SRAM Guide brakes

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
So it happened to me, rear brake lever (Guide R, 2017 Levo) would not return. I called my LBS and they confirmed what I've read online - need to replace them under warranty. They've had to replace 20 or so..

Otherwise I've been very happy with the brakes, good modulation and stopping power. Stock pads wore pretty quickly but the cheapo Disco semi metallics have been great.

A bit hit & miss with me and brakes. On my previous emtb I had Deore M615, fabulous for the price. On my previous push mtb I had Shimano XT8000, not impressed at all. My current push bike has Guide RE, quite happy with them but I hope they won't fail like the R.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Yes, pretty happy with the Guides on my 2018 Levo at the moment, but when they inevitably fail, it's warranty claim, Ebay and then Hope time!

Reactions: Dax

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
My quick fix while waiting for the warranty replacement.

jarrut.jpg

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
So it happened to me, rear brake lever (Guide R, 2017 Levo) would not return. I called my LBS and they confirmed what I've read online - need to replace them under warranty. They've had to replace 20 or so..

Otherwise I've been very happy with the brakes, good modulation and stopping power. Stock pads wore pretty quickly but the cheapo Disco semi metallics have been great.

A bit hit & miss with me and brakes. On my previous emtb I had Deore M615, fabulous for the price. On my previous push mtb I had Shimano XT8000, not impressed at all. My current push bike has Guide RE, quite happy with them but I hope they won't fail like the R.
Hi @Sherman, this is a very common fault and not unique to Sram I have had this on both Guide and Code and exactly the same with a M8000 Shimano, it's caused by poorly moulded plastic pistons picking up and seizing in the bore.

Like you I now really like Sram brakes and compared to my previous Shimano brakes, I much prefer the greater modulation they provide.

I have never bothered with a warranty claim as it's fairly simple to fix. You might need to invest in some very fine needle nose circlip pliers and a bit of fine wet and dry but that's about it.

You will see the problem as soon as you extract the piston and just need to remove the score marks with the wet and dry and reinstall. You can buy all the seals etc for the master cylinder from SJS Cycles, so if it's done a bit of work it might be worth overhauling it at the same time. I'm pretty sure there is is video on youtube detailing the problem and the fix :)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The current 2018 Guide Brakes are unaffected. That being said, I still prefer the feel and modulation of SRAM over Shimano.
Shimano are easier to bleed and maintain.
I have a bike with Hopes, they’re pretty but not the most powerful or reliable for the price.
My crazy S-Works acoustic has Trickmaster Direttissmia Brakes and those are much more powerful than Hope, but not feasible to throw on everything I own.
I really like my new Hayes Dominion A4 brakes over both SRAM and Shimano
A5E593E9-3F0D-4623-8AE3-F61D69ED3284.jpeg

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
If your happy with Guides on a Levo then I'm guessing your not into Down Hill ?

I've ridden my Levo in in bike parks and been happy with the Guides there. Good performance and I very much prefer the feel of SRAM brakes to Shimanos I've had (no experience with Hope brakes). If just the quality was as good..

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
The SRAM guides on the Kenevo have had me worried because I have had previous problems with my Specialized Demo 8. I had to have the Guides replaced 3 times under warranty. I am still going ahead with my purchase but will be interested to know what or if people are changing Guides out for. I put it down to bad luck with my Demo 8 and fingers crossed the same won't happen when I get my Kenevo.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The SRAM guides on the Kenevo have had me worried because I have had previous problems with my Specialized Demo 8. I had to have the Guides replaced 3 times under warranty. I am still going ahead with my purchase but will be interested to know what or if people are changing Guides out for. I put it down to bad luck with my Demo 8 and fingers crossed the same won't happen when I get my Kenevo.
Guides don’t come on the Kenevo, CODEs do and I haven’t seen a single failure in my shop with the current generation. Most people change guides out for Shimano Saints, Zees and XT four piston.
Those with deeper pockets who want bling go with Hope

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Guides don’t come on the Kenevo, CODEs do and I haven’t seen a single failure in my shop with the current generation. Most people change guides out for Shimano Saints, Zees and XT four piston.
Those with deeper pockets who want bling go with Hope

Well it looks like I have been getting my brakes mixed up. For some reason I had it in my head that they were Guides. Thanks for the clarification.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles