Strive:ON problems

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
How did the ride go?
Did you try out any of the new modes?
I haven't had chance yet.
Me neither. The weather has been so wet in recent weeks that my planned route in the Peaks would have been nothing but a slop fest. Fingers crossed for a dry, windy week to dry out the ground

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
It is indeed a temporary solution from canyon. It is similar to what many people have done, including myself. My temporary solution worked well. It takes away the weight of the battery from the small clips which brake. I swapped the latch . Feels solid. Canyon said the final solution will take longer, which makes sense the need to order molds and test thoroughly,...

I'm still really happy with my bike. It rides amazing. I would advise it, regardless of this issue.
update regarding the latch issues : I recieved and installed the new bosch latch. went on few ride. no problem.
So it is clear that the issue is mainly caused by Bosch. i guess Canyon strive:eek:n has the most issues with it, although the scott also had simular issues.
anyway, i'm happy how Canyon Belgium handled it. the acknowledged the problem, they send a temp solution first and now the final solution.
and i'm still really happy with the strive:eek:n, great bike.

eddie89

Sep 18, 2023
germany
after a long wait, i started my own development last year. after many prototypes, i have a perfect and working solution, even with contact pressure adjustment.
IMG_6625.jpg
IMG_6623.jpg
IMG_6624.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
after a long wait, i started my own development last year. after many prototypes, i have a perfect and working solution, even with contact pressure adjustment.
That looks great and there are even metal parts underneath, wow!
Do you sell that? How long did you test your solution under real working (riding) conditions?

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Knick Knack I'm going insane!
OK, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the crank area (hopefully not the motor) but when I'm pedalling I'm getting some knick knack sounds, not mega loud and I don't think it's rock being thrown up on the downtube as they're usually louder (but very annoying! never had it like this with other bikes maybe bigger fat downtube to blame). So question is... do I remove the cranks and clean and re-grease? it's not the seat post I don't think but will move it up and clean it and use carbon paste... but what else should I do? I'm very experienced with pulling apart my bikes and servicing them and understand typically where these noises can come from on a regular bike but unsure with this as new to eMTB. Any advice beyond the regular cranks, seat post, seat, stem bolts, pedals etc... appreciated.

BTW anything special to consider with an eMTB re clean/re-grease cranks apart from the fact it has no bottom bracket that I can service?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Could it be from the pedals? I had a brand new set of Burgtec Penthouse Mk5's that immediately had an issue and would click on every rotation of the cranks. I could even feel it in my foot. They then ejected their grease, so I sent them straight back to be rebuilt under warranty.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Could it be from the pedals? I had a brand new set of Burgtec Penthouse Mk5's that immediately had an issue and would click on every rotation of the cranks. I could even feel it in my foot. They then ejected their grease, so I sent them straight back to be rebuilt under warranty.
pretty sure not, but to be sure I'll also replace the pedals with my other ones which don't creak on my other bike... won't hurt...

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
What crank arm puller tool do you need for the Strive:On pls?
I have the 8mm and a square taper crank puller but not sure what I need for the Strive:On cranks
I have the Shimano XT system / green / middle tier CFR if that makes any difference

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
Could it be the saddle or saddle rails?
That can make a horrible creaking noise while pedaling.
A clean and grease of the rails can help if it's that.

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
What crank arm puller tool do you need for the Strive:On pls?
I have the 8mm and a square taper crank puller but not sure what I need for the Strive:On cranks
I have the Shimano XT system / green / middle tier CFR if that makes any difference

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
pretty sure not, but to be sure I'll also replace the pedals with my other ones which don't creak on my other bike... won't hurt...
Yeah, it's a simple thing to try. I was surprised to find such expensive new pedals with a fault, but better that it was the pedals than anything else.

As for the crank puller, I think I just used a standard one from a MTB toolkit I had. I don't recall buying anything special to get them off.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Knick Knack I'm going insane!
OK, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the crank area (hopefully not the motor) but when I'm pedalling I'm getting some knick knack sounds, not mega loud and I don't think it's rock being thrown up on the downtube as they're usually louder (but very annoying! never had it like this with other bikes maybe bigger fat downtube to blame). So question is... do I remove the cranks and clean and re-grease? it's not the seat post I don't think but will move it up and clean it and use carbon paste... but what else should I do? I'm very experienced with pulling apart my bikes and servicing them and understand typically where these noises can come from on a regular bike but unsure with this as new to eMTB. Any advice beyond the regular cranks, seat post, seat, stem bolts, pedals etc... appreciated.

BTW anything special to consider with an eMTB re clean/re-grease cranks apart from the fact it has no bottom bracket that I can service?
Elimination process:-
1. See if the noise is still there when pedalling whether seated or stood up on the pedals. If it is still there it is not the saddle.
2. See if the noise is only associated with fairly high torque on the cranks or also with only light pressure on the pedals. If is still there even with light torque on the pedals it is less likely to be cranks or motor retention bolts but could be pedals or a worn chainwheel/damaged chain. If only there with fairly heavy torque on the pedals, regardless whether seated or stood up, I would suspect pedals, cranks, or motor retention bolts. Knackered pedal bearings should be easy enough to test by hand. checking how the chain rides on the chainwheel can be checked by eye on a workstand. Motor retention bolts can only really be dealt with by removal, cleaning , regreasing, and re torqueing.

Chady

May 4, 2022
West yorkshire
Hi all been following this thread for a while just about to pull the trigger on this with the bike with the discounts at the moment but been wary with the battery latch problems. Just wondering Hows the battery mechanism holding up for you guys riding with the upgraded/updated fix from canyon and bosch?anyone managed to get sum miles in with this fix?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Hi all been following this thread for a while just about to pull the trigger on this with the bike with the discounts at the moment but been wary with the battery latch problems. Just wondering Hows the battery mechanism holding up for you guys riding with the upgraded/updated fix from canyon and bosch?anyone managed to get sum miles in with this fix?
With the redesigned latch I've had absolutely no problems at all. The achilles heal of this bike has been fixed. It's a great bike now. I wouldn't hesitate getting one with the discounts available

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Thank you sir for the quick reply.
It's a bit more reassuring to no that the fix is working for someone.
My friend Andy has the same bike (I have the green CFR and he has the Underdog CFR). He also has the new latch fitted after some issues with the original item and hasn't had any problems with battery disconnects since swapping

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
My friend Andy has the same bike (I have the green CFR and he has the Underdog CFR). He also has the new latch fitted after some issues with the original item and hasn't had any problems with battery disconnects since swapping
I think you should also mention what size battery you are using. The 625Wh model always had fewer problems than the 750Wh model because it is 680 grams lighter. This can make a big difference in tough enduro use.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Zero problems with mine since the upgrade. 750Wh Underdog. It’s a fantastic bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles