Still Happy With Your Purchase?

ibrakeforsquirrels

May 31, 2021
US/PNW
Fresh from the newbie section, but I've been lurking and reading here for a little while now. I have the Rise M20 at the top of my short list. I've owned several non-e Specialized bikes and was considering the full Levo or SL variants, but was really looking for a 'tweener'. Enter the Rise. Lighter than the Levo, but more powerful than the SL. The perfect 3x power output? Also seems like the sweet spot for older riders transitioning to the future. Please share your thoughts!

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Good summation.

I've had mine since Feb. First ebike, never ridden any ebike before buying this. My other bike is a specialized Stumpjumper sworks.

The Stumpy only saw action when the Rise rear shock was leaking and had to be repaired, otherwise confined to the back of the garage.

The Rise makes me work for it, but I get to spend my finite energy just on fun, technical stuff, not grinding up a fireroad.

Surprisingly, it did brilliantly at bike park Wales too, rolled faster than the Trek Session on 27.5s and only lost ground to the enduro on the gnarliest rock garden, and was way more plush than a mates XC Scott bike. Even being able to boost it at the bottom to get back up to the uplift was a saviour...

I love the bike. It works everywhere.

If I had to dig around for negatives:
1. The motor rattle, it doesn't bother me much at all, but it is there.
2. The front brake (M10). Way too weedy, so swapped it out for 220.
3. Reckon tyre. It's ok for summer, and progressively gives up, but there are better choices out there.
4. I don't get that rewarding utterly ruined feeling after a big ride, which besides the painful leg cramps could feel rather rewarding. My mates are old school so they give up before I'm half way through my battery. ... I know, I could choose to back it off more, but I don't.
5. For a bike, this, and most other equivalent bikes are absurdly expensive.

Do I regret buying it? No.
Four months in, do I wish I'd bought something else? No. The latest decoy, Rotwild and Canon Spectral are probably the closest runners for me, but weight is so important to the feel and the Rise is the sweetspot for me, build quality and LBS seal the deal.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I am very happy with the Rise, but it's not what I want out of an ebike. It's absolutely amazing, but I miss the "full fat" power of my Turbo Levo especially on super steep climbs. I redline a lot more on the Rise than I am comfortable with. "Just get fitter"...sure, if it was that easy I wouldn't be riding an ebike in the first place :)

I still haven't given up on getting a lightweight, full power ebike. I'm putting a deposit on a Mondraker Crafty Carbon RR SL. I don't dig the gen 3 Levo at all, I think it's seriously "over-biked". Plus I'm on my third motor, so I prefer to stick to other manufacturers for my next ride.

The one question you have to ask yourself is, do you plan to milk the battery for all it's worth, or go all-boost-all-the-time? I'm in the latter camp, "eco" and "trail" settings don't interest me except as a crutch when the battery gets low. With that in mind the Rise is by far the best of the light ebike bunch. But if you're the type who will rarely touch Boost mode, there's no reason not to consider a Levo SL, especially in the US where Orbea dealers are less common, or some of the others.

Last edited:

ibrakeforsquirrels

May 31, 2021
US/PNW
I am very happy with the Rise, but it's not what I want out of an ebike. It's absolutely amazing, but I miss the "full fat" power of my Turbo Levo especially on super steep climbs. I redline a lot more on the Rise than I am comfortable with. "Just get fitter"...sure, if it was that easy I wouldn't be riding an ebike in the first place :)

I still haven't given up on getting a lightweight, full power ebike. I'm putting a deposit on a Mondraker Crafty Carbon RR SL. I don't dig the gen 3 Levo at all, I think it's seriously "over-biked". Plus I'm on my third motor, so I prefer to stick to other manufacturers for my next ride.

The one question you have to ask yourself is, do you plan to milk the battery for all it's worth, or go all-boost-all-the-time? I'm in the latter camp, "eco" and "trail" settings don't interest me except as a crutch when the battery gets low. With that in mind the Rise is by far the best of the light ebike bunch. But if you're the type who will rarely touch Boost mode, there's no reason not to consider a Levo SL, especially in the US where Orbea dealers are less common, or some of the others.

In my 60's now, so I just want have fun and still have enough power to dial in the workout I want on any particular day. Thanks for the feedback!

ibrakeforsquirrels

May 31, 2021
US/PNW
Good summation.

I've had mine since Feb. First ebike, never ridden any ebike before buying this. My other bike is a specialized Stumpjumper sworks.

The Stumpy only saw action when the Rise rear shock was leaking and had to be repaired, otherwise confined to the back of the garage.

The Rise makes me work for it, but I get to spend my finite energy just on fun, technical stuff, not grinding up a fireroad.

Surprisingly, it did brilliantly at bike park Wales too, rolled faster than the Trek Session on 27.5s and only lost ground to the enduro on the gnarliest rock garden, and was way more plush than a mates XC Scott bike. Even being able to boost it at the bottom to get back up to the uplift was a saviour...

I love the bike. It works everywhere.

If I had to dig around for negatives:
1. The motor rattle, it doesn't bother me much at all, but it is there.
2. The front brake (M10). Way too weedy, so swapped it out for 220.
3. Reckon tyre. It's ok for summer, and progressively gives up, but there are better choices out there.
4. I don't get that rewarding utterly ruined feeling after a big ride, which besides the painful leg cramps could feel rather rewarding. My mates are old school so they give up before I'm half way through my battery. ... I know, I could choose to back it off more, but I don't.
5. For a bike, this, and most other equivalent bikes are absurdly expensive.

Do I regret buying it? No.
Four months in, do I wish I'd bought something else? No. The latest decoy, Rotwild and Canon Spectral are probably the closest runners for me, but weight is so important to the feel and the Rise is the sweetspot for me, build quality and LBS seal the deal.

Thanks for your honesty!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Boost isn't all about raw power though - it's a much less "controlled" and "natural" assistance versus Trail mode. You can easily crank up the max assist for Trail mode via the eTube app if you want. Give that a try - you may really like it.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I have 2 suggestions.
Focus on a reliable Ebike.
Get proper size frame.
OK the third is, if needed, get proper tires for your needs.

geardoc

Apr 13, 2021
Vermont
My Wild FS is great. It lets me ride to the trails instead of driving my car. I use it mostly in ECO mode - seems the most natural to me. I wish I had the lighter weight Orbea Rise instead, since I end up having to push my bike over a lot of unrideable terrain.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
My Wild FS is great. It lets me ride to the trails instead of driving my car. I use it mostly in ECO mode - seems the most natural to me. I wish I had the lighter weight Orbea Rise instead, since I end up having to push my bike over a lot of unrideable terrain.
What engine do you have?
Do you have walk mode?

geardoc

Apr 13, 2021
Vermont
What engine do you have?
Do you have walk mode?
It's a Bosch CX motor with a Purion display. I frequently use the walk mode, but have to modulate it, turning it on and off. The walk mode seems to be set at about 2 miles/hour or more. On the rough terrain where I need it, I can't walk any faster than 1 mile/hour. Think huge boulders or large tree trunks where I'm bushwalking over portions of the forest. On smoother terrain where I can easily push the bike, the walk mode is unnecessary.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It's a Bosch CX motor with a Purion display. I frequently use the walk mode, but have to modulate it, turning it on and off. The walk mode seems to be set at about 2 miles/hour or more. On the rough terrain where I need it, I can't walk any faster than 1 mile/hour. Think huge boulders or large tree trunks where I'm bushwalking over portions of the forest. On smoother terrain where I can easily push the bike, the walk mode is unnecessary.
I am with Yamaha so the only suggestion i can say is lift your rear wheel and switch gear to get it to a speed that makes sense for your situation. From reading some do that but i just do not remember on what system they are. Why not ask your retailer or email Bosch. I do that email tyres manufacturers and usualy it gets a fast answer.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway

Remember to choose the right gear for the terrrain when in walk mode. I didn’t think of that in the beginning and sometimes I felt the bike ran away from me if it was in a lower gear

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Yep it’s still good, i’m A motorcycle man... so second nature checking such, having said the Levo has never been wet, either riding (just lucky) or washing use a damp cloth and a paint brush and WD or Silicone spray, it’s pretty dam close to the day it came out of the shop, but a Levo Pro is very tempting assuming they ever turn up...., and having to cough up half of what I paid for my KTM.

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas

I received my Mondraker Crafty RR SL, finally, after a long wait, and I think it might hit the sweet spot between the S-Works Turbo Levo (1st gen with 35 nm) and the Gen 3. The Crafty is heavier than the Claimed weight of the Rise, but has 50% more power. The Crafty was billed as the lightest full power ebike, which it was,until the Gen 3, I guess. Anyway, I think you will love the Crafty. I am still waiting on my Rise, so looking forward to compare.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I received my Mondraker Crafty RR SL, finally, after a long wait, and I think it might hit the sweet spot between the S-Works Turbo Levo (1st gen with 35 nm) and the Gen 3. The Crafty is heavier than the Claimed weight of the Rise, but has 50% more power. The Crafty was billed as the lightest full power ebike, which it was,until the Gen 3, I guess. Anyway, I think you will love the Crafty. I am still waiting on my Rise, so looking forward to compare.

I rode a Foxy last week. Holy shit I was not expecting how good it feels. Super stable and composed, instantly comfortable. Now I'm really jonesing for a Crafty :)

First gen Levo was still 90Nm, not 35. I'm guessing you meant the SL?

I thought the Bosch gen 4 was 85Nm? I guess we're rounding up :p (42% more than the Rise).

Gen 3 Levo is not light. ~48.6lbs claimed weight for the S-Works (Gen 2 was 44-45lbs). I'm sure that's without pedals. That's part of what I mean, it's way over-biked for a trail bike. But most of the people I ride with think they need 1400g tires and Fox 38 forks so it makes sense, this is what the market demands, whether or not they actually need it :)

Last edited:

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas
I rode a Foxy last week. Holy shit I was not expecting how good it feels. Super stable and composed, instantly comfortable. Now I'm really jonesing for a Crafty :)

First gen Levo was still 90Nm, not 35. I'm guessing you meant the SL?

I thought the Bosch gen 4 was 85Nm? I guess we're rounding up :p (42% more than the Rise).

Gen 3 Levo is not light. ~48.6lbs claimed weight for the S-Works (Gen 2 was 44-45lbs). I'm sure that's without pedals. That's part of what I mean, it's way over-biked for a trail bike. But most of the people I ride with think they need 1400g tires and Fox 38 forks so it makes sense, this is what the market demands, whether or not they actually need it :)
Yeah, getting fast and loose with statistics, sorry, but you get the point! :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles