Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I get the point about aesthetic design if the entire bike was like that but only the top tube seems out of place, hence my query. The bike is in a well lit room with roof windows where I prepped it for ride wrap, so when the sunlight hit it, I noticed, as you would when riding on a good day. The torch was only used to check over the frame for scratches defects etc, so not OCD by any means, but over here when you pay $13k for this bike I think its fair to check it over in detail.
The strip you mention, I agree in the sense that it doesn't look like a good bit of aesthetic design, whatever it is... Indoors you can't see it, but depends on the light intensity.
The second image looks like a patch. I would ask for a second opinion. Or get the LBS to show you that other bikes have the same "feature" in person. Pictures can look deceptive. $13k is a lot of money if the bike is not perfect!

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
It’s not OCD. Look up the definition.

It’s more perfectionism and wanting things to be perfect (which I totally get).

For me, I’d be happy with the uniqueness and I’d just ride it.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Mine is the same, the bit i find poor is the clear coat is really thin and mine had fine scratches in it from new.

Not confident trying to polish it out as its so thin.

This is my first Trek I am not impressed with how the bike was built, from the wrong cranks to bits missing. i have been told i will have my carbon cranks before christmas.

I just picked up an Orbea Rise M Team for 15% off, the finish on that is exceptional.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
"Black cars are harder to keep clean than other paint colors because they show dirt and dust easily, are more prone to water spots and scratches (and swirls) that can occur when washing are more visible." This applies to flaws as well. Black bikes are real popular now but white is much more practical for a mountain bike if you want it to look clean and flawless.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Paint finish is a tricky one. on one hand you've paid a lot of money for the bike so it should be perfect, on the other hand its a mountain bike, theyre not like road bikes or cars. Its going to get covered in mud,hit with rocks, crashed , loaded onto uplift trailers etc,so its not going to stay perfect looking for long even if it was perfect to start with. Or at least thats what always happens to my mountain bikes, they look knackered within about 2 months of taking ownership.

At the end of the day you're the one that paid for it,so if you're not happy with it then get rid of it.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
"Black cars are harder to keep clean than other paint colors because they show dirt and dust easily, are more prone to water spots and scratches (and swirls) that can occur when washing are more visible." This applies to flaws as well. Black bikes are real popular now but white is much more practical for a mountain bike if you want it to look clean and flawless.
Haha... bikes are meant to be ridden and will get a little dirty. If you want protection, RideWrap it. If you paid for a black paint job, it should be consistent and not so thin that it shows a possible patch job. A clear coat paint on a carbon bike should be perfect! Trek should at least TRY to do a better job in covering up their factory seconds or choose better frames for the clear coat "raw" versions. At least with Specialized, the paint is thick enough that you will never know if there are any patches until the frame breaks ;)

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
My recently purchased 2023 Fuel EXE 9.8 XT just came in (found my 2021 Rail 9.8 XT too much bike for my local tight cross-county woods trails).

Given both bikes were 9.8 XTs, was surprised that, for the most part, the Fuel’s specs were higher than the Rail’s specs. A couple examples:

Fuel’s fork is RS Lyrik Select + w/ Charger 3. Rail’s fork is RS ZEB select + w/ Charger 2.1 RC.

Fuel’s shock is RS Super Deluxe +. Rail’s shock is RS Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Fuel’s wheels are Elite. Rail’s wheels are Line Comp.

Fuel’s cranks are Carbon. Rail’s cranks are Aluminum.

Fuel’s brakes & calipers are XT. Rail’s brakes & calipers are SLX.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
For what its worth my 9.7 was item for item what the spec said it was. I would take that $300 in a heartbeat. Not a fan of carbon MTB cranks. Put the money into the touch points. Put on a set of Ergon G2 Fat grips the other day. Lots of value for money there.
Did you get the deore 4-pot (M6120) brakes and Deore levers then?

My 9.7 was spec'd accurately aside from the nicer upgrade to SLX 4-pot (M7120) brakes and SLX Lever (M7100). I've seen this done on other youtuber 9.7 video.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Ordered the 9.8XT Deep Smoke, Medium in August but just picked it up due to injury. When I was inspecting it under natural sunlight and a torch pre-ride wrapping, the top tube shows what appears to be the carbon patches and looks like they didn't use enough paint. Trek store and their HQ said "its intentional". I would understand if the whole bike was done in this fashion, but its not. Nowhere else on the bike can you see this, its a solid colour. Anyone else's look like this?

View attachment 102261
View attachment 102262
Mine has areas similar to this, but you have to be up very close to see it.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My recently purchased 2023 Fuel EXE 9.8 XT just came in (found my 2021 Rail 9.8 XT too much bike for my local tight cross-county woods trails).

Given both bikes were 9.8 XTs, was surprised that, for the most part, the Fuel’s specs were higher than the Rail’s specs. A couple examples:

Fuel’s fork is RS Lyrik Select + w/ Charger 3. Rail’s fork is RS ZEB select + w/ Charger 2.1 RC.

Really the only difference is the wheels and cranks. The MY22 Rail has full XT brakes and gearing. The fork and shock are only "better" because they are 2 years newer. They are the same model

Now the real question did the Fuel EX-E cost more or less than the 2021 9.8XT Rail?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Looks a lot like mine actually. Wrap and ride I'd say. I can definitely see the patches and segments in my frame. It's different in the differing light conditions..
Yeah mine is like that too and, I actually wish it was more translucent (like my propain tyee). Anyways, like it or not it is intentional, hence the “deep smoke” name.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

i am curious. Did your 9.8XT Fuel EXe come with the correct carbon cranks? Many others (including mine) were delivered with Al cranks.

BBFII

Nov 4, 2020
Madison Wisconsin
What are these patches on the carbon for?
Unidirectional Carbon is a series of alternating layers and "patches" such as this. It's a personal/design preference on if you like it. Maybe like natural look wood grain, but the "grain" here is intentional and structural. The scratching clearcoat is another story, but the carbon layers showing through is intentional.

gmcttr

Dec 5, 2022
South Central Indiana
I put my name on a EXe 9.8XT back in August with the expectation that it would be delivered in mid December. It's mid December and I want my Xmas present. Called the shop and Trek pushed it back to January.

I'm not a fan of supply chain issues.

Smr238

Oct 5, 2022
Georgia
I put my name on a EXe 9.8XT back in August with the expectation that it would be delivered in mid December. It's mid December and I want my Xmas present. Called the shop and Trek pushed it back to January.

I'm not a fan of supply chain issues.
ask your shop to call trek. mine was due in february. they called to see if one was available and two weeks later it showed up

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Took my reserve off yesterday. Started out as mid November and now due 27th Jan. Got impatient and had a go on the Forestal Siryon. Totally blown away and placed an order. They had physical bikes in stock too. Arrives in a week. Can’t wait. Guess I’ll be following a different thread now :)

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
Im mostly irritated that its not possible to have the displayed spec on the bike. on a 9.8 for example.
It can be ok if it a 1000 1200 Euro cost reduction but otherwise the bike is not woth its price.

Understand the problem, as Shiman and others will not cover up for the corona closedown but why even display a model spec thats not possible to buy..

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden

So you did accualy get a Fuel Exe with the correct spec ? its unusual

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
I put a deposit down on a 9.7 Pennyflake, and will probably pick it up next weekend. I'll install a GX AXS shifter/derailleur on it.
Will you order the TQ Smart box / AXS harness separately to run the AXs on the bikes battery ? Or run the batteri on the gear

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What are these patches on the carbon for?

I’ll say this about seeing the carbon fiber through the paint. I originally was going to get an allocated Mulsanne Blue EXe. This was before the bikes even showed up at the shops. My LBS told me the carbon fiber will show through the paint. This is not a flaw.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
ok. Mine had alu cranks, Sram guid brakes , Eightthirteen casset and therefore another body
Wow those are quite the changes. original was a 9.8?? Seems like a lot of downgrades. Alu cranks I can understand if they refund the difference. Guide brakes? XD driver for the e13 cassette.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Anybody here fancy to show a mulsanne blue build? Need some inspiration for pedals etc. what colors go well.
03AA1E6B-814C-45F0-8830-2D096B6F4DDE.jpeg

This is a stock 9.8XT. Pedals are WCS XC Ritchey. I like the color a lot. It changes quite a bit in different light. Too bad it chips really easily. I recommend protecting it with tape.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles