BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
Product Image:
20240322_161459.jpg

Product name: SicoMTB - rear mudguard
Price paid: £29
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: As an avid (e)mountain biker, protecting your bike from mud, rocks, and debris is paramount, especially when riding in rugged conditions. After experiencing some shortcomings with other mudguards on the market, I decided to give the mudguard from SicoMTB Products a try, and I'm glad I did. Here's a comprehensive review based on my experience:

Background:
I ride a 2022 Specialized Levo Expert, equipped with a dedicated Fox mudguard in the front. However, after a few messy rides, I realized the need for additional protection for both my frame and suspension components. My search led me to try the mudguard produced by the German company, Lieb Speed, but it fell short in terms of coverage and durability.

Initial Impressions:
Upon receiving the SicoMTB Products mudguard, I was immediately impressed by the meticulous packaging. The thoughtful attention to protecting the product during transit reflects the company's dedication to ensuring customer satisfaction and delivering a high-quality product.

Comparison with Competitors:
Compared to the Lieb Speed mudguard, the SicoMTB product stood out in several aspects. Firstly, it offers better coverage, particularly in the bottom bracket area, which is crucial for protecting the frame from mud and debris. Additionally, the SicoMTB mudguard is thicker, more rigid, and sturdier after installation, indicating superior engineering and design.

Installation and Integration:
Installing the SicoMTB mudguard was a breeze, thanks to its well-thought-out design and integration with bike frame contours. Once in place, it remained firmly secured, even during rigorous rides over rocky terrain. This seamless integration not only enhances the aesthetics of the bike but also ensures optimal performance and durability.

Performance and Durability:
After putting some miles on the bike, the SicoMTB mudguard proved to be highly effective in protecting both the frame and suspension components. In rocky conditions, where the risk of paint chipping and damage is high, the mudguard functioned as a reliable stone-guard, mitigating the impact of debris and maintaining the pristine appearance of the bike.

Customer Service:
One aspect that truly sets SicoMTB Products apart is their exceptional customer service. Simon and Magda, the owners of the company, provide professional, knowledgeable, and prompt assistance, ensuring a positive experience for every customer. Their dedication to addressing any queries or concerns reflects a genuine commitment to customer satisfaction.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, the mudguard from SicoMTB Products exceeded my expectations in terms of coverage, durability, and performance. Its meticulous design, ease of installation, and reliable protection make it a valuable addition to any mountain bike, particularly for riders who frequent rugged terrain. Combined with outstanding customer service, choosing SicoMTB Products ensures not only the protection of your bike but also a positive overall experience.

Comparison photos between Lieb Speed and SicoMTB mudguards:

Comparison 01.jpg

SicoMTB vs. Lieb Speed​

Comparison 05.jpg

sharp and unfinished edge of Lieb Speed mudguard​

Comparison 06.jpg

nicely finished edge of SicoMTB mudguard​

Comparison 03.jpg

Thickness of Lieb Speed mudguard - 1.50 mm​

Comparison 04.jpg

Thickness of SicoMTB mudguard - 2.42 mm

SicoMTB mudguard delivery and installation:

20240222_073901.jpg

20240222_074031.jpg

20240222_173734.jpg

20240222_172406.jpg

20240222_172524.jpg

20240222_171134.jpg

20240222_172206.jpg

SicoMTB mudguard in action:

Test ride 01.jpg

Test ride 02.jpg

20240322_160813.jpg

20240322_161459.jpg

20240322_143142.jpg

20240322_142940.jpg

20240322_142905.jpg

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Thanks for the review but I found the rear fender to be too short, it doesn't stop debris from hitting the dropper or my back pack. The length of the fender has to at least cover up the top of the tire and yet some or your going to get wet n dirty . 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
Thanks for the review but I found the rear fender to be too short, it doesn't stop debris from hitting the dropper or my back pack. The length of the fender has to at least cover up the top of the tire and yet some or your going to get wet n dirty . 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for sharing your feedback on the rear fender. It's important to note that while mudguards play a crucial role in minimizing debris from hitting the rider, their primary function is to protect the bike itself. I appreciate your perspective on the need for extended coverage to shield both the rider and their gear from dirt and moisture.

However, it's worth mentioning that the design of the SicoMTB mudguard prioritizes the protection of the bike's frame and suspension components. While it may not provide extensive coverage to prevent debris from reaching the rider or their backpack, it effectively safeguards the bike from mud, rocks, and other trail hazards.

As a mountain biker, I understand and accept the trade-off between aesthetic appeal and functionality when it comes to mudguard design. While longer, more cumbersome mudguards may offer enhanced protection for the rider, they often detract from the overall look and feel of the bike, which is something many riders, including myself, prefer to avoid.

Ultimately, each rider's preference may vary, and it's important to choose a mudguard that best aligns with one's priorities and riding style. For me, the SicoMTB mudguard strikes the perfect balance between protection and aesthetics, allowing me to enjoy my rides without compromising on performance or style.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Bikebert said : "While longer, more cumbersome mudguards may offer enhanced protection for the rider, they often detract from the overall look and feel of the bike, which is something many riders, including myself, prefer to avoid."

Bingo ! I use fenders only when absolutely necessary, it's gotta be mighty muddy or very wet otherwise the fenders are off. Fenders on Mt bikes look butt fut ugly no matter what the design in my opinion , so they better keep everything off when needed. Just my opinion of course. 😎

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Spot on absolutely agree no other mudguard gives as good protection of the frame as Sicomtb do.
It goes all the way down and fits like a glove with no ugly visible straps.
Yes I admit I'm vain.
Some says it's shit since it don't protect their ass but they forget it's not designed to protect their ass but the bike frame.

IMG_2306.jpeg

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
The RapidRacingProducts max front on the front and rear works awesome too.

tempImagepOxXwj.png

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve just swapped an RRP for a SicoMTB on a 2019 Cube 160. They are similar at first glance but the SicoMTB is wider and much longer at the front where it matters. It has massively more clearance due to being model specific and that also means there are no legs down the seat stay which I think looks much better
It is about 2cm shorter at the back but that’s not why I have a mudguard and I think less is more aesthetically

Last edited:

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I’ve just swapped an RRP for a SicoMTB on a 2019 Cube 160. They are similar at first glance but the SicoMTB is wider and much longer at the front where it matters. It has massively more clearance due to being model specific and that also means there are no legs down the seat stay which I think looks much better
It is about 2cm shorter at the back but that’s not why I have a mudguard and I think less is more aesthetically
You got the wrong RRP then. The RRP MAX front is way longer than the Sicomtb. It works great on the rear of my Levo with a little trimming.

Last edited:

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I still have the RRP short on the front but the short version. I only have the SicomMTB on the rear and I’m comparing it to the RRP rear that I removed
I don’t like the look of mudguards and would prefer not to use any at all. Like I said, for me, less is more

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Product Image:
View attachment 138405

Product name: SicoMTB - rear mudguard
Price paid: £29
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: As an avid (e)mountain biker, protecting your bike from mud, rocks, and debris is paramount, especially when riding in rugged conditions. After experiencing some shortcomings with other mudguards on the market, I decided to give the mudguard from SicoMTB Products a try, and I'm glad I did. Here's a comprehensive review based on my experience:

Background:
I ride a 2022 Specialized Levo Expert, equipped with a dedicated Fox mudguard in the front. However, after a few messy rides, I realized the need for additional protection for both my frame and suspension components. My search led me to try the mudguard produced by the German company, Lieb Speed, but it fell short in terms of coverage and durability.

Initial Impressions:
Upon receiving the SicoMTB Products mudguard, I was immediately impressed by the meticulous packaging. The thoughtful attention to protecting the product during transit reflects the company's dedication to ensuring customer satisfaction and delivering a high-quality product.

Comparison with Competitors:
Compared to the Lieb Speed mudguard, the SicoMTB product stood out in several aspects. Firstly, it offers better coverage, particularly in the bottom bracket area, which is crucial for protecting the frame from mud and debris. Additionally, the SicoMTB mudguard is thicker, more rigid, and sturdier after installation, indicating superior engineering and design.

Installation and Integration:
Installing the SicoMTB mudguard was a breeze, thanks to its well-thought-out design and integration with bike frame contours. Once in place, it remained firmly secured, even during rigorous rides over rocky terrain. This seamless integration not only enhances the aesthetics of the bike but also ensures optimal performance and durability.

Performance and Durability:
After putting some miles on the bike, the SicoMTB mudguard proved to be highly effective in protecting both the frame and suspension components. In rocky conditions, where the risk of paint chipping and damage is high, the mudguard functioned as a reliable stone-guard, mitigating the impact of debris and maintaining the pristine appearance of the bike.

Customer Service:
One aspect that truly sets SicoMTB Products apart is their exceptional customer service. Simon and Magda, the owners of the company, provide professional, knowledgeable, and prompt assistance, ensuring a positive experience for every customer. Their dedication to addressing any queries or concerns reflects a genuine commitment to customer satisfaction.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, the mudguard from SicoMTB Products exceeded my expectations in terms of coverage, durability, and performance. Its meticulous design, ease of installation, and reliable protection make it a valuable addition to any mountain bike, particularly for riders who frequent rugged terrain. Combined with outstanding customer service, choosing SicoMTB Products ensures not only the protection of your bike but also a positive overall experience.

Comparison photos between Lieb Speed and SicoMTB mudguards:

View attachment 138417
SicoMTB vs. Lieb Speed​

View attachment 138418
sharp and unfinished edge of Lieb Speed mudguard​

View attachment 138419
nicely finished edge of SicoMTB mudguard​

View attachment 138420
Thickness of Lieb Speed mudguard - 1.50 mm​

View attachment 138421

View attachment 138405

View attachment 138406

View attachment 138407

View attachment 138408
And yet if you look at motorcycles the guard always seems to be at the back of the tyre which eliminates rooster tails of water and mud, personally anything fixed with zip ties when velcro is a better solution only helps damaging your frame as they rub.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Another +1 from me

Cube hybrid stereo 140 - mud clogging up the rear linkage on every muddy ride, and jamming the chain in the chain guard
Tried tons of mudguards which, yes were longer to stop mud going up my back but did nothing to stop the linkage clogging up.

Bought a SicoMTB guard and it's perfect. No more clogged up wheel in frame, rear linkage, chain in chainguard. Even in the thickest mud

Yeah it's shorter and more goes up my back but I don't care, if I get covered in mud I can still ride, if the linkage jams up or the chain then I can't - and after lifing my bike into a river once to try to clear the clay/mud off.. never again

Well designed, fit perfect. And because it doesn't stick out miles at the back I just leave it on all year round which is nice as it also stops stone chips in summer

Carlos.SR

Apr 19, 2023
USA/Germany
Thanks for the review, but for me it reads like a big advertising of SicoMTB by themself...

Using Peter Liebspeed`s Mud guards on my Turbo Levo front/back and I happy with them.
There might be little differences betwenn Liebspeed and SicoMTB, but don´t see any reason to put Liebspeed down and SicoMTB up (10 out of 10 :rolleyes:).

Just my two cents...
p.s.: and no, I´m not related to P. Liebspeed and also don´t sell his Mudguards.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
@BikeBert thanks for the review. What's that sock on the dropper-frame junction called?
The rubber sleeve on the dropper is the BikeYoke Willy. While it may look nice and sleek, I cannot recommend it. As several riders have experienced, mine tore after just seven rides around the seat clamp bolt (see the photo below). I had hoped for a longer lifespan from this €10 piece of fancy rubber.

Do yourself a favor and opt for an old tube or zip-tie solution instead. 😉

20240420_191848.jpg

N16BS

May 15, 2021
Poland
The rubber sleeve on the dropper is the BikeYoke Willy. While it may look nice and sleek, I cannot recommend it. As several riders have experienced, mine tore after just seven rides around the seat clamp bolt (see the photo below). I had hoped for a longer lifespan from this €10 piece of fancy rubber.

Do yourself a favor and opt for an old tube or zip-tie solution instead. 😉

View attachment 138990
Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles