Helsinki, Finland
Alps Tour 2019

IMG_20190627_120511.jpg

IMG_20190623_210842.jpg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’m sure this is a silly question but why take the battery out?
The roof rack is only rated to 20kgs, the levo expert is 21. With the battery out it’s 17ish. Also I have to lift the bastard above my head to get it on the car.

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
Could you fit 2 of those bikes with a 2nd rack?
My hardtails are about 21kg with batteries off and max load for my SUV roof is 75kg
Yeh it would work fine. My bike it 23kg with battery out and it holds fine. So your maths says you could have 3 bikes on your rack if wanted.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think Spesh recommends the battery out when transporting.

My worry is I have a semi integrated battery and with the battery compartment open to the elements, what happens if it’s on the roof of the car driven at 70mph in pouring rain? Also won’t water be smashing into the motor seals at 70mph as the car travels along? We all know what happens when you open up a motor that has water ingress. A bucket load of rusty cogs and bearings grinding away and literally eating themselves into dust ?

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Can I ask what rack that is in the back please?

Decided a van type thing was the way to go. Currently popping front wheels off and securing to home made fork mounts. Like the idea of leaving the wheels on!

Cheers

View attachment 18803

View attachment 18804

View attachment 18805

Yep vans are the way to go... haven't looked back since getting the Caddy.

I also originally started carrying the Levo with front wheel off, but it was getting tiresome. It's OK with my road bikes but not with the eMTB so got this for carrying it with wheels on:

Front wheel in this, takes the 2.6" tyre, with a small amount of tape on the bolts to avoid scratching the rim:

Back wheel in this (probably optional if the bike is strapped down):

Then these to strap the bike down to the ringbolts in the floor:
15 - Cycling - 3m Straps, Twin Pack - Car Bike Rack Accessory

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
1up rack kicks ass. About 10 seconds to load or unload. No stupid straps or bars. Easiest hitch mounted bike carrier I have used. Only 23 lbs and can carry a 50 pound bike. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited:

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
Yep vans are the way to go... haven't looked back since getting the Caddy.

I also originally started carrying the Levo with front wheel off, but it was getting tiresome. It's OK with my road bikes but not with the eMTB so got this for carrying it with wheels on:

Front wheel in this, takes the 2.6" tyre, with a small amount of tape on the bolts to avoid scratching the rim:

Back wheel in this (probably optional if the bike is strapped down):

Then these to strap the bike down to the ringbolts in the floor:
15 - Cycling - 3m Straps, Twin Pack - Car Bike Rack Accessory

Cheers Dude!

TonyBalony

Jul 1, 2020
Netherlands
This is my way of transporting if it is just me alone.

Thule Raceway 3 with one post down under the rear wheel, one post pointed up next to the seat stay for stability and attached the pedal to that post, also Seasucker on the roof.

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-14 om 08.33.29.png

Last edited:

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
Sorry to revive this thread, i'd ask those that are exposing the carbon specy under the sunlight….on service manual specy says “Do not expose the bicycle to prolonged direct sunlight or excessive heat, such as inside a car parked in the sun”
and i can’t transport it inside the car. any help. I've opend a dedicate thread..anyway i found in this one experience people….

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Sorry to revive this thread, i'd ask those that are exposing the carbon specy under the sunlight….on service manual specy says “Do not expose the bicycle to prolonged direct sunlight

My last few bikes have been carbon. Although I occasionally ride at night, most of the time it's during the day. So far, I have not experienced any deleterious effects of riding in the sun. My frames are good, handlebars are good, levers are good, rims are good. The five-year old carbon cranks on one of my bikes has shown some deterioration, but I suspect it's more from bulldozing through rock gardens than it is from riding under the sun.

My recommendation is to ride and transport your bike any way you want. Put it in the garage when you're not riding it. Don't leave it sitting out in the yard for months at a time.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve that makes sense about heating issues. But not about uv radiations and consequences .
Same thing surely, the bike is either in the sun or it isn't. However, I guess that If I was to spend hours getting the bike to the trail head in hot sun, then OK, that means the bike gets extra UV vs what I get. Which was probably your point?

In addition, it would matter if the bike was stored outside instead of in the garage. That may be an option for those in a drier climate. But even if it was guaranteed not to rain, I would still need to lock my bike up inside the garage or it would get stolen for sure.

I have a carbon fibre frame and it had never occurred to me that an excess of UV might damage the bike, I live in the UK and not the tropics. Maybe I should put sunscreen on the frame? (on top of the paint and the bike tape). :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles