SoCal riders, assemble

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
dang al - i thought it was a good idea. i'm up in the bay area, but i wonder why the crickets? not everybody here is from the uk... i think?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Anyone want to get a massive group ride together and flood Santiago Oaks with emtbs?

Yeah... about that idea - not sure you're aware but unless something changed very recently, all E-Bikes are banned on any unpaved trail located in any recreational area managed by OCParks - which include Irvine Lake, Santiago Oaks, Aliso & Woods, etc.

From their website:
"Due to safety concerns, all classes of eBikes continue to be prohibited on unpaved trails within regional and wilderness parks where there is reduced long-distance visibility and/or width to accommodate trail users who need to veer out of the path of another user traveling at a high rate of speed."

The rangers actually enforce the ban, and they actually hand out citations frequently. So "flooding Santiago Oaks with emts" might actually just make it worse for us while they still have the ban.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Yeah... about that idea - not sure you're aware but unless something changed very recently, all E-Bikes are banned on any unpaved trail located in any recreational area managed by OCParks - which include Irvine Lake, Santiago Oaks, Aliso & Woods, etc.

From their website:
"Due to safety concerns, all classes of eBikes continue to be prohibited on unpaved trails within regional and wilderness parks where there is reduced long-distance visibility and/or width to accommodate trail users who need to veer out of the path of another user traveling at a high rate of speed."

The rangers actually enforce the ban, and they actually hand out citations frequently. So "flooding Santiago Oaks with emts" might actually just make it worse for us while they still have the ban.

Looks like any old excuse will do to ban them, I bet if they were limited to 10kph they would find another obscure reason!

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Looks like any old excuse will do to ban them, I bet if they were limited to 10kph they would find another obscure reason!

Yeah... it’s an ongoing back and forth between the local shops and OCParks. Their blanket ban is pretty ignorant, IMO. I love riding those trails on my non-emtb. But the point I was trying to make is that maybe next time know the rules of the area before calling a gathering of emtb’s anywhere, since acceptance of emtb’s is still an ongoing process.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California

From their website:

Well aware of the ban. It was a joke

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
...sure... lol
No really
E491F4F3-917A-4D08-8D17-9920D41A5235.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles