Specialized Warranty Expired - battery failure, what are my options?

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
My 2019 Levo expert warranty has just expired, so naturally I’ve just had a battery failure (third green LED flashing when charging, bike completely unresponsive), so I’m guessing I will need to purchase a new battery. The battery was replaced under warranty over two years ago, but has failed again.

Are there any other options? Does anyone repair these? Usually any repairs are conveniently priced approx half the replacement cost, just shy of what you’d say sod it just buy new with warranty!

Had anyone had any luck with warranty past the stated period? Is it worth me loosing a day to a round trip to give it a try?

Any advice or similar experience appreciated

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
See the Discount Structure section here if that would be helpful.

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
See the Discount Structure section here if that would be helpful.
That is helpful thank you - there maybe hope of a discounted replacement then, that would certainly be appreciated

cream

Dec 6, 2021
Romania
Specialized batteries CAN be repaired. Most M2 batteries with 3rd led blinking when charging have good cells inside and a locked BMS. Assuming the cells are good, I can unlock/repair the BMS so the battery can be used again.

There are parts of the circuit inside that work on very low currents so any moisture inside can prevent the BMS from functioning properly. The firmware will then prevent the battery from being used, setting a PF flag (permanent failure).

I've spent quite a while reverse engineering Specialized battery management systems present on M1 or M2 models.

Also, BMS can be completely separated from the battery in case you want a cell replacement. Then, it can be connected back. I can also reset battery metrics in this case (battery health, cycle count, design capacity).

BansEN77

Apr 16, 2024
Warsaw, Poland
Specialized batteries CAN be repaired. Most M2 batteries with 3rd led blinking when charging have good cells inside and a locked BMS. Assuming the cells are good, I can unlock/repair the BMS so the battery can be used again.

There are parts of the circuit inside that work on very low currents so any moisture inside can prevent the BMS from functioning properly. The firmware will then prevent the battery from being used, setting a PF flag (permanent failure).

I've spent quite a while reverse engineering Specialized battery management systems present on M1 or M2 models.

Also, BMS can be completely separated from the battery in case you want a cell replacement. Then, it can be connected back. I can also reset battery metrics in this case (battery health, cycle count, design capacity).
Can you help me with resolving my gen1 504WH battery issue? The BMS is now blinking with 3 red lights.
Some water entered the battery- couple of LEDs were permanently lighting in red. I've opened the battery, demoisted it, cleaned the LEDs contacts with isopropyl alcohol (successfully) but now the BMS issue. I am ready to pay, even for remote assistance ;-)

cream

Dec 6, 2021
Romania
Just cleaning the LED board shouldn't trigger any error on the BMS. Maybe you accidentally touched something on the BMS board. Have you checked all cell banks if they have nominal levels(3-4.15V) and balanced (approx same voltage down to 10-50mV on each bank)? Are there any water signs/oxidation on the BMS board? I can help with BMS repair/unlock but make sure the cells are ok, otherwise the only solution is to replace all the banks. Also, I will need physical access to the battery.

BansEN77

Apr 16, 2024
Warsaw, Poland
The banks are at 3,92V. All of them. Couple of the screws have oxidation, but nothing visible on the PCB itself. I can provide you with videos of the battery inspection. I do not see sending the whole battery back and forth between Poland/Romania as a reasonable solution. I believe being guided by you I can perform the necessary steps myself.
Please find attached my direct contact details.

email_address.jpg

cream

Dec 6, 2021
Romania
The 3 LED red error can appear on different faults. Some faults will permanently disable access to the battery pack(charge/discharge), some won't. First, I would check the 2 NTC sensors near the VG terminal and monitoring channels of the BMS. This includes connections/circuirtry from the balancing tabs to the inputs of the AFE (panasonic AN49511A). Also, check SFC fuses for continuity. If they are blown, most likely the BMS entered protection mode (permanent failure). In this case, even if you replace them, the battery won't recover.

Of course, if you have access to diagnostic equipment (or somenone near you), make a report to see why/when the error was triggered and what the error is. Check to see if the diagnostic software correctly show the correct voltage levels on each cell bank.If the BMS entered "Permanent Failure" state, it needs to be unlocked. That, you can't do with dealer diagnostic tools. Or remote.

Other than that, I can't give a clear solution without knowing the exact problem. That can be done by physical access to the battery.

Good luck!
M1_BMS.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles