Ignore everyone, just do your thing.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
As my e160 is now 2 months out of warranty, motor-wise, I thought I'd share my mods with you. Fantastic bike, October 2021. I should really call it an e175 now. It's done 65 rides, just under 1200 miles/1900 kilomtres and is now in winter hibernation. Had the odd noise from the motor, no big deal. Can't hear the rattle now, probably stopped noticing it after the first few rides but I know it's still there, but who cares?

I've never had a bike I didn't modify, this one probably takes the biscuit though., therefore -
mods to my 2 wheeled friend roughly in this order:

XTR clipless pedals
Headlight removed
Cables removed from inside handlebar & stem
Mudguards fitted, BIG ones.
DIY rubber shock/frame linkage cover
DIY rubber battery box cover
Maxxis Minion DHR2 DD to replace Aggressor on rear
OneUp 35mm carbon bars
DIY double-thickness fat bar grips
DIY 15mm fork extender (phase 1)
TF Tuned 170mm air shaft for Bomber Z1s (phase 2, superceded)
Miranda 155mm cranks
DIY solid BB axle
Marzocchi Bomber CR coil shock 225mm x 75mm - 175mm travel
DIY lower shock extender mount
Rockshox 75mm coil spring
DIY coil spring top retaining collar
DIY 8mm polycarbonate bashguard
190mm Zeb Ultimates - virtual 205mm travel with extender
220mm rotors

The suspension mods and short cranks were done to get rid of pedal strikes. Ignore anyone who tells you it's just your lack of skill, that's rubbish and largely depends on the terrain you ride anyway unless you're a newbie - there are plenty of "real" expert riders online who have big trouble with eebs bottoming their cranks, as do some of the best riders in my neck of the woods.

I'm old, with a capital O, so I don't exploit this amazing bike anywhere near its capabilities, but it's extremely satisfying to ride, smooth, comfortable (yep, even with the original blade saddle). I ride a mix of rough and rooty XC and Trail Centre stuff with the odd accidental bit of DH thrown in, but can't jump much bigger than the average kerbstone and Caddon Bank's four wee drops scare the stuff out of me every time.

I've only used Boost setting a few times and not for long (pushing a mate half way up the fireroad to the start of Spooky Wood was the longest). Occasional loose rear axle on crappy Shimano hub amplifies the sound through the frame making it sound like motor noise, one to be aware of. I don't wet wash it but have taken the wheels off a few times and done them only, but for the frame I wait until any crap has dried and clean it with a rag and elbow grease. Speaking of grease, it's a good idea to keep the area between the cranks/BB and motor covers smothered in a waterproof one.

Happy New Year fellow riders, and just do your thing.

bashandccoil.jpg Zebsbitforum.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s always nice to have a small metal lathe or a 3D printer to produce parts or mods specific to your needs or type of riding. Or at least know someone who has these tools or skills.

I’m not sure about the striker plate (or skid plate) though. Even though it can prevent some knocks and scratches to the motor or bottom bracket area, it seems to reduce the clearance. Also it looks like it’s bolted to a part of the motor with an aluminum bracket. A severe knock might compromise the attachment point …which looks to be a bolt in the motor.

I know we can’t prevent every possible failure …but the skid plate looks worrisome. 🤷‍♂️. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve seen some other types of skid plates designed from different types of materials (plastic, alloy, carbon etc) , but most are fitted to the frame or are shaped the same as the original.

I’ve taken a few high-centred knocks and it’s definitely a concern. Broken some cooling fins and I’ve filed them smooth or round. I don’t want to crack the motor casing though.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
It’s always nice to have a small metal lathe or a 3D printer to produce parts or mods specific to your needs or type of riding. Or at least know someone who has these tools or skills.

I’m not sure about the striker plate (or skid plate) though. Even though it can prevent some knocks and scratches to the motor or bottom bracket area, it seems to reduce the clearance. Also it looks like it’s bolted to a part of the motor with an aluminum bracket. A severe knock might compromise the attachment point …which looks to be a bolt in the motor.

I know we can’t prevent every possible failure …but the skid plate looks worrisome. 🤷‍♂️. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve seen some other types of skid plates designed from different types of materials (plastic, alloy, carbon etc) , but most are fitted to the frame or are shaped the same as the original.

I’ve taken a few high-centred knocks and it’s definitely a concern. Broken some cooling fins and I’ve filed them smooth or round. I don’t want to crack the motor casing though.
Lucky for me I don't share your concern! Most other guards don't cover the chainring, mine does. If it ever takes a hit big enough to damage the motor mounts I'll probably be no more :p Seriously though, the 3mm aluminium brackets will fold first.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Lucky for me I don't share your concern! Most other guards don't cover the chainring, mine does. If it ever takes a hit big enough to damage the motor mounts I'll probably be no more :p Seriously though, the 3mm aluminium brackets will fold first.
Ah! I see. Those brackets can act as a sacrificial part to hold the skid plate. Easy to bend back into position also.

Kinda like a derailer hanger, for those of us that still use one. 👍🏻

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Great to see someone tweaking a bike to suit there needs/riding style/terrain.

What’s the story with the solid axle?

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
Great to see someone tweaking a bike to suit there needs/riding style/terrain.

What’s the story with the solid axle?
Hiya Dax. The solid axle stemmed from all the rumours (and photos) flying about regarding E13 cranks snapping the motor splines off. Although my bike came with 165mm Shimano cranks I wasn't prepared to take any chances when I decided to go with short Miranda cranks. I'll never be able to splash out that much cash again so I need to protect it (hence no wetness near the motor). The way I've set it up it's a tight push fit inside the motor spindle and tension on the meaty outer bolts is keeping it all braced together so I should never suffer broken splines (he hopes!).

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles