Stock H15 rear hub is destroyed after 4 weeks

beholdtheflesh

Jun 6, 2022
Denver, CO, US
My H15 came with no-name hubs, and in the last couple rides there's been a clunk noise coming from the hub when you start pedaling after coasting. I just got back from the bike shop who pulled apart the hub. They said the notches that the pawls sit in are "ovaling out" sending out chunks of metal aka the hub is completely toast. They are filing a warranty claim.

Has anybody else with a Rise H experienced this? I read in forums that the bike was supposed to come with Shimano hubs so I was surprised to see generic hubs when I picked it up. It's disappointing that Orbea installed some apparently cheap crappy hubs. If yours came with Shimano hubs, can you tell me exactly which model? I might look into an "upgrade."

PXL_20220514_011357762.jpg

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
That does look a bit like the Shimano deore. But someone else posted this no name hub on here and one difference besides having no branding was a silver micro spline receiver (the Shimano is black I believe), and they reported the weight being ~200 g less than the same wheel with the Shimano hub. Who know's Shimano's direct to builder options, but I doubt they made a special silver spline version for builders. My guess is this is a no name brand like Sun or something.

Going forward, maybe convincing the shop to get you a Race Face Vault hub laced to the wheel for cost? If not the Deore is a great hub if they can install that on Orbea's dime. Just a bit heavy.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
A friend of mine with an m20 just had his stock rear hub blow up. He only uses eco when he needs it, rides w/o power 50% of the time.

beholdtheflesh

Jun 6, 2022
Denver, CO, US
Yesterday's ride was the final one for this hub. It made some disconcerting noises, then completely failed. It no longer engages, and definitely makes some strange noises when the wheel is spinning.

I ordered a Shimano MT-510-B for $65 and the shop will re-build my wheel for me at no cost. I didn't want to be down waiting for the results of the warranty claim. I also didn't want to spend $350 for a new hub! Thankfully I have a spare back wheel from another bike that I can use for the next few days until my re-built wheel is ready!

I posted a question on mtbr forums' wheel and tire forum asking about the MT-510-B - since it's so cheap, yet it is spec'd on lots of new bikes stock, including (supposedly) the Orbea Rise itself (I was expecting to have that one on mine)! My exhaustive research on that hub yielded very little - although nothing bad. Apparently is is rather heavy but reliable, and I was hoping to learn more about it. But upon posting over there, I was greeted with a bunch of snark (not surprising) - "shitmano," some nonsense about how this bike is a motorcycle (LOL), and how the only durable hubs are top-of-the-line very expensive ones and everything else is trash...yet conspicuosly no replies yet from anybody who actually knows about the MT-510-B.

BiGJZ74
I am curious which hub your friend's bike has that blew up - is it the same as mine?

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
It’s a good hub. I have a similar deore hub on my commuter ebike with 7200 miles and not a single issue. The version Orbea uses has been flawless on my H15.

I’d still move forward with the warranty claim.

Erjabato

May 28, 2022
The great Spain
Mine doesn't have the "Shimano" word on it, so I assume it will be a Chosen Hub :mad:
Does anyone know if pawls or pieces from Shimano can be interchanged / used to repair the "Chosen" without having to throw away the full wheel in case it fails? Or are they completely different animals?

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
So what I am reading is that people are removing their Shimano hubs to replace with others, and meanwhile I am actually installing a shimano hub ?:LOL:

Replaced with a $250-450 hub, on relatively cheap hoops like the ARCs makes no sense. If you're going that route you might as well get a custom wheel set built or buy the RF Turbines with Vault hubs. You will very likely be just fine with the Shimano hub. I've seen complaints with the newer SLX/XT mechanisms, but from my experience the tried and true Shimano deore design is very durable.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Mystery solved

@Longfellow78 see above. This is probably the hub on your stock wheel set.
Thank you for finding that out. Interesting and somewhat relieved now that I indeed purchased some handbuilt aftermarket wheels. I also guess these shithouse hubs are the reason for the significant weight saving over the stock wheels that I found. Of nearly 300g if I recall.

The stock wheels are sitting in my garage waiting to be sold along with some other stock parts.

Mystery indeed solved, good work.

beholdtheflesh

Jun 6, 2022
Denver, CO, US
A little update:

The bike shop rebuilt my AR30 with the new-in-box Shimano FH-MT-510-B I got for $65 - and a few rides in, so far it's working great!

The shop lead who is handling my warranty claim said that Orbea is shipping them a new hub...from Spain. Expects it to take a couple weeks to arrive here in Colorado. No idea what type of hub Orbea is sending us...but I will post an update as soon as we find out!

Reactions: Dax

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
Another Rise owner with a blown out hub. I think it was pretty much 4 weeks with mine until it crapped out. Happened on a Friday so I took it to my shop and had them build it back up with a Factor hub. Was hesitant to build around the AR30, but my wheelbuilder said it really isn't that bad of a rim and I was already out a bunch of money so a new rim wasn't happening. Plus my brother was visiting with his Rise from out of state so I needed to get back rolling quickly. They had it ready the next morning. Orbea is sending me a new rear wheel so I will probably keep it for a spare (the rim mainly...no faith if it is the no-name hub). May spring for some better rims next year, but honestly not that worried about it now that I have a solid hub in the back.

Jfive

Mar 27, 2022
USA
Just checked my H30 and I don’t see any Shimano label on the hub either. Looks like I have the Chosen Hub too. I’ve only got about 100 miles in so far and it’s been fine. Time will tell though…

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
They are horrible. I’m supposed to be getting a new rear wheel and I’m going to be pretty disappointed if it has the POS hub on it.

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
So I guess you can say my story has a relatively happy ending. Got my replacement wheel today. The only surprise is was a front wheel rather than a rear wheel. You’d think I’d be mad but the reality is that i can use that front wheel on any of my three bikes and I likely would have never used it as a rear wheel anyways!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles