Show us your Vitus!

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Through the worst (I hope). Still have a tight chest and even a short walk causes breathlessness. just resting tryin not to do too much too soon.
Take care man.

I'm convinced I had it 3 weeks before lockdown.

Nasty sore throat, sudden fatigue, and hot 'flushes'. Then two days later breathing was uncomfortable, especially in the evenings. That lasted over a week. Then the tight chest and breathlessness persisted and has only recently eased. My aerobic capacity is more or less back to normal.

Rest is the only thing that will help.

Get well soon.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
In other news, I now own my Vitus E-sommet VR outright. Paid the finance off.

I had to do something to make me feel better after cancelling my Tesla Model 3 order.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rest is the only thing that will help.

Get well soon.
Thanks mate. Great to hear you're recovered. I'm resting as much as I can. Breathing isnt great still even with very light exertment so it's not too hard doing very little.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Just put the bike together , e-sommet VRS 2020
IMG_20200420_175056.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice! Check the chain device doesn't hit the swing arm when the suspension is compressed, can rip off the hiansty protection if it does. easy to rotate forwards, you can access the chain device bolts though the chain ring

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Nice! Check the chain device doesn't hit the swing arm when the suspension is compressed, can rip off the hiansty protection if it does. easy to rotate forwards, you can access the chain device bolts though the chain ring
Thanks for the tip , i am defently gonna check that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@volts so you're now running 4 tokens in the fork and 4 in the shock?
Did you add that many because you wanted a super progressive bike or to improve your small bump sensitivity?
Personally I prefer the more linear LC less tokens but higher pressure gives as it improves initial support. But I like a poppy playful bike rather than loads of small bump compliance.
If you're happy running that many tokens I think you'd probably also like the performance of a Meg Neg air can on the rear and the newer debonair spring in the fork. Neither are super expensive or difficult to fit.
I think @R120 is running a megneg and could probably tell you how he finds it in comparison to stock. I've only ridden Meg Negs (and the new Lyriks) fitted to normal enduro bikes.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
@volts so you're now running 4 tokens in the fork and 4 in the shock?
Did you add that many because you wanted a super progressive bike or to improve your small bump sensitivity?
Personally I prefer the more linear LC less tokens but higher pressure gives as it improves initial support. But I like a poppy playful bike rather than loads of small bump compliance.
If you're happy running that many tokens I think you'd probably also like the performance of a Meg Neg air can on the rear and the newer debonair spring in the fork. Neither are super expensive or difficult to fit.
No I mean it's the total (not added), so 3 front I added 1 in the back which I thought meant 2 total, but seeing your comment it must mean I have 3 in the shock.
I actually don't really want a very sensitive fork, I just really hate it diving so I added tokens and a lot of pressure. Yeah, some call me an idiot, but that's how I like it best. I spent a fair bit of time in the start figuring out how I liked it the best. When jumping I dislike it feeling "dead" and I kept bottoming out using ALL travel all the time without the 3 tokens in the back and around 260 PSI.
Idk if it sounds stupid, but it's how I like it the best.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The meg neg maintains the suppleness off the top, and from my experience significantly increases the mid stroke support, which for me means I don't blow though the travel whilst still being able to keep the suppleness off the top.

The main thing I appreciate from it when riding the bike, is that when I am really pumping around corners, or into jumps/features, its a lot more supportive and makes the bike feel more reactive to my inputs.

However you need to know what you are doing to set it up, and it has a multitude of tuning options - I had mine professionally fitted and set up by Surrey Hills Suspension, who I cant recommend highly enough

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I didn't like the debonair 2019 spring, but I will add the 2020 or 2021 or whatever they call the new bits to mine current debonair since it should cause it to remain higher in it's travel and that way it should be possible to reduce a bit pressure. Any comments on that, from someone who have tried the new spring? Still on the fence about the megneg. The name alone made me think it was pure marketing, and I'm not even sure I will notice it that much. I mostly do jumptrails since we don't have anything really rough about where I live. It could be good for when traveling to the alps and such though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No I mean it's the total (not added), so 3 front I added 1 in the back which I thought meant 2 total, but seeing your comment it must mean I have 3 in the shock.
I actually don't really want a very sensitive fork, I just really hate it diving so I added tokens and a lot of pressure. Yeah, some call me an idiot, but that's how I like it best. I spent a fair bit of time in the start figuring out how I liked it the best. When jumping I dislike it feeling "dead" and I kept bottoming out using ALL travel all the time without the 3 tokens in the back and around 260 PSI.
Idk if it sounds stupid, but it's how I like it the best.
it's just personal preference.
what do you weigh? and what sort of jumper are you? big hucks to flat or smooth landers?
I'm pretty smooth having a bit of dirt jumping experience and hate flat landings so rarely ever use more travel landing than I do pushing into a lip. Jumping into or off stuff on a trail is obviously a different story than well built jumps.
@200lb I run zero tokens in my fork and 2 in my shock
85psi (24% sag*) in the fork and 205psi (around 27%) in the shock
rebound fairly fast. (fork slightly more so).
*Bear in mind the 2017-19 lyrik sags 10mm ish on it's own so my fork sag is actual far closer to 17-20% from full extension.

I'd agree with @R120 on just how crucial set-up is. spring pressure particularly. 5psi can make tons of difference to the ride characteristics and depending on which airspring/can and subsequent leverage curve you have it can be even more crucial. I don't think it takes a suspension expert to get this right. But it does take time and a little trial and error.

Don't take anyone elses pressures as gospel either as shock pumps aren't all equal and different folk have a different idea of how best to measure sag.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I didn't like the debonair 2019 spring, but I will add the 2020 or 2021 or whatever they call the new bits to mine current debonair since it will reamin higher in it's travel and that way it should be possible to reduce a bit pressure. Any comments on that, from someone who have tried the new spring? Still on the fence about the megneg. The name alone made me think it was pure marketing.

I actually have access to the new fork spring and meg neg to fit if I wanted.
I might well fit the spacer to get rid of the sag but keep my 2019 shaft. I'm still sick so can't tell you if the new spacer will def fit a 2019 air shaft until I get back to work though
I personally don't want a meg neg. Partly why I asked @R120 for his thoughts. The can isn't not marketing nonsense. it actually does exactly what RS describe it does. That doesn't mean it's going to be how everyone (me especially) wants their rear air spring to perform.
and Meg-Neg isn't the stupidest name RS have ever come up with.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
it's just personal preference.
what do you weigh? and what sort of jumper are you? big hucks to flat or smooth landers?
I'm pretty smooth having a bit of dirt jumping experience and hate flat landings so rarely ever use more travel landing than I do pushing into a lip. Jumping into or off stuff on a trail is obviously a different story than well built jumps.
@200lb I run zero tokens in my fork and 2 in my shock
85psi (24% sag*) in the fork and 205psi (around 27%) in the shock
rebound fairly fast. (fork slightly more so).
*Bear in mind the 2017-19 lyrik sags 10mm ish on it's own so my fork sag is actual far closer to 17-20% from full extension.

I'd agree with @R120 on just how crucial set-up is. spring pressure particularly. 5psi can make tons of difference to the ride characteristics and depending on which airspring/can and subsequent leverage curve you have it can be even more crucial. I don't think it takes a suspension expert to get this right. But it does take time and a little trial and error.

Don't take anyone elses pressures as gospel either as shock pumps aren't all equal and different folk have a different idea of how best to measure sag.

Total with apparel and water, i guess between 90 and 95. I wouldn't call myself a smooth lander, I definitely case some jump when I get to a new jump line, or overshoot and go to flat. But I can usually land relatively OKish. The thing is, I am trying to learn myself a few tricks like better whips and tables and as such I am making mistakes. On the local trails, even though I am helping building the trails, the ones in charge are completely horrified of the though of building proper landings or *gasp* a gap of more than 2 meters *shock*, so almost all jumps are improvised lines to flat. Sad but it is how it is, on the local trails. Different story if I drive a bit, to the jump lines.
My likings of shock progression and pressure is derived from a lot of trial and error, just on the local trails and proper jumplines I do. It would likely have to be changed some, if I was to go somewhere else. Especially the pressure would most likely make sense to lower.

edit:
I actually have access to the new fork spring and meg neg to fit if I wanted.
I might well fit the spacer to get rid of the sag but keep my 2019 shaft. I'm still sick so can't tell you if the new spacer will def fit a 2019 air shaft until I get back to work though
I personally don't want a meg neg. Partly why I asked @R120 for his thoughts. The can isn't not marketing nonsense. it actually does exactly what RS describe it does. That doesn't mean it's going to be how everyone (me especially) wants their rear air spring to perform.
and Meg-Neg isn't the stupidest name RS have ever come up with.

According to the marketing material, it looks like you can retrofit the parts on a 2019 spring (debonair), and the cost is lower than a new spring. With 2018 or older you need a completely new spring.
I hope you get well soon.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I suppose that's where our riding styles ultimately differ and hence our set-up preferences will too.
I learned all the old skool tricks like whips, tables, one footers. no footers, X-ups etc. a loooong time ago first in the 80s on BMX and later in the 90s on dirt jump hardtails with 100mm of super stiff travel. I still like to ride both BTW. I transferred those skills to DH bikes and now Eebs. The difference between a DH bike and an Eeb is really quite subtle and mainly a pre-load/timing difference so it didn't take me long at all to dial all that in on the Eeb. (intentionally spent a day just jumping when I'd had my first ESommet a week or two).
Being an old skool DH racer/rider it wasn't until a few years ago I never even got on with air shocks and I guess that's also a big reason I still prefer to keep my air spring as linear as it can be. (and instead, prefer a progressive frame). The Esommet is fairly progressive in leverage curve.
I also like mid skool DH geometry more than modern geo.
ie. slack H/As but slightly shorter reach than a modern DH bike. preferring a super low BB to long wheelbase to aid stability.
Hence me being happiest on a small ESommet despite being 5'11"

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I suppose that's where our riding styles ultimately differ and hence our set-up preferences will too.
I learned all the old skool tricks like whips, tables, one footers. no footers, X-ups etc. a loooong time ago first in the 80s on BMX and later in the 90s on dirt jump hardtails with 100mm of super stiff travel. I still like to ride both BTW. I transferred those skills to DH bikes and now Eebs. The difference between a DH bike and an Eeb is really quite subtle and mainly a pre-load/timing difference so it didn't take me long at all to dial all that in on the Eeb. (intentionally spent a day just jumping when I'd had my first ESommet a week or two).
Being an old skool DH racer/rider it wasn't until a few years ago I never even got on with air shocks and I guess that's also a big reason I still prefer to keep my air spring as linear as it can be. (and instead, prefer a progressive frame). The Esommet is fairly progressive in leverage curve.
I also like mid skool DH geometry more than modern geo.
ie. slack H/As but slightly shorter reach than a modern DH bike. preferring a super low BB to long wheelbase to aid stability.
Hence me being happiest on a small ESommet despite being 5'11"

Heh, I am just an old dude who has only been riding for 3 years, so no comparison to your history.
I guess MTB just captured me as I can't run or rock climb very well anymore because of knee problems, have been obsessing about mtb since.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Heh, I am just an old dude who has only been riding for 3 years, so no comparison to your history.
I guess MTB just captured me as I can't run or rock climb very well anymore because of knee problems, have been obsessing about mtb since.
Well you are going to have a whole lot of fun on your new ride - one of the great things about the Vitus is it is so well sorted as standard, so just getting it set up correctly should see you having a ton of fun.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. You can probably tell my rough age from my riding history. My knees aren't the best anymore either and I haven't been able to run any distance since a big bike related injury 18 years back
I was gonna suggest a hardtail (jump bike) and building some nice landings to help you get smoother. but... er.. yeah.. maybe not... I still love jumping my hardtails but I don't think I'd be be so keen on going back to the beginning of that learning curve now. I turn 50 in the next couple of weeks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles