STEPS E8000 Motor Service

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
What a great question!
An ABEC3 LLU bearing would be a better choice. Everyone thinks that ABEC5 is the best quality you can get! It is only a standard denoting the tolerance of the bearing (it is harder to make, therefore costs more). It could still be made from chocolate!
Fitting a bearing designed for a high speed electric motor is not whats required for a crankshaft doing 90rpm max. There is a good reason ALL motor manufactures use ABEC3 bearings.
2-RS seals can come in many different guises, many cheaper bearings don't even have an inner race lip for the seal so sit in and offer very little in the way of protection. LLU is the best type of sealing you can get, offering a labyrinth type seal against any ingress. This type of seal does present slightly more friction, but a very small price to pay for protecting your motor.
This is why it's generally better to buy your bearings from someone who knows ebike motors :) If you're in France, talk to our man Henryk here: Evtt-moteur
so you consider this one ;
a better choice

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
Definitely do not use "MAX" bearings, these are pivot bearings for use with suspension linkage and the like. They don't last 5 minutes when used as a roller bearing.
what is the model you sale ? the 6805 replacement ?
is it a llb ?!

this one is OK ?

or maybe this one ?

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
what is the model you sale ? the 6805 replacement ?
is it a llb ?!

this one is OK ?

or maybe this one ?
Has Henryk upset you? Will he not sell you bearings?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Just get the 6805 ZZ (metal shielding on both sides).
Those bearings dont need sealing from the outside elements. They dont suffer from potential grit ingress like the crank axle bearings do.
So using a LLU type will only add cost and friction. Same goes for the RS version.

You can find for example the NSK 6805 ZZ pretty much everywhere...

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Just get the 6805 ZZ (metal shielding on both sides).
Those bearings dont need sealing from the outside elements. They dont suffer from potential grit ingress like the crank axle bearings do.
So using a LLU type will only add cost and friction. Same goes for the RS version.

You can find for example the NSK 6805 ZZ pretty much everywhere...
But this is why that particular bearing fails! When water and grit gets past the first line of defence, the single soft lip seal, there is no back-up!? The crap goes straight into ZZ bearing. Surely an RV or an LUV would be perfect? Second line of defence from a rubber bearing seal behind the outer motor seal, and a metal shield inner to elevate as much friction as possible!

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
But this is why that particular bearing fails! When water and grit gets past the first line of defence, the single soft lip seal, there is no back-up!? The crap goes straight into ZZ bearing. Surly an RV or an LUV would be perfect? Second line of defence from a rubber bearing seal behind the outer motor seal, and a metal shield inner to elevate as much friction as possible!

Does it? Those bearings are not the weak point of the design and Shimano didnt put ZZ types in there for no reason. They are not like the crank axle bearings that need good protection for being located right next to the crank seals.

In my opinion the 6805ZZ bearings will outlast the crank axle bearings, probably like 2 to 5 times over. So why bother?
I see many people here replacing those bearings (moi included...ahum...) when they are not even slightly worn.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
the problem is 45€ for 6805 replacement is too much in my opinion, I prefer a cheaper reliable alternative, hope you understand, but if its a problem to tell me what is the one you sell, no problem.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Does it? Those bearings are not the weak point of the design and Shimano didnt put ZZ types in there for no reason. They are not like the crank axle bearings that need good protection for being located right next to the crank seals.

In my opinion the 6805ZZ bearings will outlast the crank axle bearings, probably like 2 to 5 times over. So why bother?
I see many people here replacing those bearings (moi included...ahum...) when they are not even slightly worn.
Are we talking about the same bearing? I am talking about the crank axle bearing that is fitted right next to the left hand crank seal. I understand that it should be protected by the motor cover seal, and for most situations it is. But, I have also pulled enough motors apart to know that this seal can and does let water and/or grit through, so if you ride off road, why wouldn't you put a second line of defence if you could?

I agree Shimano fitted a ZZ bearing for a very good reason, to get the maximum battery range and best "motor off feel" possible. This works perfectly well on a road bike and the bearing will last for thousands of miles. Odd that they fitted a sealed bearing to the right hand side though?
I also have to agree Shimano are one of the best sealed motors on the market, but like Yamaha, Brose, Bosch, TQ, Mahle, Panasonic, Impulse etc. etc. when it comes to off-road bikes, they're still not quite there yet. Think I will stick with an LLU.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Are we talking about the same bearing? I am talking about the crank axle bearing that is fitted right next to the left hand crank seal. I understand that it should be protected by the motor cover seal, and for most situations it is. But, I have also pulled enough motors apart to know that this seal can and does let water and/or grit through, so if you ride off road, why wouldn't you put a second line of defence if you could?

I agree Shimano fitted a ZZ bearing for a very good reason, to get the maximum battery range and best "motor off feel" possible. This works perfectly well on a road bike and the bearing will last for thousands of miles. Odd that they fitted a sealed bearing to the right hand side though?
I also have to agree Shimano are one of the best sealed motors on the market, but like Yamaha, Brose, Bosch, TQ, Mahle, Panasonic, Impulse etc. etc. when it comes to off-road bikes, they're still not quite there yet. Think I will stick with an LLU.

Oh wait i got confused. You are right, the 6805 is indeed one of the crank axle bearings.

Ok, so if you want that bit of extra protection, go for a better sealed type, but know that it adds a little bit of drag.
If you want to go for the cheaper and Shimano original solution, go for the 6805 ZZ, like the NSK i mentioned earlier.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Think I will stick with an LLU.
I've been reading about the bearings here - I like what you say re the better protection of the bearings that you are discussing. Are you able to say what these bearings are or is this knowledge part of your business? If so, can I order these and whatever else you suggest for rebuilding an e8000? I'm in Australia so won't be sending a motor to the UK and back. Also, my motor is still OK; I'm just anticipating the replacement in the next year or so.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I've been reading about the bearings here - I like what you say re the better protection of the bearings that you are discussing. Are you able to say what these bearings are or is this knowledge part of your business? If so, can I order these and whatever else you suggest for rebuilding an e8000? I'm in Australia so won't be sending a motor to the UK and back. Also, my motor is still OK; I'm just anticipating the replacement in the next year or so.
No problem, Just contact our Australian partner Paul, you can find his details here: www.ebikemotorcentre.com

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019

never ride under water so I presume zz is OK for my personnal case, ty

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
Yup, as long as you don't go off road, wash or transport your bike on a car rack in the wet, you'll be just fine (y)
my bike is never on the wet, off road yes, sometimes, always clean with clean rag and pencil, no jet washer or so, will go with zz because 50€ for an all mighty bearing is not acceptable to me, but atm motor have no problems, for future only if needed

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
my bike is never on the wet, off road yes, sometimes, always clean with clean rag and pencil, no jet washer or so, will go with zz because 50€ for an all mighty bearing is not acceptable to me, but atm motor have no problems, for future only if needed
€ 50!!! I am way too cheap! Even Henryk is only charging € 15.90

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
It's listed as the right hand bearing but is actually the left hand one you wanted. I have asked him to change this. I have also asked why his site is not currently allowing any selection of these parts!?
1658761986559.png

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Henryk can not order large quantities like Germany. Unfortunately, shipping costs to France have gone out of control since Brexit so he has to pass high shipping cost to his customers :cry: I am sure when more French people support him, he will soon bring the prices down.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
Henryk can not order large quantities like Germany. Unfortunately, shipping costs to France have gone out of control since Brexit so he has to pass high shipping cost to his customers :cry: I am sure when more French people support him, he will soon bring the prices down.
can henryk service the bearings ? if yes at which cost including bearings kit and shipping ? asking you because he s not answering ( thus it encourage me to buy from Germany ... )

edit: got the answer

Last edited:

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
Good morning from Strasbourg, Alsace, France.

Commencal delivers DU E8000 as is with 4.7.1 and 3000 mm and 0° angle.

When you have built it in your frame you have to fix with Commencal a rendez-vous
and then they take the hand over your PC connected with the Shimano Interface on your bike.
This service is included in the price of the Motor.

Commencal is also a bike builder that is why they are allowed by Shimano to do it.

But if you read all my answers here and on the german forum for example here or here
I have not to derestrict my DU because I only drive legal.
I had only to use ST Unlocker to have 2200 mm for the wheel and 34/14 for the braquet.
ST Unlocker is cheap in comparison with another wellknowned App. But it makes all the same.

Since 2 weeks I made the update myself with 4.9.3 with Shimano eTube Project,
because I shall purchase a BT-E8016, wich is not reconized by the elderly Shimano firmware.
I modified the accuholder two years ago.

My third DU I serviced, only with premium and bothsided sealed bearings is perfect,
but after 2772 km I replaced it with a 4th DU, because my insurance Wertgarantie payed me the engine,
and if I want to be covered also with the pickup-service I have to have this 4th engine in my frame.

But yesterday I tried to feel if the crank has a play after ~~ 4100 km like a metronome like my 3rd before my lucky servicing
and... yes, but it is absolutly silent and on the road it don't vibrates under the feet like a coffeemill. But how long?

On the german forum ther is someone who just built in his... 5th E8000 !

So I think I have once to replace it with an EP8.

After that we all have the problem with the bad BT-E8010 or BT-E8016 accus.

Have a nice day

Auberge Biblenhof 1 .jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles