Specialized turbo levo comp 2020 - Garmin edgen 830

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
Hi, hope some of you can help me.

I have a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2020. When i trie to connect my Garmin Edge 830 to the bike i only find 2 out of 3 sensors.
These three sensors should be available:
1. Speed sensor
2. Cadence sensor
3. Ebike sensor

My computer connects to the Levo and find both "Speed sensor" and "Cadence sensor", but it can´t find the "Ebike sensor". Has anyone else experienced the same problem, or mabye some of you can give me an advice what to do.

Can add to information that the "Ebike sensor" is responsible to transfer information about battery percentage to the Garmin computer. I know this because i have another 2020 comp where everything works fine.

I have tried to reset my Edge 830 to factory settings, but it didn´t help.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I think that might be the Battery Percentage etc. You need to set up the fake channel in the mission control app. As to what to set this to. The best app for this to be honest is a BLevo. I didn’t find Garmin great out of the box for eBike..but it’s a phone app. I’ll be honest a phone is far better than a Garmin if you want functionality. You can get an iPhone 5S on eBay for £50 now, less than a Garmin and house it in a waterproof casing.

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
SOLVED: I have tried the Ebike Field, but it didn´t help. I contacted Garmin, and they told me to reset the Edge 830 and then connect it to my computer to update it trough Garmin Express. Now it works! The edge finally found "ebike" and i can see the battery status on the cycling computer.

So the error was therefore with Garmin and not with Specialized.

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
In the meanwhile I did some test with my Levo SL mit Range Extender (may it has an impact)

• Last week, when I got my Levo SL, I did connect my Garmin Edge 1030 and the device found all the three sensors. (Range Extender was connected)
  • I did my first two rides without the Range Extender and I was not able to get my Edge connected with the E-Bike Sensor.
  • After that I did read here, that @Sonve has the same problem.
  • I was trying a cupple time at home to connect the three sensors. E-Bike Sensor did not connect.
  • Then yesterday I did remeber, that my Levo was connected with the Range Extender during the setup. I did connect the range extender and bingo...I had the E-Bike Sensor also connected. But after a cupple more test, I did not connect againg (with and without RE)
  • Comming back to the Garmin Reset: I have also an Garmin Forerunner 945 and an old 735XT and both devices are not recognizing the E-Bike Sensor. The other two sensors are not a problem.
  • So I was yesterday in my shop and did buy the TCD. It connects all three sensors without a problem.
  • This morning was was trying without the RE. No E-Bike Sensor Connection
  • With the RE I got a Connection, but just once.
I cannot nail down, where exactly the problem is. But I am sure, the reset of the Garmin Edge does not solve the problem.

If somebody form Specialized is reading this thread, and need some more information, I can provide it.

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
So I did some more tests and I am almost sure that it depends on the sequence of starting the devices.

Works:
  1. Start the Garmin Edge up and wait until the device ist up an running and starting to search Sensor.
  2. Then power on your Levo SL and wait for about 15 Sec.
  3. All three Sensors will be connected
If you power on the Levo SL and then the Garmin or both at the same time, it doesn't connect. @Vin829 could you verify that?

I think the issue with the Range Extender was, that I was booting up the Garmin, in the same time I did install the Range Extender and powered the Levo later up.

I don't know, if Garmin Watches scan the e-bike Sensor. I was not able in any way to find the E-Bike Sensor, but it not important for me.

Last edited:

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
Hi @crazymelki, thank you for adding to the the thread.

(and sorry for the late response.)

I have now been riding 9 days one the bike and it connect to all the sensors every time.

I think one of the problems might be that i first connected the Garmin edge 830 to my wife´s bike before connecting to mine (to many sensors). After i did the factory reset the Edge 830 i only connected it to my bike and my heart rate strap, and as mentioned there have been no problems after this.

About the factory reset; have you tried connecting it to your computer trough "Garmin Express"? For me it didn´t help just resetting it on the device and connecting it to my phone.

Last edited:

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
@Sonve with too many sensors could also be really a problem. I have also an other bike and two heardrate monitors. Let me clean up them...Good point.

But I had also no problem my last 3 rides starting first the Garmin Edge, waiting until fully started and searching sensors and then finally power on the Levo SL.

zerod10

Jul 1, 2020
Italy
Any update regarding this problem? I have the same issue, turning on the garmin before the bike not working for me...

zerod10

Jul 1, 2020
Italy
I’ve already installed “Ebike field” but I have several issue with the default Ebike function of the garmin, did not keep the connection with Ebike sensor.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I’ve already installed “Ebike field” but I have several issue with the default Ebike function of the garmin, did not keep the connection with Ebike sensor.

Mine doesn't either, sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't. Its a lottery. Did the whole reset/Garmin express bit/ebike field first etc to no avail. Multiple firmware revisions on both the bike and the Garmin, even Garmin tech support have no idea what the problem is and they have access to the log data.

The speed sensor in the Garmin for the bike doesn't work properly either. I ended up having to use the bundled hub speed sensor that came with the Garmin and disabling the Levo 'sensor' in the Garmin settings.

Maybe its the bike, maybe its the Garmin who knows but I've given on battery percentage and assistance level recording in the Garmin.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I‘m using Levo as power sensor and Jan Capek‘s ebike IQ field for battery and assistance whithout problems. For speed I use the Garmin hub sensor, because the circumference on my Levo is set to 200 cm.

Please make sure: you must not use the Garmin ebike sensor when using the IQ-ebikefield. They do not work together!

zerod10

Jul 1, 2020
Italy
The cadence sensor work well, the speed/power sensor does not work properly...
I’ve tried to delete Ebike sensor to add it again but now the garmin did not find the Ebike...
honestly not one of the better user experience...

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
I have another weird issue. Levo 2019, Garmin 1030 see all 3 sensors, for eBike sensor I get battery% correct, but travel range is always shown as 0.62 miles. Anybody have same problem ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Travel Range? Do you mean distance travelled? Is the bike hacked at all?

Although it sees all sensors not all of them transmit correctly in my experience.

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Travel Range? Do you mean distance travelled? Is the bike hacked at all?

Although it sees all sensors not all of them transmit correctly in my experience.
No, not distance traveled, but range which bike estimate you will go on this battery charge level. Actually good that you asked, I went to Mission Control app and seems it is not there as well, looks like Spec doesn’t expose this, which is weird. I have another ebike and 2 electric cars and all of them report both battery percentage level and remaining estimated range

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Sounds like a TCU error or a sensor error in the battery as Mission Control should give you range remaining. It's wildly inaccurate though as it doesn't take into account so many factors.

You'll get to know your range. Your best indicator is the distance travelled and total height gained, all of which are data fields on your Garmin. I would change your Garmin to report GPS distance travelled and speed if you have hacked your bike :)

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Sounds like a TCU error or a sensor error in the battery as Mission Control should give you range remaining. It's wildly inaccurate though as it doesn't take into account so many factors.

You'll get to know your range. Your best indicator is the distance travelled and total height gained, all of which are data fields on your Garmin. I would change your Garmin to report GPS distance travelled and speed if you have hacked your bike :)
I didn’t hack bike, everything is stock. My mission control looks like this, there is no field for range
5B528D01-E00B-4B35-B59B-18F47C28085D.png

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I didn’t hack bike, everything is stock. My mission control looks like this, there is no field for range
View attachment 39647

Specialized Mission Control does not, nor has it ever, provided for an estimated range display. If you are seeing a field for estimated range then you are most likely using the optional "Ebike" data screen that is part of the Garmin 530/830/1030"s software to be used with Shimano STEPS e7000/e8000 systems and is incompatible with other brands of motors. As has been stated several times in this thread, in order to display battery percentage and assistance in the Garmin Edge device you first must connect your device to the internet using Garmin's Connect IQ app and download/install either the Specialized Turbo Levo Data Field app, which has mixed reviews (mostly negative) or Jan Capek's Ebike Field app that has been quite usable when set up properly in the Garmin Edge device. This will allow you to connect to the 3 sensors listed for Specialized Levos.

IMHO from reading the several threads about this, I believe where 90% of those having problems go wrong is by using optional "Ebike" data screen when setting up the data display screens (shown on page 17 of my Garmin Edge 830 user manual...page number could vary with model and language). As stated under "USING AN EBIKE" this is for compatible ebikes such as a Shimano STEPS, which I believe is the only compatible system with that data screen at this time. To use one of the two data field apps mentioned above you simply select the downloaded "Ebike" data field when "Editing a Data Field" per instructions on page 20 (again, my manual). This will show both battery level and assistance level as a single data field, in the field you are editing.

Hope this helps....

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Specialized Mission Control does not, nor has it ever, provided for an estimated range display. If you are seeing a field for estimated range then you are most likely using the optional "Ebike" data screen that is part of the Garmin 530/830/1030"s software to be used with Shimano STEPS e7000/e8000 systems and is incompatible with other brands of motors. As has been stated several times in this thread, in order to display battery percentage and assistance in the Garmin Edge device you first must connect your device to the internet using Garmin's Connect IQ app and download/install either the Specialized Turbo Levo Data Field app, which has mixed reviews (mostly negative) or Jan Capek's Ebike Field app that has been quite usable when set up properly in the Garmin Edge device. This will allow you to connect to the 3 sensors listed for Specialized Levos.

IMHO from reading the several threads about this, I believe where 90% of those having problems go wrong is by using optional "Ebike" data screen when setting up the data display screens (shown on page 17 of my Garmin Edge 830 user manual...page number could vary with model and language). As stated under "USING AN EBIKE" this is for compatible ebikes such as a Shimano STEPS, which I believe is the only compatible system with that data screen at this time. To use one of the two data field apps mentioned above you simply select the downloaded "Ebike" data field when "Editing a Data Field" per instructions on page 20 (again, my manual). This will show both battery level and assistance level as a single data field, in the field you are editing.

Hope this helps....
I know about ebike data field, but your statement is not true about Garmin ebike sensor field. It works not only with Shimano motors, it works perfectly with my other (not Shimano) bike and display both range and battery percentage. For Levo I get accurate battery percentage as well, but not range. I don’t need assistance level on Garmin, as it is visible on bike itself, so ebike data field is not that useful for me. Ebike transmit this data via ANT+ LEV profile and I thought that it is standardized, but seems it is not the case and various manufacturers transmit different sets of data via that protocol

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I know about ebike data field, but your statement is not true about Garmin ebike sensor field. It works not only with Shimano motors, it works perfectly with my other (not Shimano) bike and display both range and battery percentage. For Levo I get accurate battery percentage as well, but not range. I don’t need assistance level on Garmin, as it is visible on bike itself, so ebike data field is not that useful for me. Ebike transmit this data via ANT+ LEV profile and I thought that it is standardized, but seems it is not the case and various manufacturers transmit different sets of data via that protocol

Interesting to hear that it is compatible with other systems. Would be interested in hear which systems. It seams that updates at both both Garmin and motor manufacturers continue to expand capabilities and connectivity...but bottom line right now is Garmin's Ebike data screen is not fully compatible with the Turbo Levo. As for the range feature, Specialized would have to add that data feature into their software and make it reportable via ANT+ before it could be accessed by the Garmin. Who knows, maybe there will be a future update to provide that but I wouldn't hold my breath since Specialized is more of a proprietary type of manufacturer when it comes to their systems. Or Someone develops an IQ app that uses the Levo's reported battery percentage, cadence, speed and assistance level over a set period to provide a "best guess" which is also possible I guess.

Last edited:

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Interesting to hear that it is compatible with other systems. Would be interested in hear which systems. It seams that updates at both both Garmin and motor manufacturers continue to expand capabilities and connectivity...but bottom line right now is Garmin's Ebike data screen is not fully compatible with the Turbo Levo. As for the range feature, Specialized would have to add that data feature into their software and make it reportable via ANT+ before it could be accessed by the Garmin. Who knows, maybe there will be a future update to provide that but I wouldn't hold my breath since Specialized is more of a proprietary type of manufacturer when it comes to their systems.
X35 system bikes (Pinarello, Orbea, Willier, Bianchi) are compatible with both Garmin ebike and Jan ebike data field. Actually his description was originally only Spec supported, I have tested with X35 and chatted with him and he updated description, you can check now there is much more bikes than Levo and Kenevo

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
X35 system bikes (Pinarello, Orbea, Willier, Bianchi) are compatible with both Garmin ebike and Jan ebike data field. Actually his description was originally only Spec supported, I have tested with X35 and chatted with him and he updated description, you can check now there is much more bikes than Levo and Kenevo
Right-On...getting better all the time!

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Right-On...getting better all the time!
And actually as I see range is not available in Mission Control, I would disagree that Garmin ebike data field is not fully compatible with Levo, as I get both battery charge and assistance levels there, so basically it is what Levo sends, nothing more :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles