Spray Lube - What do you use?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
After cleaning my bike and lubing the chain I tend to spray some WD40 over the bearings to disperse any lingering water, but then I tend to use GT85 (which isn't the best of Lubes) so what are you guys using?
Spray lube, as the Heckler has is proper fiddly to get to the bearing area.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
OK, that's good, I'm doing the same.
do you not spray the moving parts with anything?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
There is a grease nipple on the lower link mate, squirt loads of grease into it and you will see it squeeze out past the bearings. Considering the age of your bike, I’d say they are shagged by now and need replacing anyways….

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Has WD40 changed its formulation in recent times?
I ask because I was always told that WD40 was the work of the Devil as far as bikes were concerned. It penetrates seals and breaks down grease and oil, neither of which you want to happen anywhere near your suspension or your bearings.

The only spray lube I would use is Weldtite's TF2 Ultimate spray lube with Teflon. Make sure that you get the one with the smart head nozzle for a controlled spray. You will be able to get right into the mech without risk of getting overspray onto the disc. It is water resistant as well.

Edit: By the way, the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. Allegedly, it was to displace the morning dew off the space rockets before launch as the dew weighed too much! Thirty-nine formulations were tried before they found that number 40 worked, hence WD-40. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
There is a grease nipple on the lower link mate, squirt loads of grease into it and you will see it squeeze out past the bearings. Considering the age of your bike, I’d say they are shagged by now and need replacing anyways….
Only in the bottom one.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I ask because I was always told that WD40 was the work of the Devil as far as bikes were concerned. It penetrates seals and breaks down grease and oil, neither of which you want to happen anywhere near your suspension or your bearings.

The only spray lube I would use is Weldtite's TF2 Ultimate spray lube with Teflon. Make sure that you get the one with the smart head nozzle for a controlled spray. You will be able to get right into the mech without risk of getting overspray onto the disc. It is water resistant as well.
Only use WD40 as a water dispersant, not on anything else, but not thought about it getting in the seals Hmmmmm

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Top link is easy to remove and clean the bearings and re grease them (or just replace them every 12 months or
So).
How about a squirt of MO94 which is a barrier spray and lube.?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland

Edit: By the way, the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. Allegedly, it was to displace the morning dew off the space rockets before launch as the dew weighed too much! Thirty-nine formulations were tried before they found that number 40 worked, hence WD-40. :ROFLMAO:
FYI and anybody reading this thread,
TF2 was my “go to” spray lube until it seem to disappear from the shelves.
Wilko lubricant with Teflon actually manf by Weldtite and is rebranded TF2…..

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I only ever use WD40 as a penetrating oil and do not use it for anything bike related. Yes it a mix of lubricating oils but also contains degreasers and water displacers so is not the kind of lubricant that will adhere to metal surfaces. I would not use it near any electrical connection. Electrical contact cleaner is the right stuff for cleaning and protecting them. The only spray I use is Silicone Shine on the frame and wheels after cleaning to provide some protection and make cleaning far easier as it helps to stop mud etc adhering and staining.

As far as lubes are concerned I only use Mucoff wet during the winter and a mix of mucoff wet and mucoff dry in the summer.
My routine after cleaning with a damp cloth is to use a stiff brush to clean out pivots, then use mucoff wet on the seat post ( extended), shock shaft, fork stancions, mech pivots and bike pivot points. I use degreaser on the chain then mucoff wet ( in the summer, then mucoff dry). I then depress the shock and fork and dropper ( and release) and clean off the dirt that raises from the seals plus any excess oil. Similarly clean around all the other areas I oiled............and wipe the chain until no ore oil appears on the rag. Finally cover the callipers and discs in shop towel and use Silicone Shine all over the bike.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
MO94 to the chain after wash before lubing it and I use it also to protect the pivot bearings and rear mech from mud and water. Silicone spray to suspension/seatpost.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
The only place I'd use WD40 would be in exposed electrical connections to displace water and provide a bit of protection. Not sure I'd trust it around bearings. At best it's doing nothing, worst it's getting in and breaking down the grease.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I only ever use WD40 as a penetrating oil and do not use it for anything bike related. Yes it a mix of lubricating oils but also contains degreasers and water displacers so is not the kind of lubricant that will adhere to metal surfaces. I would not use it near any electrical connection. Electrical contact cleaner is the right stuff for cleaning and protecting them. The only spray I use is Silicone Shine on the frame and wheels after cleaning to provide some protection and make cleaning far easier as it helps to stop mud etc adhering and staining.

As far as lubes are concerned I only use Mucoff wet during the winter and a mix of mucoff wet and mucoff dry in the summer.
My routine after cleaning with a damp cloth is to use a stiff brush to clean out pivots, then use mucoff wet on the seat post ( extended), shock shaft, fork stancions, mech pivots and bike pivot points. I use degreaser on the chain then mucoff wet ( in the summer, then mucoff dry). I then depress the shock and fork and dropper ( and release) and clean off the dirt that raises from the seals plus any excess oil. Similarly clean around all the other areas I oiled............and wipe the chain until no ore oil appears on the rag. Finally cover the callipers and discs in shop towel and use Silicone Shine all over the bike.
Apart from the Silicone Shine, which I don't use as frequently as you, that is pretty much the same as my cleaning routine.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Maxima spray wax.jpeg

has worked fine for years on motos and bicycles

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
FYI and anybody reading this thread,
TF2 was my “go to” spray lube until it seem to disappear from the shelves.
Wilko lubricant with Teflon actually manf by Weldtite and is rebranded TF2…..
I wonder if it was a batch of faulty spray nozzles? I had problems with two cans. They each had a red plastic straw that you were supposed to stick into the aerosol nozzle to focus the jet. What a mess! It worked but also must have caused some back pressure because it also came out of the base of the aerosol nozzle and leaked all over the place. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me two replacements. They had the same problem. Next thing I see is the latest design with a totally new spray head. It works perfectly! :)

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
How many cans did they get through :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles