• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Squealing front brakes

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi all, for the last few rides I’ve had my front brakes squealing. Tried cleaning pads with sandpaper and brake cleaner and also cleaned the disc. Today I fitted new brake pads B01S resin and front brakes still squealing.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
I'm no expert as I am having a little bit of trouble with my brakes at the moment, check out YouTube, I would link something but my dinner has just turned up, if you can't find anything I'll link something later.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Thanks. I checked you tube first and loosened the calliper pulled brake leaver and tightened calliper bolts to make sure there centre. New pads also fitted. Replaced pads in front and rear but it’s just the front that’s sqealing.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bedding in disc brakes is a process that enables a sacrificial layer of the pad to be deposited onto the rotor. It is then the interaction of the pad with that layer that produces the friction required to slow the bike. Organic/resin pads are easier to bed in than sintered but wear more quickly and also get hot more quickly. Regardless, the bedding in process is the same. You need to start with a clean rotor, especially if you are changing from one compound of brake pad to another. A clean rotor if you are using a different compound pad than previously, is one with no brake pad sacrificial layer on it and that is achieved using wire wool or wet and dry, then brake cleaner/IPA.
To achieve the transfer of the sacrificial layer you need to apply the brakes several times quite hard but only for a brief period each time. The idea is to avoid the rotor or pad heating up since that will destroy the process. So just riding along the level and braking quite sharply and then releasing is the best method.....repeated several times. You should be able to tell how the process is progressing by how much the braking improves. It should not take long with resin pads to complete the process and resin pads grab hard even when cold so it should be easy to determine when you have done enough. The one thing to avoid is lengthy dragging of the brake. That will just produce heat and negate the process.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Bedding in disc brakes is a process that enables a sacrificial layer of the pad to be deposited onto the rotor. It is then the interaction of the pad with that layer that produces the friction required to slow the bike. Organic/resin pads are easier to bed in than sintered but wear more quickly and also get hot more quickly. Regardless, the bedding in process is the same. You need to start with a clean rotor, especially if you are changing from one compound of brake pad to another. A clean rotor if you are using a different compound pad than previously, is one with no brake pad sacrificial layer on it and that is achieved using wire wool or wet and dry, then brake cleaner/IPA.
To achieve the transfer of the sacrificial layer you need to apply the brakes several times quite hard but only for a brief period each time. The idea is to avoid the rotor or pad heating up since that will destroy the process. So just riding along the level and braking quite sharply and then releasing is the best method.....repeated several times. You should be able to tell how the process is progressing by how much the braking improves. It should not take long with resin pads to complete the process and resin pads grab hard even when cold so it should be easy to determine when you have done enough. The one thing to avoid is lengthy dragging of the brake. That will just produce heat and negate the process.
Thanks for taking the time to let me know how and why the need to bed in new pads. I had resin pads and the new ones are also resin. I’ll be out tomorrow to follow the bedding in procedure.

Thanks again all ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles