Cube Stereo 160 TM Sizing?

JRoll

Sep 11, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Hey all, looking for some advice on sizing as I’m new to EMTB’s.
There’s a bike shop selling a TM model with a sizeable discount but it’s a size Large (20cm) and I normally ride a Medium (18). I’m about 5’8” and visually I’d say my legs are proportionally longer than my torso. I have been told by the shop that if I put on a shorter stem, change to handle bar with more sweep and move the saddle forward, that I can fit.
Guy also said that he had a colleague who was 5’9” stand over the bike and say there was enough stand over height and the reach was comfortable. The shop is a bit away from where I live which is why he had a colleague throw a leg over it. Due to the short supply, there is also no LBS that I can go to, to sit on the bike.
Does anyone have any advice/feedback on this? My initial instinct is to pass as I don’t want to “force” the bike to fit but looking for some feedback on the issue. Thanks!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hmm, Sounds relatively large. They say you are better off with a larger bike than with a smaller one as it is much stabler at speed..
I have the 20" bike and I am about 1.8 m (5´11"). If your legs are relatively long it won't be a problem. Get some platform shoes so you can reach the ground.
Actually I have some Five ten Sam Hill impact shoes where the sole is a bit thicker. maybe they would help.
1602224510240.png

With the reach I don't think you will have a problem. as said, seat forwards, in the worst case a shorter stem. The frame may be a little high, but if your legs are long that probably won't be a problem. I would suggest before you invest the money, try to ride one with that frame size. Where are you located. Maybe someone on the forum is near where you live with a Cube in that frame size that would let you have a try out. In my opinion it would be worth it.

JRoll

Sep 11, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Hmm, Sounds relatively large. They say you are better off with a larger bike than with a smaller one as it is much stabler at speed..
I have the 20" bike and I am about 1.8 m (5´11"). If your legs are relatively long it won't be a problem. Get some platform shoes so you can reach the ground.
Actually I have some Five ten Sam Hill impact shoes where the sole is a bit thicker. maybe they would help.
View attachment 41727
With the reach I don't think you will have a problem. as said, seat forwards, in the worst case a shorter stem. The frame may be a little high, but if your legs are long that probably won't be a problem. I would suggest before you invest the money, try to ride one with that frame size. Where are you located. Maybe someone on the forum is near where you live with a Cube in that frame size that would let you have a try out. In my opinion it would be worth it.
That will be my next step. See if I can track someone down locally here in Toronto Ontario and give it a go.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You could try a post here.
with a title like.
"Looking for anyone near Toronto with a 20" Cube Stereo 160 I could try".
Maybe you will get lucky

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I had a demo on a large with the bars rolled back. It was absolutely fine although I did order the recommended medium. I'm 5'8 and a half.
With the seat forward as well you'll have some flexability

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Hey all, looking for some advice on sizing as I’m new to EMTB’s.
There’s a bike shop selling a TM model with a sizeable discount but it’s a size Large (20cm) and I normally ride a Medium (18). I’m about 5’8” and visually I’d say my legs are proportionally longer than my torso. I have been told by the shop that if I put on a shorter stem, change to handle bar with more sweep and move the saddle forward, that I can fit.
Guy also said that he had a colleague who was 5’9” stand over the bike and say there was enough stand over height and the reach was comfortable. The shop is a bit away from where I live which is why he had a colleague throw a leg over it. Due to the short supply, there is also no LBS that I can go to, to sit on the bike.
Does anyone have any advice/feedback on this? My initial instinct is to pass as I don’t want to “force” the bike to fit but looking for some feedback on the issue. Thanks!
im five ten and love my meduim, i might for for riser bars just for personal choice but fit is fine for me i found the large a smidge big on the technichal

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Reach and stack shouldn´t be a problem (stack is similar across range) , in particular if you prefer longer than shorter (sugest comparing your actual bike reach and if you like it or not) . You should check if the seat tube lenght is ok for you on the L, as it get longer across size.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles