Help - Just purchased a used 900E and can't connect via Blue Tooth

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all.

The good news is my 2018 e160 900e has arrived! The bad news is I can't connect the bike with its SC-E8000 dispaly and my iPhone using Shimano's E-Tube Ride app :(

I have searched but think my issue is new, courtesy of Shimano recently updating the E-Tube Ride app to Version 1.1.2. Surely a 2018 model is not so old it is now obsolete?

Earlier today, I tried to connect to the bike via the SC-E8000 display and Blue Tooth. At that time the E-Tube Ride app was older than Version 1.1.2 but I can't recall what version it was. I got the pairing error as shown in the image below. I then began researching to find it is not so uncommon.

I then decided to update the app to the latest version expecting that to be a reasonable step to take. But no luck. And on looking at the app Release Notes, I see Version 1.1.2 of the app no longer supports the SC-E8000. WTF!!!!

Any constructive suggestions for me please?

Thanks.

BT Pairing Error.jpg

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I've now tried the E-Tube Project app. At least I get the Blue Tooth Pairing Request error again.

I've also asked the previous (original) owner for the BT pass code but don't hols much hope there.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've now tried the E-Tube Project app. At least I get the Blue Tooth Pairing Request error again.

I've also asked the previous (original) owner for the BT pass code but don't hols much hope there.
check out requirements under "download" on this page, if it's any help

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
check out requirements under "download" on this page, if it's any help

Not sure what you mean? Only after trying did I realise that the E-Tube Ride app V1.1.2 no longer supports the SCE8000.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Not sure what you mean? Only after trying did I realise that the E-Tube Ride app V1.1.2 no longer supports the SCE8000.
Well it looks like, as you found, the ride app isn't compatible. It also looks like v1.1.1 is not available, which is kind of weird. Often last known working version of software that works with something is still made available - maybe 1.1.1 didn't work with the e8000 either?

Project - I have connected with this, but not often. When I do I don't enable data on my phone - so no internet; I do that on purpose. I do need to enable location, for this I use only gps, not the tower cross referencing stuff. It won't connect without the location enabled - again gps only works.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
As far as I know the e-Tube Ride app never worked with the e8000 display. Well at least my 2019 e-160 didn't. It certainly didn't work in Oct 2018 when I collected the bike. It doesn't have a version of BT (BT LE??) that is required to transmit the sensor data to an external device. On my 2019 e160 I soon swapped out the e8000 display. I chose to use an EW-EN100 and a Garmin but an e7000 display works as well (as would the new en800 display with a cable adaptor). I prefer the EN100 as I like the coloured LED to see which assist mode I'm in. (The E7000 is not colour).

So basically e-Tube Project, yes. E-Tube Ride, no.

The default passcode is 00000000 (eight zeros).

Gordon

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for all the replies.

Happy to report I had success this afternoon using the E-Tube Project app Version 4.0.4. Oddly though, it wasn't by following the procedure suggested in the app itself.

This was what I did:

1. Opened the E-Tube Project app on my phone and waited for the "Reading now" message that showed an stagnant blue circle "searching" icon.
2. While the app was at the "Reading now" stage, I just turned on the bike. Nothing else.
3. The app recognised the SCE8000 display.
4. When prompted for a Password, I just entered "123456".

Pairing was complete. Odd that I didn't have to enter the "Blue Tooth LE" mode.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
.... I chose to use an EW-EN100 and a Garmin but an e7000 display ....

Thanks Gordon. How did you find out about the option of the EW-EN100 and Garmin display? Was it by studying the Shimano website or via a discussion with a bike shop?

What Garmin device are you using?

Thanks.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks Gordon. How did you find out about the option of the EW-EN100 and Garmin display? Was it by studying the Shimano website or via a discussion with a bike shop?

What Garmin device are you using?

Thanks.

I used this forum and some self research. But I'm good like that. I think I had the E8000 display and shifter off the bike in less than two weeks. This catalogue has all the info you need. Some of it's not really clear. They say the e8000 has bluetooth and that the e-ride app needs bluetooth but they don't mention the e8000 isn't compatible with the e-tube ride app. Bizarre. I got that info from an older catalogue. I can't remember where exactly. This is the latest one.

SM-E-BIKE_CAT-000-ENG.pdf (shimano.com)

On this page you can see the E8000 is NOT listed as a compatible device.

E-TUBE RIDE (shimano.com)

The 530, 830 and 1030 Garmins work with the EW-EN100, E7000 or EM800 displays. I use the 830 and 1030, although the 1030 mostly lives on my road bike.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles