Levo Gen 3 Stripping the Alloy Frame to Raw.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Some outside shots.
4CF7D78F-05EB-48FD-8D0C-83AD7608EA10.jpeg
A8F767B9-0FC6-4F5C-99E5-57A9030DD49D.jpeg
E6DB12DB-EDC9-4847-9EAF-05C65335576E.jpeg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Awesome job so far!
Can you tell me if the hole for the screw that holds the TCU in the top tube is a threaded insert/river or the actual frame is threaded? I have a mate who has a new levo and the screw is spinning, can’t tighten or loosen it

Threaded frame.

7FB58E5F-CE36-44D6-BF94-66FBFC12017D.jpeg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Yeah some alloys just don't come up mirror finish no matter how much time you spend on them. I had a nitrous bottle once which wouldn't get past the level you have despite hours of trying.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Guys these things look great. Has anyone checked with the manufacturers to see if stripping voids the frame warranty. Back In the states Cannondale would generally not honor a warranty on a stripped frame and decades ago Klein stopped making raw frames because they claimed the raw frame alloy metal was leading to more frames breaking and also would not warranty a frame an owner stripped. I have taken two bikes to raw and they look great - nothing better than to be able to sand and then use mothers polish to bring a frame back to perfect, but would like to know about how the process affects a frame warranty before taking a bike to raw.

V

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I know of a guy in Cornwall that strips and paints Spesh frames and retains the warranty. But I suspect my frame will no liner be covered, but hopefully I’ll never have to find out.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Guys these things look great. Has anyone checked with the manufacturers to see if stripping voids the frame warranty. Back In the states Cannondale would generally not honor a warranty on a stripped frame and decades ago Klein stopped making raw frames because they claimed the raw frame alloy metal was leading to more frames breaking and also would not warranty a frame an owner stripped. I have taken two bikes to raw and they look great - nothing better than to be able to sand and then use mothers polish to bring a frame back to perfect, but would like to know about how the process affects a frame warranty before taking a bike to raw.

V
Does stripping the frame of paint increase the risk for corrosion?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Not really. Alloy doesn’t really corrode like steel. It will oxidise on the surface but it’s not a destructive form of corrosion.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
No, there is no point. One of the benefits of Raw alloy is that you don’t really need to worry about paint chips or anything.

If you do add a hard clear coat, it will chip and look ugly quite quickly.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Isn't there a grommet something to stop the cables rubbing where they exit the underside of the top tube ? (Especially as you're a man who doesn't like noises ...)

It does look bloody good ! The welds don't stand out as they did before you polished.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
There is no gromet. But the internal
Plastic tubes are pretty solid and held in place by a bracket on the side bar.

I then stuff bubble wrap around the TCU where I also have a Levociraptor, I can also stuff bubble wrap up towards the TCU from under the Down tube.

The bike was silent around Cwmcarn on its first ride.

So nice to hear the tyres on the trail and no other rattles or clatter.

Astonishing really, still can’t get my head around how riders put up with the noise from the Bosch.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think red calipers might look really nice and go with the o rings on the fork
I’ll be fitting the yellow calipera if I can find any. Not sure they are available new any more?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Astonishing really, still can’t get my head around how riders put up with the noise from the Bosch.
It does seem to vary a lot from bike to bike. I find the one on my Focus to be far quieter than the Rail.

Just swapped out my finned XT pads and they make more noise than the Bosch on the Focus.

Did we mention that your bike looks freekin hot ! @BAMBAMODA's seen it now and he has absolutely no control over his sexual urges, I would STRONGLY advise spraying the whole bike with some form of temporary protective film.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles