Sizing Help

Cubie81

Jun 1, 2020
West Midlands
I currently ride a Cube access hardtail (Non electric) it is a 19inch frame, I am looking at buying an electric full sus but noticed the sizes are either 18 or 20. I'm now unsure what size to get. I am 5 10 with an inside leg of 33.

To be honest I probably won't find any in stock right now and by the time I do it might be 2021 models and by then I will hopefully be able to go to the shop and try some.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on sizing going from hardtail to full suspension? Thanks

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I’m 5’11” 31” inside leg and have an 18” frame (stereo Hybrid 160). Not sure if I should have gone a size up, as I have the seat post relatively high in relation to the handle bars, which results in a neck ache, although that could be caused by age as much as anything. Having said that, I have fitted handle bars with an extra15mm rise and moved the saddle forward last week, those combined offer a much more comfortable position, less neck ache.

Strongly recommend trying both sizes If possible as your height is right on the cusp of 18/20” frames.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yeah I noticed cube hardtails are odd numbers and FS are even numbers.

I’m spot on 6ft and my current hardtail is 19inch.
If I eventually get a Cube FS it will be a 20inch for sure.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Also, frame size may depend on suspension, but don’t quote me on that. I have a 160, my mate has a 140, both with 18” frames, his feels much smaller than mine.

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
I currently ride a Cube access hardtail (Non electric) it is a 19inch frame, I am looking at buying an electric full sus but noticed the sizes are either 18 or 20. I'm now unsure what size to get. I am 5 10 with an inside leg of 33.

To be honest I probably won't find any in stock right now and by the time I do it might be 2021 models and by then I will hopefully be able to go to the shop and try some.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on sizing going from hardtail to full suspension? Thanks
I am 5 foot 10 and a bit lol
inside leg 33"
but I have a long arm reach
I have the 20" stereo 140 hybrid and it fits perfectly.
Hope this helps from Tony

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
that’s interesting. I’m looking at the 140.

I purchased a bike too small for me in the past
it was a santa cruz blur in a medium and the cockpit was too tight and I feel if I had purchased the 18" stereo 140 hybrid it would have also been too tight in the cockpit.
the only thing I would add is that the 140 29er in 20" is not good in tight turns with my ability.
But just rolls over everything in a relative straight line.
hope this helps Tony

Kodakflashman

Jun 12, 2020
West Sussex UK
I am 5 foot 10 and a bit lol
inside leg 33"
but I have a long arm reach
I have the 20" stereo 140 hybrid and it fits perfectly.
Hope this helps from Tony

I'm the same height and inside leg as Tony, with "normal?" arm reach. I also went for the 20" and find it's perfect size. I got the 140 TM 4 weeks ago & absolutely loving it.

Cubie81

Jun 1, 2020
West Midlands
So I took a chance and ordered the 20" 140 Stereo :cool:
Probably a bit risky considering I have never even sat on an emtb or a full suspension bike.. I'm sure it is way too much bike for what I will use it for but I would rather have a bike that I can use more and more once I get a bit more confidence, than get a hardtail and wish I had gone full suspension.

They are delivering it in 3 weeks so I will need to get it all set up myself.. I was going to get it delivered to a local store but its too far for me to ride home (when its my first time on it) and I only have a mini so would need to take it apart to try and fit it in the car anyway. (Any transporting ideas for a mini would be greatly appreciated :ROFLMAO:)

Time to order some extra bits and pieces now..
I am guessing I will need to order a suspension pump? Any type in particular?
I will use the pedals from my hardtail as I like them. I have a track pump but could do with a mini one to take out and about with me and a spare inner tube.. I will think about tubeless in the future but its a bit too much for a newbie at the moment..

Is there anything else that I need to buy for set up, essential bits and pieces for when I'm out on long rides or stuff for general maintenance?

Thanks in advance (y)

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
Probably a bit risky considering I have never even sat on an emtb or a full suspension bike.. I'm sure it is way too much bike for what I will use it for but I would rather have a bike that I can use more and more once I get a bit more confidence, than get a hardtail and wish I had gone full suspension.

They are delivering it in 3 weeks so I will need to get it all set up myself.. I was going to get it delivered to a local store but its too far for me to ride home (when its my first time on it) and I only have a mini so would need to take it apart to try and fit it in the car anyway. (Any transporting ideas for a mini would be greatly appreciated :ROFLMAO:)

I will use the pedals from my hardtail as I like them. I have a track pump but could do with a mini one to take out and about with me and a spare inner tube.. I will think about tubeless in the future but its a bit too much for a newbie at the moment..

Is there anything else that I need to buy for set up, essential bits and pieces for when I'm out on long rides or stuff for general maintenance?

Thanks in advance (y)
Hello there which model did you order?
I have the tm model.
I put muckynutz mudguards on to help protect the linkages in grey and orange to match the bike.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra

Thanks in advance (y)
Yep , supose if you are to set up you bike you prob need a sus/shock pump.
You have to change veicule :devilish: , as I think mini is limited in bike rack options use:mad:.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke

Thanks in advance (y)
I found setting up tubeless very simple / easy. If you do that early on you’ll have two spare inner tubes, so you could save a couple of quid if your going tubeless anyway. I’ve used Slime Pro sealant as I believe it doesn’t contain latex, which balls up / dries out and needs replacing regularly. Set them up Feb 2019 and have done nothing with them since, apart from top up pressure once a week. There are plenty of posts on here about tubeless, so plenty of good advice available.

Other than the bits you mentioned; decent multi tool, puncture repair, slime in your spare inner tube, tyre leavers, toilet paper. There are a few threads covering this subject, so you might want use the search function to find them and see what others are carrying.

Cubie81

Jun 1, 2020
West Midlands
Its arrived ?
So it arrived yesterday and it is such a nice looking bike, it is massive! I think I could have gotten away with the smaller size and just ridden with my seat a lot higher but I am still glad I went with the 20" (19" would have been perfect!)
One of my main concerns was the weight, on my local rides I come across a lot of gates where I need to lift my bike onto its back wheel to get through but it's not too bad.. Obviously a lot heavier than previous bike but its manageable even for a weakling like me!

Having never ridden a full suspension or electric bike before it was quite a fun test around my street just in eco mode. I hope to get out and about this weekend to give it a full test (Typically this weekend is going to be wet and windy)

One thing I have noticed is the breaks are not very strong at all, do I need to do something with them? I have to put full pressure on them to slow down and even then its not instant. if I did that on my old bike it would stop instantly and probably throw me off.

Also if someone could point me in the right direction of any tutorials on basic maintenance for a complete beginner. I usually just hose my old bike bike down if it was filthy and chuck it in the garage.. I'm surprised it still works as I never lubed/greased/adjusted anything.

And a suspension/shock tutorial as I have no idea how to set them up. I did buy a shock pump but haven't touched them yet!

Thanks in advance and for everyones help so far... ?

Kodakflashman

Jun 12, 2020
West Sussex UK
Hope you enjoy. With regards the brakes, they probably just need bedding in properly.
There are loads of other tips on the EMBN/GMBN channels, as well as Rob's channel

I've just added some matching mud guards in time for the hottest week of the year
received_701229143780320.jpeg

Cubie81

Jun 1, 2020
West Midlands
Brakes are now bedded in and are working fine. I added some mud guards so I don't get a face full of dirt and went on my first outing around the local area. OMG I can't stop smiling.. it was wet, windy and I was in shorts and t-shirt but having the time of my life.. I did 20 miles and would have continued if it wasn't for my hands getting cold.. (Left my gloves at home - Rooky mistake) I went out the next day and rode to places I would have never attempted without the added help of the battery.
I can see that buying this bike is going to be great for my mental health and wellbeing..

No issues with it so far, a bit of rattling coming from the stem so I will have a look at that soon... Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase.. I'm going to start planing routes around my area and just see where I end up!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles