Strive:ON problems

Markwright1983

Subscriber
Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
I think the Bosch rail for a horizontal 750 powertube is about £15. If it would fit, then it could be a cheaper and more robust alternative that regularly replacing the latch.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the Bosch rail for a horizontal 750 powertube is about £15. If it would fit, then it could be a cheaper and more robust alternative that regularly replacing the latch.
yes it is............it is a bit confusing which to buy though. They supply 2. One called horizontal and called Axis or Vertikal. As far as I can make out the Axis is for enclosed downtubes and the horizontal is for downtubes with a front opening panel...........but I could be wrong!!:unsure::LOL:

Markwright1983

Subscriber
Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
yes it is............it is a bit confusing which to buy though. They supply 2. One called horizontal and called Axis or Vertikal. As far as I can make out the Axis is for enclosed downtubes and the horizontal is for downtubes with a front opening panel...........but I could be wrong!!:unsure::LOL:

As far as I understand it, it’s the battery type. One battery is vertically larger (taller) and one is horizontally larger (wider).

jblackmore88

Jul 24, 2023
Ascot
Been really putting thought into whether I should buy a Strive:On now or wait until some of these issues are resolved. I'd love to purchase one but wouldn't want to be packing it back up a few weeks on.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Been really putting thought into whether I should buy a Strive:On now or wait until some of these issues are resolved. I'd love to purchase one but wouldn't want to be packing it back up a few weeks on.
This is a thread just for problems. Majority of owners have no issues. 500 miles on mine and couldn’t be happier. Get it ordered and enjoy. Least you’ll get 5% off I didn’t get 😂

Last edited:

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
I'm just wondering if the rail thing for the battery cannot be mounted on the strive:eek:n, if something like a machined aluminium fixed bolted latch could be made, for the people who don't need to remove the battery so often, I'm sure canyon won't go for that, but if someone with the knowledge and tooling could make something affordable and simple, my idea would be a solid piece, latch included, that bolts to the battery where the actual latch bolts, you just have to hold the battery in place with your hands, then bolt the latch to secure everything in place, as far as I understand, while the latch still not busted, the battery won't move, but when it breaks, allows the battery to move, whit a fixed latch that won't be an issue anymore, but that's just a guess

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have had a 2nd battery end latch tab break now. This is definitely an issue that needs resolving between Canyon and Bosch.

It’s a Bosch part that’s failing and it seems that the Canyon integration / positioning of the battery is accelerating wear here. There must be a crazy high load of KG force on that battery latch mechanism on big drops / g outs.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have had a 2nd battery end latch tab break now. This is definitely an issue that needs resolving between Canyon and Bosch.

It’s a Bosch part that’s failing and it seems that the Canyon integration / positioning of the battery is accelerating wear here. There must be a crazy high load of KG force on that battery latch mechanism on big drops / g outs.
I doubt Bosch will be interested because whilst the latch is theirs, it is not being used as designed...ie in conjunction with the Bosch rail. That does raise a question in my head however. The closed/lock position of the latch is dependant on the metal spur achieveing a specific leverage/pivot force against the "slot" in the Bosch rail...or in the case of the Canyon, in their own ally section attached to the bottom of the downtube. If that leverage/pivot force is weak due to the "slot" not being exactly in the right place in relation to the bottom of the battery, then the closed/lock position is not as secure.
Maybe worth trying laying a thin layer of tin or even tinfoil on the bottom ledge of that slot to provide greater pressure when closing the latch. Another hack could be to position a block of rubber in the BB guard such that when it is secured in place it provides a little upward pressure on the latch.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I doubt Bosch will be interested because whilst the latch is theirs, it is not being used as designed...ie in conjunction with the Bosch rail. That does raise a question in my head however. The closed/lock position of the latch is dependant on the metal spur achieveing a specific leverage/pivot force against the "slot" in the Bosch rail...or in the case of the Canyon, in their own ally section attached to the bottom of the downtube. If that leverage/pivot force is weak due to the "slot" not being exactly in the right place in relation to the bottom of the battery, then the closed/lock position is not as secure.
Maybe worth trying laying a thin layer of tin or even tinfoil on the bottom ledge of that slot to provide greater pressure when closing the latch. Another hack could be to position a block of rubber in the BB guard such that when it is secured in place it provides a little upward pressure on the latch.
Isn’t the “block of rubber” similar to what Whyte have had to do to fix their problem?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Isn’t the “block of rubber” similar to what Whyte have had to do to fix their problem?
Yep Whyte have a mod like that but I think it is for specific models, from what I have seen the MX?.............mine is the E160RSX and I have no issues with the latch or power cut offs

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
The Strive was a contender for my next ebike, as the geo is spot on for me.

Although reading trough all three pages and watching some videos I can agree that Canyons design approach isn't really working for the well-being of that battery latch and also the stability of the battery in the downtube.

I understand that this is supposed to be an Enduro ebike where a quick battery swap is good to have, but a simple bolt would secure it much better and you have enough time for unscrewing a bolt mid stages.

Looks like a combo of not enough serious testing and a bad design decision.

I am interested what/if an official solution would/could be, surely changing latches and temporary diy fixes help but they aren't a final solution.

Following the thread, hope you guys get it sorted...if there is no official solution, maybe put some social media pressure out...what I am observing is that a lot of companies have a fear of bad social media tags...and so usually react fast to that...

Anyway fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
I'm so disappointed with Canyon costumer service in Spain....they haven't been able to sort mine yet, as far as I know, they started working on it on August the 3rd, the Canyon mechanic called me to get my consent because the bike for some reason was blocked, even though it was on transport mode, strange, because when I brought the bike to the Bosch dealer, the bike was on transport mode and we had no issues there, as of yesterday, which Canyon sent me a mail after trying to get some info over the phone, which they couldn't say a word about my bike, only that they will send it back when it's done, so I had to rise another ticket for, and they said they are working with Bosch to unlock it....since August the 3rd!!! I'm on a trip for August and I had to change my plans because I didn't have the bike, plus the 2 weeks waiting for them with the bike in the box to pick it up....and seeing there is no short term solution for the problem... I don't want to be out of bike every 2 months for 2 months for them to replace a poorly designed interface with the battery....as I said, very disappointed, what's the return policy? I'm thinking on letting it go back to Canyon and get something more reliable...the bike is awesome, but nothing it's worth this hassle....maybe @Rob Rides EMTB could put some pressure since you have some leverage due to your social media presence, I think a lot of users could benefit from it, and canyon also would benefit, if they do thing right, after all, it's a lot of money we invest in this machines

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
ok, I’ve emailed my Canyon contacts to see if I can keep everyone that has the latch issue in the loop.

I know they are aware of this issue.

I’ll keep it updated here with progress.

Would be good to know anything that’s in the pipeline to help reassure owners that it’s going to be resolved.

There needs to be a fix for sure as it’s obviously an issue that is not isolated.

Rob

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
Thanks for the heads up @Rob Rides EMTB , let's hope they are able to sort it out for good.

I just was at the phone with Canyon's mechanic, he seems as frustrated as me, since the previous call I had with him, he's been waiting for Bosch to unlock the bike, Bosch said they reset the app and that should unlock it, but no luck for him, and since, he's been trying to contact Bosch with little luck, it appears that the support comes from Germany and in August everything is kind of slow due to holidays.... anyway we spoke about the issue and he says they (Canyon and Bosch) know it's due to vibration of the battery and they are working on a support, he could not tell, since he's not involved, but something like the rail system we already discussed in this thread, but can't confirm, only speculate....

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
anyway we spoke about the issue and he says they (Canyon and Bosch) know it's due to vibration of the battery
The thing that would worry me more than the latch breaking from the vibrations is the wear and tear on the battery and the connector in the top of the downtube.

Are they sending out latches when they brake and let you change it by yourself, or are they being a pain and making you go to a service center?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I doubt Bosch will be interested because whilst the latch is theirs, it is not being used as designed...ie in conjunction with the Bosch rail.
I wonder if Bosch give certain parameters of how the battery must be used? Trek / Canyon and I'm sure a load Bosch bikes more dont use the Bosch Rail, and I would have thought that they have some collaboration with Bosch on if it'll actually work in the bike?!

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
The thing that would worry me more than the latch breaking from the vibrations is the wear and tear on the battery and the connector in the top of the downtube.

Are they sending out latches when they brake and let you change it by yourself, or are they being a pain and making you go to a service center?
Mine it's the first time, and it's at the service centre, don't know about second timers.

On my battery you could notice the contacts were wearing out a bit, it had some brownish dust around the contacts itself but far from being done for

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Mikerb Can you show a pic of your bash guard? I beleive Whyte also had this issue but resolved it with a block of plastic on the bash guard which helps support the battery when the bash guard is installed.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
@Mikerb Can you show a pic of your bash guard? I beleive Whyte also had this issue but resolved it with a block of plastic on the bash guard which helps support the battery when the bash guard is installed.
Hi Rob,
I have had the E160RSX for over a year and no problems with the Bosch battery latch or cutting off issues. All I know is that I saw a post on the Facebook "Whyte Ebike Riders" group page referring to........from what I gather........the MX model in the range and a mod that Whyte have made available to resolve the issue. Not sure what could be different with the MX model compared to the full 29er though!! The pic below is a screenshot from that post showing the block of plastic fixed into the bash guard.

Just another thought on why this may be occuring........given the weight of the battery care needs to be taken when inserting it into the downtube to avoid it hitting the battery connector with force. That is more likely to occur if the battery removal/replacement is done with the bike upside down on its bars/saddle. Just letting it drop is likely to bend the battery connector mounts progressively, enough to allow some vertical slack when secured. In the case of the Canyon I think that vertical slack may also occur over time due to wear of the aluminium "slot" which the Bosch clamp locks into..........it should be steel not ally ( the Bosch battery rail is steel).

block.JPG

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The pic below is a screenshot from that post showing the block of plastic fixed into the bash guard.
Thanks. This is helpful. Whyte have had a similar issue with these clips breaking (from an internal industry source) , and it must be only related to the MX model if they've made that bash plate mod to fix it.

That plastic part looks like it is glued on (as a fix after production) and that adds pressure to the battery to reduce the downwards force of the battery hitting the clips.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wonder if Bosch give certain parameters of how the battery must be used? Trek / Canyon and I'm sure a load Bosch bikes more dont use the Bosch Rail, and I would have thought that they have some collaboration with Bosch on if it'll actually work in the bike?!
mmmm........I doubt it, its really not a very technical piece of kit! It is designed to work with the Bosch Rail but if you dont want to use that ( maybe to save weight) make your own equivalent.........................is more likely their approach:)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is there opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and use a spare innertube inside the bashguard to provide some support to the battery?
If I had the problem ( with the Canyon) I would look at ways to make the slot in the ally a little smaller, with a material that does not wear, in such a way that the Bosch clamp requires a little more force to close and lock. I dont think the spare tube stuffed in there would make any difference.

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
I have to give credit to the canyon mechanic who's working with my bike, after several back and forth with Bosch tech, the guys at Bosch could not understand that the bike was in a different place than my phone (where my bike is set up) since the bike is in the service centre and not with me, so they never understood that the bike could not be unlocked, therefore the mechanic couldn't test it to se if the issue it's solved, the mechanic, fed up of trying to get them to understand the situation, had to use his own personal phone to set my bike, I gave him my credentials to access the flow app (no worries, I'll change the password afterwards) so the bike is unlocked and ready to be worked on, but still pisses me off the amount of bureaucracy required to fix a bike, it's insane

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Hi Rob,
I have had the E160RSX for over a year and no problems with the Bosch battery latch or cutting off issues. All I know is that I saw a post on the Facebook "Whyte Ebike Riders" group page referring to........from what I gather........the MX model in the range and a mod that Whyte have made available to resolve the issue. Not sure what could be different with the MX model compared to the full 29er though!! The pic below is a screenshot from that post showing the block of plastic fixed into the bash guard.

Just another thought on why this may be occuring........given the weight of the battery care needs to be taken when inserting it into the downtube to avoid it hitting the battery connector with force. That is more likely to occur if the battery removal/replacement is done with the bike upside down on its bars/saddle. Just letting it drop is likely to bend the battery connector mounts progressively, enough to allow some vertical slack when secured. In the case of the Canyon I think that vertical slack may also occur over time due to wear of the aluminium "slot" which the Bosch clamp locks into..........it should be steel not ally ( the Bosch battery rail is steel).

View attachment 123249
This is a interesting resolution/fix. I can imagine that this will be the way that Canyon 'fix' the Problem on some of the Strive's. When my Strive:ON arrives I have a spare bash guard (as well as a couple of other bits too). I think I'll be designing and 3D printing this 'fix'. If successful I'll make the file available

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
This is a interesting resolution/fix. I can imagine that this will be the way that Canyon 'fix' the Problem on some of the Strive's. When my Strive:ON arrives I have a spare bash guard (as well as a couple of other bits too). I think I'll be designing and 3D printing this 'fix'. If successful I'll make the file available
Do you think the bash guard is sturdy enough to give the battery the support needed? Doesn´t the bash guard just slide on up front?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Do you think the bash guard is sturdy enough to give the battery the support needed? Doesn´t the bash guard just slide on up front?
I'll have to wait and see when I have my bike and the guard (It's scheduled for delivery Thursday next week). I'll keep the thread updated.
It seems to be such a shame that this one issue is the Achilles heel of this bike.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I'll have to wait and see when I have my bike and the guard (It's scheduled for delivery Thursday next week). I'll keep the thread updated.
It seems to be such a shame that this one issue is the Achilles heel of this bike.
Agreed.

Another issue I thought of with supporting the battery from the bash guard / skid plate is the energy from hard hits to the skid plate being transferred the the battery and the connector.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles