Northern California riders

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
Murphys is great. Are you full time or part time? I am part time in Arnold. This weekend there is a mountain bike race in La Grange, Lake McClure, Exchequer Bike Park. In the summer it's very hot there. June, July and August. It's the best in Bear Valley.
Yeah Part time. I will have to check out that bike park. We will be on Melones lake all summer, so maybe an early ride or head to BV in the afternoons it sounds like.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Yeah Part time. I will have to check out that bike park. We will be on Melones lake all summer, so maybe an early ride or head to BV in the afternoons it sounds like.
Yes, there were days last summer when Melones was 100 degrees by 10am and Bear Valley was 75 degrees. I ride with another ebiker that is part time in Arnold. Maybe we can ride together this summer. I will be racing this weekend in La Grange.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
Looking for some folks to ride ebikes here in Nevada city area. Realy like some of the flow style trails like Hoot, Scotts drop, independence, miners and the whole slew of trails that criss cross up on banner around NC. With ebikes starting and the ending at three forks for good cold one is more enticing than when i was looking to shuttle high to low. I am an fairly aggressive ( @65 Ican handle most anything but i am not clearing any gaps just yet) and looking for like minded and bodied trail mates.

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
I'm in San Jose. Just bought a 2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude PP C90. Can't wait for Wed and my kid goes back to school and I can take it over to Calero for a few laps.

Zymurgist

Aug 19, 2022
San Jose, CA
I'm in San Jose. Just bought a 2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude PP C90. Can't wait for Wed and my kid goes back to school and I can take it over to Calero for a few laps.
My wife and I love Calero. We explore other trails in the area and just keep coming back to Calero because it has it all!

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
My wife and I love Calero. We explore other trails in the area and just keep coming back to Calero because it has it all!
Hiya! Last Monday I tried to ride up to Mount Uhmunum but found out it was a Mid Pen system. Spent two hours tooling around Almaden Quicksilver just exploring instead. I can't wait for fall/winter because that place got hot!

Bam104

Jul 2, 2022
Livermore ca
Hello all,
Just a newbie looking for guys /gals to ride with
live in Livermore
Ride- 2022 Trek rail 9.8 xt.
paces I like to ride-china camp,tamarancho,Arroyo-del valle (Livermore),Pleasanton ridge, brushy peak.

no problem traveling for good riding

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
Went out to Santa Teresa County Park yesterday for an hour or so. Bike handled like a champ on the steep climbs and was a blast plowing down over the rocky sections.

DC02BD43-1800-4331-8A28-4BC4F49535E4.jpeg

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
Calero was still nice. Trails are hard pack with loose over it. I went on an adventure and explored to the top of Bald Peak trail. The climb is a bit of a grind but once you turn around the downhill. 2 ¹/⁵ miles of twisty single track with little roots and rocks you can pop off of. I'm going to try it at least once more before the heat really kicks in.
20230605_130954-5.jpg

photo_20230605_150601.jpg
photo_20230605_150347.jpg
Screenshot_20230606_050840_Strava.jpg

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Calero was still nice. Trails are hard pack with loose over it. I went on an adventure and explored to the top of Bald Peak trail. The climb is a bit of a grind but once you turn around the downhill. 2 ¹/⁵ miles of twisty single track with little roots and rocks you can pop off of. I'm going to try it at least once more before the heat really kicks in. View attachment 117106
View attachment 117103 View attachment 117104 View attachment 117105
You should try John Nicholas Trail from Black Road. At the top you can make a right and ride the Skyline Trail to Castle Rock, as shown below or you can keep going all the way to the corner of Hwy 9 & 35.
JN to Castle Rock.jpg

Last edited:

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
You should try John Nicholas Trail from Black Road. At the top you can make a right and ride the Skyline Trail to Castle Rock, as shown below or you can keep going all the way to the corner of Hwy 9 & 35.
Hi. Yep. I've been on JNT for years now, only on my regular bike. Usually I would ride up to the top and then turn around and head back down or park at the top and do Skyline. It depends on how much time I had. I wish Gap and the surrounding trails were County so they'd be E legal. Gap was always fun too.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Some neat looking trails there. We drive over to Santa Cruz mostly to escape the valley heat. Closest trails are Exchequer MTB park, and that is too hot for me this time of year.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Anyone have suggestions for emtb rides in the Chico/Redding area? I regular ride in Chico but wish to branch out from there. It seems like most of the trails in Redding are not open to emtb.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Anyone have suggestions for emtb rides in the Chico/Redding area? I regular ride in Chico but wish to branch out from there. It seems like most of the trails in Redding are not open to emtb.
Isn't there a huge area across Shasta Dam? I used to live up there, but 25 years ago. Been meaning to go back.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Isn't there a huge area across Shasta Dam? I used to live up there, but 25 years ago. Been meaning to go back.
Are you talking about these trails? They are the only ones I can find that allow ebikes.. and it looks like that's only because they are ATV type trails but I've never been up there so I wouldn't know.

Map

Trails

On the other hand, the main area I think which is known for mtb, Swasey, does not allow ebikes.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Are you talking about these trails? They are the only ones I can find that allow ebikes.. and it looks like that's only because they are ATV type trails but I've never been up there so I wouldn't know.

Map

Trails

On the other hand, the main area I think which is known for mtb, Swasey, does not allow ebikes.
Not sure. I haven't been back since I moved away. Just saw Redding Chamber of Commerce at Sea Otter touting the MTB action. No E is a USFS thing. Until they change their stance, the signs will remain.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
w Redding Chamber of Commerce at Sea Otter touting the MTB action. No E is a USFS thing. Until they change their stance, the signs will remain.
Actually all these areas are BLM, and their stance is basically that the local BLM manager decides. I called up the local office and they said they are considering it but have not made a decision yet.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Actually all these areas are BLM, and their stance is basically that the local BLM manager decides. I called up the local office and they said they are considering it but have not made a decision yet.
Typical Govt. Class 1 E bikes make us older guys capable, like a young fit rider, nothing more... Europe is miles ahead, sadly.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Hey JStrube, do you ride at Red Hills or Hogan Lake? Both are E friendly and really fun.
Haven't heard of either one until now! Thanks for the tip! When it cools down a bit, those look fantastic, still a drive like everything else, since I'm in the valley. I heard New Melones had some riding too, and our last trip up to Arnold is what convinced us we were ready for the E train.

Exchequer is closest, but for my wife and I, hot now, a bit rocky, and I'm not a snake fan... I should give it a chance again in winter, now that we have gone E. She is more into fire roads, me, smoother single track. We usually find a balance.

2-1/2H away is Wilder Ranch in SC, so that has been our summer jam, get out of the heat, get some riding in, catch a dinner or late lunch at Mentone in Aptos.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
:( I was hoping to run into someone saying 'hey I ride ebikes at all these places without hassle.'
If I lived up there, I'd ride them... hasslers need to get over it. Not everyone is 25 and fit. I'm as fit as I can be at 56, working 50H a week... Doc said I need to exercise.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I'm going to be out in CA in a couple of weeks & might demo santa cruz & specialized ebikes. Any ride suggestions close to Santa Cruz?

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
About 10 yrs ago, we visited Santa Cruz headquarters (in Santa Cruz) and we rode demo bikes etc. If they still offer demos, you can ride out of town or you can shuttle to the top and ride back to town as I remember. I am not sure if E-riding is accepted there though?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles