Stance wire clean-up!

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
My son's Stance had the dreaded not switching off issue!
It had this intermittently back in drier South Africa and had the handlebar switch upgrade.
After several wet rides over here in the UK back to same problem!
On opening up... the wiring was sitting in wet mud with several of the connectors already corroding.
Cleaned it all up, dried with heat blower and dehumidifier, resealed with vulcanising tape, connectors with dielectric grease and then insulation tape.
After several rides it at least switched off!

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I saw lots of horrors in the shop where I bought my bike so I did mine and the wife's before the water had a chance to rot anything.

I swapped all the sleeving for DR25 (bacause it's slimmer and more flexible for easier packaging), sealed in between the wires at both ends and self-amalgamating taped over the connectors from one sleeve all the way across the connectors to the other sleeve. There's at least two layers of water-proofing on every part besides where the wires actually enter the motor.

Because I ride in wet and boggy terrain most of the time I went a few steps further on my own bike; I deleted the charging port and the associated wiring, because I always take the battery out after a ride and blow the mud and water out of the battery contacts with an airline anyway, so charging off the bike is no more hassle than charging on it; I took out all the non-essential stuff, cut the crappy non-sealed (!) original heat shrink off the wire joints and redid it with sealed sleeve with sealer between the individual wires, cut the original motor connector off and replaced it with a MIL-spec connector that I use in motorsport applications and self amalgamating taped over the lot.

Frankly, the quality of the wiring on the two Giant bikes we have was disgusting, given their supposed intended application. Literally not fit for purpose. Fortunately I had the materials and tools to make a decent job of it.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

This thread also has links to some covers that help alot. I also ride in mud all winter, and the Trance19 is riden exclusively when its nasty out.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
A fan heater is your bikes best friend. After a wet ride I remove the battery, place it in front of the opening and leave it there for a few hours depending on how wet it is. I've also pulled everything apart applied dielectric grease around the mating edges of the plugs and wrapped them in silicone tape. Also check the silicone sealing rings inside the plugs are seated properly. Since I've been doing this from the start of the year I've had no problems. Keep in mind that here on the outskirts of Sydney we are not famous for our rainfall unlike the UK.
☔

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
I saw lots of horrors in the shop where I bought my bike so I did mine and the wife's before the water had a chance to rot anything.

I swapped all the sleeving for DR25 (bacause it's slimmer and more flexible for easier packaging), sealed in between the wires at both ends and self-amalgamating taped over the connectors from one sleeve all the way across the connectors to the other sleeve. There's at least two layers of water-proofing on every part besides where the wires actually enter the motor.

Because I ride in wet and boggy terrain most of the time I went a few steps further on my own bike; I deleted the charging port and the associated wiring, because I always take the battery out after a ride and blow the mud and water out of the battery contacts with an airline anyway, so charging off the bike is no more hassle than charging on it; I took out all the non-essential stuff, cut the crappy non-sealed (!) original heat shrink off the wire joints and redid it with sealed sleeve with sealer between the individual wires, cut the original motor connector off and replaced it with a MIL-spec connector that I use in motorsport applications and self amalgamating taped over the lot.

Frankly, the quality of the wiring on the two Giant bikes we have was disgusting, given their supposed intended application. Literally not fit for purpose. Fortunately I had the materials and tools to make a decent job of it.

Wow! That would be beyond my Pay-Grade! I have done the best I can and seems to be resisting the slop that is the trails right now.
Holding thumbs it stays that way.

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
A fan heater is your bikes best friend. After a wet ride I remove the battery, place it in front of the opening and leave it there for a few hours depending on how wet it is. I've also pulled everything apart applied dielectric grease around the mating edges of the plugs and wrapped them in silicone tape. Also check the silicone sealing rings inside the plugs are seated properly. Since I've been doing this from the start of the year I've had no problems. Keep in mind that here on the outskirts of Sydney we are not famous for our rainfall unlike the UK.
☔

I have bought a Pet Dryer on Amazon, not the direct blast that my compressor gives and is nice warm air that seems to get the majority of the water out.

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom

This thread also has links to some covers that help alot. I also ride in mud all winter, and the Trance19 is riden exclusively when its nasty out.

Thanks... very helpful link! I have ordered a Rockguardz guard. I had one on my 2018 Levo and worked well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles