfortunately it’s speed limit to 25km/h , pretty annoying when riding through woods. I do some research and find this Stunlocker ride app. Brought it and find a problem to connect to my bike.

1.I have no problem to connect with Shimano E-TUBE, but fail with this app.

2, on the app’s description page it says sce8000 display are not supported, but under this topic says test with sce8000 and works. I’m a little bit confused.

3, if this app not working with sce8000 display, is there any way I can unlock the speed limit? For example, by change the display?

Thanks for your time and much appreciated!

3AF1F4F7-9804-4B5C-A76E-783D39336123.png

C974E2AC-242A-4EE8-AC0D-FD6EA1FFAB3C.png

BD7F2414-F220-4DF5-8C5D-CF5F751CBCC3.jpeg

FABC650D-D6B9-41F4-805F-093BB8CB122A.jpeg

sbanzu

Mar 3, 2022
China
Hi, everyone. I just got a emtb with e8000 motor. Unfortunately it’s speed limit to 25km/h , pretty annoying when riding through woods. I do some research and find this Stunlocker ride app. Brought it and find a problem to connect to my bike.

1.I have no problem to connect with Shimano E-TUBE, but fail with this app.

2, on the app’s description page it says sce8000 display are not supported, but under this topic says test with sce8000 and works. I’m a little bit confused.

3, if this app not working with sce8000 display, is there any way I can unlock the speed limit? For example, by change the display?

Thanks for your time and much appreciated!

View attachment 83194

View attachment 83195

View attachment 83196

View attachment 83197
Forget to post my hardware firmware version. I haven’t do any updates.

3B17817F-D674-43B7-BC9A-E411C8459719.png

sbanzu

Mar 3, 2022
China
St ride is not for derestriction. What you are looking for is STUnlocker

Hi, thank you.
Just download the app. And successfully connect to my bike.

it seems if I want to unlock the speed, still need purchase a premium license?

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
Sorry if this has been answered already…
Does derestricting an Orbea rise eliminate the “custom” tune that Orbea put on the motor? I love the adjusted settings I got 95% of the time, but there is a trail or two that I’d want full torque and a higher cutoff speed.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Sorry if this has been answered already…
Does derestricting an Orbea rise eliminate the “custom” tune that Orbea put on the motor?
No. There is no such thing as the "custom tune". It's all marketing stuff ;) The EP8 RS has software torque and power limiters that can be modified without the Premium license.

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
!!! Warning !!!

As you may know, the STUnlocker App automatically (if the Internet is available) gets and apply the Premium key if it has been issued.

I was informed today that some Shimano dealers are using the STUnlocker App to check if the Premium license has been issued for a bike or not. So I made the decision to temporarily disable this feature. So, now you will have to register the key on a new phone manually.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi Vadll, I intend to buy a license. I have as Orbea Rise M10 with Shimano EP8-RS. How can I pay? Can you send me a PM (personal message) please? Thanks
Connect the App with your bike and click on "Get the Premium licence"

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Presumably, simply using the (non premium version) app to check battery condition and number of charge cycles etc in no way invalidates any warranty? Would be nice to have access to those metrics.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Presumably, simply using the (non premium version) app to check battery condition and number of charge cycles etc in no way invalidates any warranty?
Yes, no way. Even if the bike was derestricted

AndyHutcho

Apr 13, 2022
UK
I have tried the ST Unlocker on My Shimano e8000 motor on a Focus Jam2. I bought the premium app but I cannot get the US setting to hold on the bike, it reverts to EU when turning the bike off/on, yet if I change other parameters such as Wheel Circumference it works.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
I have tried the ST Unlocker on My Shimano e8000 motor on a Focus Jam2. I bought the premium app but I cannot get the US setting to hold on the bike, it reverts to EU when turning the bike off/on, yet if I change other parameters such as Wheel Circumference it works.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Perhaps do the US setting change - then delete the old firmware and update to the latest firmware from Shimano. However doing this will make you have to go through the process again should you want to change anything else in the future.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth

The App informs you about non-supported firmware, why don't you pay attention to it? Anyway, downgrade the firmware to the supported version and derestrict your bike. You can upgrade firmware back to the latest after derestriction

AndyHutcho

Apr 13, 2022
UK
The App informs you about non-supported firmware, why don't you pay attention to it? Anyway, downgrade the firmware to the supported version and derestrict your bike. You can upgrade firmware back to the latest after derestriction
Sorry vadll, I thought I had correct firmware? I will investigate changing that. Thank you.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Sorry vadll, I thought I had correct firmware? I will investigate changing that. Thank you.

why you saying sorry? did the app notify you what he's suggesting?

Anyway - if you followed the instructions and loaded the "cracked" firmware then you did the right thing. If you updated to Shimano latest after that with up to date versions then you will need to roll back

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
I have an Orbea Rise that I put a 27.5 wheel on. @vadII With the premium version of your app I'm not seeing the option to change the wheel size. I assume this is due to the app not being compatible with the firmware on the bike? Will an updated version of the app be available soon or should I downgrade the firmware on the bike? If I need to downgrade can you please direct me to instructions? Thanks.

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Did you read the App's manual?
Anyway, it means that you didn't apply your Premium licence

I got the modal dialogue that said the premium license was applied, but I'll try again tomorrow. The license was previously applied on my old bike. I'm thinking that may be the issue. Is the license transferrable to a new bike or do I have to buy another one?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I got the modal dialogue that said the premium license was applied, but I'll try again tomorrow. The license was previously applied on my old bike. I'm thinking that may be the issue. Is the license transferrable to a new bike or do I have to buy another one?
The Premium licence is per one bike's motor (serial number). It can't be transferred.

rdseal

May 11, 2022
Brooklands
Could not agree more that all we EU guys want is the increase from 15 mph to 20 mph.

I want to leave everything else as is but that 5 mph makes all the difference.

@vadll

Please can I contact you regarding getting the software please? :)
5 mph makes all the difference! I was overtaken by a pro cyclist and I felt like a bum... with my e-bike...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles