ST Ride App - Tracker/dash/logger for STEPS motors

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Just got an orbea rise and found that the original e tube app is so basic it can't even show the % of battery. I really wanna use this ST Ride app but I am afraid of it harming my EP8 motor in some way. Can I be 100% sure it is harmless? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
Its Harmless, BUT, Shimano will knock back any warranty claims when they see that a third party software was connected. How do i know this, they knocked me back on the battery because i used ST Unlocker to check battery health and report back as shimano even took it out of the desktop software.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Its Harmless, BUT, Shimano will knock back any warranty claims when they see that a third party software was connected. How do i know this, they knocked me back on the battery because i used ST Unlocker to check battery health and report back as shimano even took it out of the desktop software.
These are horror stories for children :)
Moreover, STRide uses display's Bluetooth channels for readings ONLY, and no one can detect that any third party software was connected!

p.s. Same for the STUnlocker: nobody can detect the access if you used the App for readings only. STUnlocker works in the same way as original ETube App, which is highly recommended by the Shimano themselves. Sadly, the dealer just deceived you. They did not have and cannot have any evidence and rights to deny you a warranty replacement of bike parts.

Last edited:

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
I wish that was the case, however when log in via the dealer remotely, and I have no idea how they do it, it shows a log of all the log ins via blue tooth or the pc2 interface and it shows that it was non ETube software.

I agree with you, it's stupid bulshit....

Especially since both apps are sooo much better then ETube.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I wish that was the case, however when log in via the dealer remotely, and I have no idea how they do it, it shows a log of all the log ins via blue tooth or the pc2 interface and it shows that it was non ETube software.
1. There is no difference in ETube and STUnlocker bike access.
2. Shimano units does not have an access log.
3. STRide uses open/public Bluetooth channels for readings only. Bluetooth protocol does not have any features to detect an access and store logs.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ep8 does, well at least that's what I saw when the dealer was logged in, never got a print out of the log. That was enough for them to deny the claim.....
It's not true. EP8 has regulation changing log only.

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
@vadll would it be compatible with withings smartwatch? I would like it to show just the battery's percentage on the little screen

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
@vadll, does this mean that if we have used ST Unlocker to change the region that there is a record on the motor of that change that Shimano can see?
No. STUnlocker does not write any records in the regulation log

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
@vadll would it be compatible with withings smartwatch? I would like it to show just the battery's percentage on the little screen
This watch does not provide the ability to install external apps. Isn't it?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
So I have a Orbea Rise and want to use this app. I installed it on a Kyocera Duoforce pro that is running android 7.1.2 It seemed to install easy but I have tried it a couple of times and it seems to have trouble connecting. The only way it will work is to start the app before the bike then sometimes it will connect some times it will give a connection error. Then to try again I have to turn both off and restart. It also dissconnects on the trail and same issue, have to restart both, so I cannot count on it to track my rides. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a newer version of Android?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
So my wife has a newer phone than mine that is on Android 8 and it seems to be stable there. I gues this version just does not like Android 7

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
I have a special request - specifically for the Apple Watch screen and the stats shown. Please can we have a screen with the following 'essentials': Time of Day, Duration of ride, Battery %, current assist level, Distance travelled, estimated range. If I had to choose from those, I'd omit current assist level and estimated range. Having these what I call 'essential' stats on the screen would help with my eye site! (I don't wear my reading glasses when I go riding :-D )

And is there a way we can send you beer tokens?

Brilliant app, thank you!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Please can we have a screen with the following 'essentials': Time of Day, Duration of ride, Battery %, current assist level, Distance travelled, estimated range. If I had to choose from those, I'd omit current assist level and estimated range. Having these what I call 'essential' stats on the screen would help with my eye site! (I don't wear my reading glasses when I go riding :-D )
Ok, will do. Thanks

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The new version 1.8 for Android is ready.
New features:
1. New online maps sources. You can select which layouts you want to use and cycle switch them on a map screen
1639416398564.png

2. Added voice notification for various events/triggers
1639416593871.png

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I just noticed for the first time, on the iPhone app, that there is an option whereby I can modify the power output from 500w. I'm thinking that maybe I could bump it down 100 on Eco, and max it out to 600 on Boost. Anyone experiment with these settings?

Frankie_r

Oct 18, 2021
Italy
Hi Vadll, do you plan to implement the live tracking feature? I think you could even charge more for that (me for sure, since I need it 😉).

Frankie_r

Oct 18, 2021
Italy
What do you mean? Please explain

A feature like in Garmin devices that shares your GPS position with the people you want, through an URL with a map. Very useful if you ride alone and you want your family at home to track you. The position (latitude and longitude) is streamed via the phone connection. I can provide some examples if you want.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
A feature like in Garmin devices that shares your GPS position with the people you want, through an URL with a map. Very useful if you ride alone and you want your family at home to track you. The position (latitude and longitude) is streamed via the phone connection. I can provide some examples if you want.
Ok. Yes, please provide examples

Frankie_r

Oct 18, 2021
Italy
Ok. Yes, please provide examples

I think that Strava Beacon, that works as Garmin Live Track, is very well explained in this page:https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/224357527-Strava-Beacon

Basically, every time you start recording an activity, this feature automatically:
- shares an url with the contacts you want;
- clicking on the url, those contacts can see a map with your live position (streamed every 15 seconds or something similar I guess);
- the position (latitude and longitude) is streamed through the phone internet connection.

I think that the position streaming is quite easy, maybe the hardest part is the server side: website + map embed.

The first one that introduced the feature is Garmin, but there are also many dedicated app in the Android and iOS store that do the same: for example, CycleMeter and Glympse.

It’s very useful if you ride alone, because the people you care about can see where you are during the activity, and they can find you in case of emergency.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles