Terrible weather protection on motor ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all I decided today to give my trance a little extra clean after normal stuff chain,frame,drivetrain and wheels I've always noticed alot of crud builds up under the motor cover so today I stripped it and underneath was minging thick solid mud and under there is a load of cables for speed sensor brakes and others with connectors there's very little weather protection it's terrible I cleaned it and found the cables were rubbing on the motor housing wearing grooves in the case this is a terrible design I'm shocked really shocked anybody else found this I'm thinking of silicone sealant to seal it ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
It's shocking the workmanship is awful ! Those connectors are going to corrode in 2 mins especially in the UK I've ridden all winter in slop and rivers think I'll def seal it ?

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Yeah, they seem to have gone with "fully sealed, IP67" connectors and thought that would take care of it. As someone who designs electronics for the agricultural industry, I can tell you that in real-world wet conditions those connectors will not prevent water ingress issues occurring. I'm already thinking of what steps I can take to improve it ready for the winter, applying silicone grease around all those connectors will be my starting point. I have some other ideas, but would prefer to keep my warranty intact.

Last edited:

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
It's shocking the workmanship is awful ! Those connectors are going to corrode in 2 mins especially in the UK I've ridden all winter in slop and rivers think I'll def seal it ?

A word of warning if you're going to try and attempt to seal up the whole compartment. Don't forget that seals work both ways. Anything you do to try and keep water out, could end up doing a very good job of keeping the water in! Sitting the connectors/motor in it's own little puddle probably won't have desired result. :cool:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Yeah, they seem to have gone with "fully sealed, IP67" connectors and thought that would take care of it. As someone who designs electronics for the agricultural industry, I can tell you that in real-world wet conditions those connectors will not prevent water ingress issues occurring. I'm already thinking of what steps I can take to improve it ready for the winter, applying silicone grease around all those connectors will be my starting point. I have some other ideas, but would prefer to keep my warranty intact.

Would wrapping the connectors in heatshrink tubing help?

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Would wrapping the connectors in heatshrink tubing help?
It could for sure. It just depends on how much serviceability you want to maintain. The best heatshrink for sealing things up is the adhesive-lined stuff, but a that point you're gluing everything together at the same time. Non-adhesive and then seal up where the wires enter with sealant could be a sensible compromise.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've greased the connectors with dielectric, taped them with electrical tape, and have had no trouble so far. I've done a lot of mud riding. Also use a sock.

At least the connectors are serviceable with only removing a plastic cover. Many bikes require removal of the motor to get access, and yes, even those get wet. I'm not defending Giant here, pick your poison I guess.

If mine quits tomorrow, I'll never buy another one! Lol.

20200519_113935.jpg

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
A little story on the battery/cover of the Giant Trance E2 Pro.
My friend has the same bike as mine but putting about 20kg more on the scale he opted for a new 620 Wh battery. The new battery came (surprise) as battery only, no cover included, so not possible to quickly switch.
That cover would take about 6 months to be delivered according to Giant.
So we switched the 500 for the 620 battery and when removing the battery from the cover we were VERY surprised to see that the space under it was completely filled with dirt...like it was tampered. It was enough dirt to almost fill a teacup.
Since we had the bike we have only ridden in dry weather (we had no rain for months).
I wish I had taken some pictures...
It probably does no harm but as it seems the rubber seals (that were still in place) can't keep dust out.
I can now imagine how the motor compartment may look like...we will check that too.

Anyway, that Rock Guardz posted above seems very useful. Thanks for posting this @MrTeno2U

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I've greased the connectors with dielectric, taped them with electrical tape, and have had no trouble so far. I've done a lot of mud riding. Also use a sock.

At least the connectors are serviceable with only removing a plastic cover. Many bikes require removal of the motor to get access, and yes, even those get wet. I'm not defending Giant here, pick your poison I guess.

View attachment 38671
where did you get the cover?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
where did you get the cover?
To be honest, I think the rock-gaurdz will be a better solution. The sock is painful to get on and off, and lasted only one season. Its also very heavy.

I'm gonna try the carbon fiber gaurd this winter.

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
Just to make sure that I am not missing something. To get the motor cover off I have to remove the cranks and the lock nut? I still hope that I just miss a trick to get the cover off without removing all these parts :D

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Just to make sure that I am not missing something. To get the motor cover off I have to remove the cranks and the lock nut? I still hope that I just miss a trick to get the cover off without removing all these parts :D
Not sure what you're trying to take off. You can just remove the 4 chainring bolts to access the blocked allen bolt to remove the plastic cover :cool:

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
A word of warning if you're going to try and attempt to seal up the whole compartment. Don't forget that seals work both ways. Anything you do to try and keep water out, could end up doing a very good job of keeping the water in! Sitting the connectors/motor in it's own little puddle probably won't have desired result. :cool:
The area may also be there to serve as air vents and keep the motor cool too, so be careful what you do.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I've fitted a 34t chainring which means I can take the cover off without moving anything ? tbh the weather protection I can live a sort I think but the cables have worn a groove in the frame that's my worry so I've fitted rubber mastic tape on the frame I've also put tape over the cables inside the downturn to stop rattles then fitted foam strip in downturn so the battery seals properly also rubber tape on both chainstays as my left foot catches it I'm realising we seem to be r and d for the companies and the ebikes are still in there infantsie ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Ha I've had 4hrs sleep in last to nights 16month old lol and doing it on my phone I haven't the energy to do correct punctuation ☹️

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
View attachment 38678

As soon as I get some extra cash, I'd like one of these for keeping out much of the water and mud. The socks, work well but are heavy and hard to take on/off.
I ordered one of these and it seems the model changed a bit. It has a bit of extra material on both sides and really clings around the battery tube. A velcro strap is included but not even needed given the exact fit.
It'll surely prevent mud entering the gap between battery and motor cover and protects the latter. Worth every cent.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I ordered one of these and it seems the model changed a bit. It has a bit of extra material on both sides and really clings around the battery tube. A velcro strap is included but not even needed given the exact fit.
It'll surely prevent mud entering the gap between battery and motor cover and protects the latter. Worth every cent.
Any chance of a photo mate? Sounds really good, but £70 is a lot of beer tokens :D

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset

View attachment 38671
Is that a separate mud guard protecting the suspension linkages?

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset
Yes, many of us started stuffing a front mud fender inside our mudhuggers to protect the linkage. I post a link if I can find the thread.

That would be helpful thanks, now the weathers turning i want to protect those pivots and linkages as they look expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles