SRAM 12-Speed - Cannot set it up properly?!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just googled the hanger alignment tool, I can make one of those if I figure out how it's supposed to work. Also that won't help with a bent derailleur though will it? Because I suspect mines a little bent somewhere, and not the lower cage.
Watch the video on how to use it and all will be clear. The device is simple, but the technique is important.

You are correct that it will not help with a bent mech, but unless you straighten the mech off the bike you risk bending the hanger! The tool will ensure that the hanger remains unbent.

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
Guys, adjusting my SRAM derailleur on my Turbo Levo took me a while. I struggled with gears shifting even though all the screws were correctly set. Also, the derailleur hanger was straight. As I had no clue where the issue was, I also measured the chain length, but the factory adjusted it. From my observation, I can say it was a bit too short - one link (against what the SRAM manual says). I left it as it was since the beginning (the bike has only been 200 km driven).

Finally, I think I found the root cause. I used the replacement axle (not the OEM one), where the manufacturer defined the torque maximum of 12 Nm, while the Turbo Levo manual says - 15 Nm. After installing the OEM rear axle, I adjusted the derailleur perfectly - it does not work 100% silent while the bike is fixed on the bike hanger. However, during ridding, it shifts smoothly, accurately, and silently!

I wanted to also share with you that after a couple of tries (it took me a while!), I also adjusted my Magura brakes. They are 100% silent - no rubbing, etc. I have MTX brake pads. Even though I think there's too much braking fluid and the clearance between pads is way too small. Nevertheless, the brakes work just perfectly now.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Watch the video on how to use it and all will be clear. The device is simple, but the technique is important.

You are correct that it will not help with a bent mech, but unless you straighten the mech off the bike you risk bending the hanger! The tool will ensure that the hanger remains unbent.
Watched the Park video, easy enough to use then. I found a clone of the Park tool version on eBay for £29 so for that price it's not worth me spending time making one. It's all stainless steel and looks fairly good from the photos so we'll see when arrives if it's tight enough and doesn't have too much slack in it to be effective.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve just had this exact same thing with my EX-1 8sp set up
I did all the things suggested and the hanger was slightly out, but that wasn’t the problem. I wondered if the cable was nipped somewhere by when I swapped it out it seemed free enough when I slid the new one in
Eventually I got it working but it would not select the top OR bottom gear. I decided it was the selector so I opened it up, it looked ok no visible signs of wear or corrosion. However I greased it up and when I put it back together it index up perfect first time
I never had SRAM before so I don’t know if this is common or not but I haven’t ever had it before

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I’ve just had this exact same thing with my EX-1 8sp set up
I did all the things suggested and the hanger was slightly out, but that wasn’t the problem. I wondered if the cable was nipped somewhere by when I swapped it out it seemed free enough when I slid the new one in
Eventually I got it working but it would not select the top OR bottom gear. I decided it was the selector so I opened it up, it looked ok no visible signs of wear or corrosion. However I greased it up and when I put it back together it index up perfect first time
I never had SRAM before so I don’t know if this is common or not but I haven’t ever had it before
Good info, when the new mech, hanger and cable arrives I'll definitely clean and grease the shifter too 👍🏻

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Ahhhhh, just realized I ordered a SRAM 12 speed NX rear mech rather than a 12 speed GX (that was originally on there).

So, will the NX be compatible with my current chain? And as the NX is lower in the SRAM range than the GX will it cause me an issue? Should I return it (not fitted it yet) and get the a GX?

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
I found NX to be a cheap RD compared to the GX one I have on my Mondi. The NX is also easy to break and I snapped the RDs mount easily (its plastic) on a ride (when I had NX on my hardtail bike) . So personally speaking I'd return it and get GX instead. Re chain compatibility it will be fine, though you need to check if its got the range if your cassette has a 52 big cog as I'm not sure if SRAM do the NX RD in 52 capacity? or if they had a old lower capacity and newer larger range one as they have on the rest of their 12spd RDs.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I found NX to be a cheap RD compared to the GX one I have on my Mondi. The NX is also easy to break and I snapped the RDs mount easily (its plastic) on a ride (when I had NX on my hardtail bike) . So personally speaking I'd return it and get GX instead. Re chain compatibility it will be fine, though you need to check if its got the range if your cassette has a 52 big cog as I'm not sure if SRAM do the NX RD in 52 capacity? or if they had a old lower capacity and newer larger range one as they have on the rest of their 12spd RDs.
Thanks, I'll send it back, dont want any issues!!

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I work nextdoor to a bike shop and they had a GX in stock so I've got one already, I'll send the NX back then 🤣

20220831_085024.jpg

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Seems like the GX range is definitely worth the extra then over the NX range. Not sure how I managed to order the wrong one, I'm usually more careful than that. At least I have the right one now.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
After an initial setup and quick ride in my street I think that's fixed it so cheers lads. All it took was a new mech, mech hanger and gear cable and it seems to have setup perfectly 🤣

I'll get the Wife to setup the B screw again later on when I'm sat on the bike as for now I've had to do it the bike just under its own weight.

On the plus side I now have a could of spare mech hangers and a mech hanger straitening tool in the post so as long as I don't hit the mech hard enough to actually bend it I should be all set for the foreseeable future 🤞🏻

I didn't think I'd ever really notice much of a difference between ropey shifting and smooth shifting but now that it's butter smooth I can definitely feel it.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Thanks for the info on the 12 speed eagle guys. I've had three Levos and a Kenevo, all had 11 speed SRAM. A bent derailleur is common and easy fix for those bikes. I do my own bike work. However, I have a new Levo with the eagle 12 speed and the monster 50 on the rear cassette. It will not hold 6th gear. I've almost given up trying to get it to work correctly. It's been to the shop mulitple times and has never worked since new. I didn't know about adjusting the derailleur at the sag point. Thanks for that valuable info. I'm going to order the tool and try the adjustment at sag. I'm not sure if it is just the low level SRAM components that are on the Comp Levo or not but if I can't fix it I'm going to convert it back to 11 sp like my other bikes. I did change the chain ring from 34 to 36 but I had the shifting problem before that change. Thanks and I'll post back with my results after I try to get this fixed.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I got great news on my 6th gear ghost shifting. Ordered the SRAM Eagle 12 sp guide and the DAG 3.0 Park tool. For some reason the bike shop could not fix this new bike so I pony'd up and bought the correct tools. Never needed them for the 11 sp SRAM but the 12sp is just too finicky. Anyway, the derailer hanger was out horizontally and vertically. The "B" screw was way out. It had to be set at sag like mentioned earlier. I set it at 30% sag and the larger 36 tooth chain ring also effected the b screw setting. Thanks for the help.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I think only way to solve problems with NX mech is change to something else 😀. I have it on my Status and it`s been impossible to get it working properly, from new. Shit mech. I have everything else Shimano on my bikes and this one is last Sram part and I`m now thinking should I go all Shimano or change to GX…

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My Sram rear derailleur has been great for years however it’s an XX1 I bought from wiggle when over 50% off I also run it with XTR shifter & it’s perfect shifting

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
You can set the b-tension on 12spd sram without the tool , just follow the sram setup guide for how to without tool . I recall its a 3mm gap between the pulley wheel & 2nd largest cog (in sag position) . Guides available on the sram website .

More like 12-15mm. Big difference.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
My 12 sp made it about 30 miles of great shifting and then started shifting wildly again. Found the clutch screw loose.

20221003_224102_resized.jpg 20221001_112515_resized.jpg 20220930_192007_resized.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles