Spectral:on 7 _ w/o motor

Tekrollin

Sep 13, 2019
Germany
Hey guys, i am about to buy a sp on 7. I drove mtb hardtails for many years, this would be my first ebike.

Would it be possible to drive it without motor support on roads and light hills <10%?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yes. no problem. so long as you're fairly fit. the gearing is easily low enough for climbing while switched off and the shimano motor has no drag.
lighter lower rolling resistance tyres help loads riding heavy E bikes while the motor is switched off.
most of the drag people complain about is simply rolling resistance as most Eebs come with large heavy soft compound aggressively treaded tyres

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Would it be possible to drive it without motor support on roads and light hills

Even with DHRII/DHF it's possible, though there's about 10% more rolling resistance at speed than less aggressive tyres. I could generally push on to about 36kph on the flats with no motor (and I'm no power house like Gary) and would regularly ride with the motor off when out with the OH on horseback when the horse was just in "Walk mode".

Whatever your reason is, keep in mind that an e-bike is a bit like sex, and it's generally more fun with assistance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Even with DHRII/DHF it's possible
rubber compound makes way more difference to rolling resistance than most folk seem to think

I'm riding a DHF up front commuting 10 miles each way to work at the moment and unassisted hit 40mph+ most mornings. (Tucking on a half mile long road descent into Embracity centre)
it's an exo dual compound 2.5 DHF run at around 50psi and the rear is an exo dual compound minion SS at a similar pressure.

I ride mine switched off a fair bit. depending on where I am, how much of a hurry I'm in and who I'm with.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If you mean 10% on a downhill, yes its ok to pedal with motor off. But on any grade uphill it becomes very unpleasant to try pushing it without assistance.
Suspension tuning is the crucial point. The best part of ebiking is that the climbs become just as fun as the descents and suspension can be tuned with much less compromise, so that it does not justify having a climbing efficient tune.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
But on any grade uphill it becomes very unpleasant to try pushing it without assistance.
it's no different to riding any 50lb bike. simply use lower gears to ease your unpleasantness. and as I already explained, less draggy tyres.

Suspension tuning is the crucial point. The best part of ebiking is that the climbs become just as fun as the descents and suspension can be tuned with much less compromise, so that it does not justify having a climbing efficient tune.
What?
Who tunes a shock for climbing performance on any mtb?
:unsure:
Pedalling performance should come from well designed suspension kinematics and supportive suspension rather than a specific climbing tune and the Spectral is already decent in this respect

Tekrollin

Sep 13, 2019
Germany
I could test drive a spectral_on model today. I started biking without motor and switched it on and off mid-driving. It is absolutely possible to drive without support and its a fine bike!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I can only agree that in this world where nobody tunes their suspension for the climbs and lots of people are riding around on 55 pounds 6 inch suspension bikes, buying an ebike with the intention of riding it without power makes total sense. ?

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
Yesterday I did a group enduro ride with about ten local riders with normal enduro bikes. I was the only one with ebike I thought that I will start by riding as long as I could without assistant. To my surprise I ended up riding the whole 34km / 3 hour ride without assistance at all.

Yes the bike is almost 10 kilos heavier than regular ones, but mostly drag comes from tyres. Gearing is less than ideal to ride steep uphills (in my bike 34/46), but still I managed to pedal also all the uphills like rest of the group (even though after two hours it became a bit of an challenge;)

Spectral:ON has also excellent rear suspension when it comes to pedaling. Earlier I had normal Mondraker Dune enduro bike and it had much more pedal bob than Spectral:ON has. Rear suspension of Spectral:ON isn't plush as it was in Dune, but I am personally really liking the good mid stroke support of it - it keeps the heavy bike playfull and nimble.

Maybe next time I will leave the battery at home and my bike is only 7 kg heavier than rest of the group.. ;) So it is perfectly doable to ride without assistance with this bike sometimes, but of course it is 10 kg hevier and rolling resistance from beefy tyres is also there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
on any grade uphill it becomes very unpleasant to try pushing it without assistance.
no it doesn't!
You have a wide range of gears. simply use them appropriately.
it'll be a lot slower. mainly because of the weight. but massively so if you chose to run super soft DH casing tyres.

Suspension tuning is the crucial point.
no it's not. suspension tuning is ALWAYS a compromise. Even in DH racing where there are no climbs at all.

The best part of ebiking is that the climbs become just as fun as the descents
Seriously? the BEST thing?
I think you're doing it wrong TBH
and suspension can be tuned with much less compromise, so that it does not justify having a climbing efficient tune.
No it can't

I don't think you understand how a suspension damper actually works

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles