Review SR Suntour Durolux36 EQ R2C2 Boost 29" 170mm fork - first ride review.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Product Image:
20220123_104452.jpg

Product name: SR Suntour Durolux36 EQ R2C2 Boost 29" 170mm fork - first ride review.
Price paid: Nowhere near list price.
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: I bought this fork as part of a budget build I wanted to do. The problem for me was that I like to dial in all of my settings, as I ride a variety of trail types - from full on DH, through steep, tech hand cut singletrack, to mellow trail centre blues - and at a variety of different speeds! My fork of choice, until now, has been the Rockshox Lyrik RC2, which has been utterly stellar in 160mm 29er guise, on the front of my Levo SL. Having read reviews of the Suntour Durolux and having access to a brand new fork for close to half list price, I decided to take a punt.

First off, the factory settings are easy enough to find, in the Suntour literature, but don't go expecting anything like the kind of set up support you get from Rockshox, Fox, or Cane Creek, for example. I was somewhat sceptical of the suggestions, as it seems that Suntour expect one set of settings to fit everyone! Regardless, I went with their recommendations, fitted up my ShockWiz, and headed down to the woods. My initial impressions were that I had too much air, not much mind, and ShockWiz backed that up, so I removed 5psi and went again. I chose runs that involved long drops, fast straights, tight turns, and loose, steep, tech. Oh, chucked a bunch of roots in there too, for good measure. The fork just ate it up! Not once did I feel like I was being pitched over the front, I never felt any chatter, but big hits were just absorbed without so much as a flinch. I do think there was a tiny amount more noise, compared to my Lyrik, but the Durolux was working harder, being bolted to the front of an E-Sommet 297, and it is hundreds of pounds cheaper than it's peers.

Long story short, I would be happy to put this fork on any bike I was riding. I'm thinking I might have to see if I can source the 38 version, just to see if it is any better than the 36, but really I am blown away by this fork. I do still need to do a bit more playing around, to see if I can improve on anything, but I have no worries about this fork being able to match the Fox Float X2 Performance Elite shock, controlling the back end. It really is that good! Seriously, if you like your high-end forks but don't want to pay high-end prices, this is the fork for you. It does also come in black, if you can't stomach the grey (and can find the black, though I actually quite like the grey), and there are even a few less tuneable versions that are even cheaper than this R2C2 version.

Buy this fork, you will not be disappointed.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Good review, thanks for posting.

How much and where from?
No worries, thank you. I got mine directly from Moore Large (the UK distributor) but there seems to be few of them available in retail outlets right now. My guess is that the 2022 model isn't far away, so stocks should replenish once they get released. Even at the full retail price of £699, this would be a good fork, buy you can get them for a lot less.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I bought the suntour auron r2c2 160mm for a cheap build on another of my bikes. The auron is their 34mm stanchioned fork.

It was decent and for the money (£200) , very good value, but it wasn't as good performing as the fox or rockshox equivalents. But if you're on a budget , it was a good choice.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Suntour already make suspension products for "other" companies Steve.

Although a viable alternative these forks don't actually represent a bargain compared to some of their more "ahem" premium competition.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Suntour should take a leaf out of the car companies' books and use a different brand name for their premium offering. People that would not buy a Toyoyta were quite happy to buy a Lexus. There are other examples.
I get what you mean, but why should they need to? If someone is too brand conscious to buy one of these forks, that's their loss. SR are getting their forks on some premium bikes now, sponsored riders I mean. I don't think it'll be too long before they're more accepted. That said, I have been known to be wrong!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't understand, what do you mean Gary?
All I meant is they're pretty much the same price as a Lyrik. Whether you work in the industry or you're simply a savy punter who shop's around for the best deals online.

Choice is a good thing though.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I did really uhm and ahh over whether to get a Domain and later upgrade it to a Zeb, but thought I'd try something new. Have to say that, so far, I'm really happy with it. Want to see how it goes come servicing time, as it's purported to be one of the easiest forks around for home mechanics. Will be interesting to see how true that is. Like you said, I think it's great that there are more choices out there now, more properly viable choices. I'll do an addition to this once it's covered some miles...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Servicing any of the current high(er) end cartridge damper air sprung forks is generally pretty straightforward and the inclusion of bleed ports should mean less frequent lower leg services. One downside to.. well most forks other than the two big players really... can be spares availability when something actually needs replacing rather than simply stripped down and serviced. With even seal kits being trickier to track down. Especially with older fork models.

I've ridden lots of Zeb's and although most folk are blown away by it's performance it's quite honestly not a fork i've any interest in owning. Mainly down to it's weight and stiffness... A big stiff plowy fork just doesn't suit my riding style as much as something a little lighter I can set-up nice n poppy. So obviously the Domain interests me even less. But I also believe Emtbs don't actually need anything tougher/heavier than normal enduro/trail components for the vast majority of riders and the riding done on them.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Yeah, I teach suspension mechanics, so have no qualms doing it myself. Even something like a Super-Deluxe can be stripped by a competent person who has the right tools. Only issues are when you need proprietary tooling and/or nitrogen charging.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Zeb. The only reason I was considering such a chunky fork - be it 38, Zeb, Domain, Durolux, or any of the others - is due to the extra heft on the E-Sommet 297, but I have still to actually ride one of these new breed of forks, as I have also been perfectly happy with the Lyrik to date. I even rode a 180mm Lyrik on a couple of Kenevos and never once wanted for the burlier heft of a dual crown fork. Anyhow, I'll be riding this Durolux36 for a good while now, so will see whether or not I think a burlier fork becomes necessary. I suspect, given my age and less rowdy riding these days, that the answer will be no..!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Over the years i feel upgrading a bike is not my top option.
I prefer to upgrade the rider and all bikes are better.
RIDE. More hours in the saddle is my # 1 solution.
I enjoyed some Suntour, Fox, SRAM, Giant
and even a bike with no stickers.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Over the years i feel upgrading a bike is not my top option.
I prefer to upgrade the rider and all bikes are better.
RIDE. More hours in the saddle is my # 1 solution.
I enjoyed some Suntour, Fox, SRAM, Giant
and even a bike with no stickers.
As a mountain bike coach, I couldn't agree more! It staggers me just how many people will spend top dollar on upgrading their bikes, but balk at paying out for a day of coaching!!!

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Good right up.

I think at full price I would spend a little more and get a better brand I got a zeb ultimate with a bit of shopping around for £850

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Yeah, definitely, but I bet you could find these for a lot less if you shop around too (and if there are any available anywhere!). Same as anything though, look at all the options and have a good search for the best prices on all of them, then decide what you want from there. Saying that, I'm now into month 3 on these forks and I'm struggling to justify spending the extra on big names (if I was looking for another fork that is). If and when it comes time for a new fork, Suntour will be up there on my list.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles