Show us your Vitus!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interested to see what people are riding and what they have done to their Vitus's

As some of you may know I have two of them, both size L

E- Sommett VR, quite heavily modified, main ones being:

• Red 180mm Lyrik RC2
  • Nuke Proof Horizon 35mm rise bars
  • Nuke Proof Horizon 30mm Stem
  • Miranda 160mm Cranks
  • One Up flat Pedals
  • One Up Dropper Remote
  • E7000 Controller
  • Fabric Scoop Cell saddle
  • Ergon GE1 Grips
  • Currently running 2.6 Hillybills front and rear

Also have an E-Sentier hardtail, which has had a few changes too ;):

• Powdercoated matte black
  • 150mm Fox 36 Factory
  • Fox Factory transfer dropper
  • One Up dropper remote
  • E7000 Controller
  • DMR Deathgrips
  • Changed rotors to 180mm out back, rotors are Shimano XT running with the stock Guide RE's
  • 160mm Miranda Cranks (added since picture taken)
  • One Up pedals
  • Nuke Proof Horizon 35MM riser Bars
  • Nuke Proof Horizon 30mm stem
  • WTB Volt saddle
  • Magic Marys DH super Soft

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_4066.jpeg

IMG_4084.jpeg

Last edited:

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Vitus Sentier VR, bought new Sept 18, XL,
12F438D4-F533-45FE-8F81-345C5A2EBD7B.jpeg
fairly stock apart from ,

160mm rear disc ( original is 200mm and creates horrendous vibration)
E6000 switch gear ( damaged original in a crash and it left me stranded, now repaired but they are vulnerable!)
Couple of mudguards,
Nukeproof flat pedals.
Set up Tubeless.

Love it to death ,

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I absolutely love the look and spec Vitus. Has anyone looked into changing the decals?
I will bring my Sommett to the next Nirvana ride, you are welcome to have a go on it

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
0EF72708-5D87-409C-B19E-2F428793680C.jpeg
My hardtail bought for family rides with my lad on the back. Fox 36 probably a bit overkill for that but to be fair I think I’ll use it more than I imagined when purchased. It’s a really fun bike.

Added; burgtec flats and seat, magic mary, pilgrips,destickered, e6000 control, still need to upgrade the dropper and now I’ve seen @R120 beaut I need to add custom powder coating to the list!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO the 36's are exactly what it needs :cool:

FYI if you get it powder coated, and are not confident in breaking down the bike, get the local shop to do it and leave some spare screws in all the fixings - this prevents the threads getting buggered when it gets powder coated - most powdercoaters have caps and bungs they use to protect the head tube, bb etc, but worth using someone who has experience doing bikes if possible.

Also they use a special tape to seal areas you don't want coated, get them to put it on the top of the mounts where the battery clamps fit, as these are a tight fit.

Heres mine before she was sent off, you can see the screws/bolts in things like the post mounts for rear brake etc.

IMG_3343.jpeg

IMG_3344.jpeg

IMG_3345.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3347.jpeg

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Forgot to add I cut the bars down too, 800mm just seemed far too excessive to me on a bike like this. I’ve also used some sump foam to plug the two big gaps around the motor and underneath the battery. Does anyone know if you can get a bashguard for the motor as it seems quite vulnerable. My Thok has the same motor but came with a bashguard.

Cheers for the pics pre paint @R120 I used to have kart chassis sprayed so have a good idea of what needs blanking plates and protecting threads but it’s cool to have for reference. Need to think of an appropriate colour scheme now ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have been emailing Vitus about bash guard for the Sentier to see if the Sommett one can be made to fit - but they have properly got back to me yet - good call on the foam, I have gorilla taped mine as I haven't had time to go down the local Moto store.

Commencal do a spare of the guard for the Meta power, but no idea if it will fit:

COMMENCAL | DRIVE UNIT PROTECTOR META POWER

Are you anywhere near Rockguardz? If I was closer I would take the bike over there and get them to knock something up - they have done some nice ones for the Levo and Cube motors

Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

img-20181009-wa0003.jpg

img-20181024-wa0001.jpg

Screenshot 2019-01-03 at 20.29.30.png

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Whereabouts are RockGuardz based? It’s not obvious from their website.

The commencal one could be a good shout, I haven’t studied the Sentier frame in detail but from memory I can’t recall seeing anywhere for a bashguard to be fit. I don’t relish drilling and tapping the frame to do so ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I need to drop the motor from my Sommett to check it out, but haven't had time. Pretty sure they mount to the frame rather than the motor.

They are in Shropshire

Unit 2, Weirbrook House, Nr West Felton, Shropshire, SY11 4ES

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Ok, so they are about 2 hours away.

If you find any further info out let us know and I’ll see what I can figure out too in the meantime ?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Here's mine. 2018 XL E-Sommet with the following mods;

Red graphics removed / covered with black vinyl
170mm reverb with paddle switch
165mm XT cranks
50mm Syntace megaforce 2 stem
12 degree sweep SQlabs bars
Ergon GA2 fat grips
2.6 Schwalbe Magic Mary and Hans Dampf tyres
Saint pedals
2019 Lyrik air spring
E7000 power mode switch3
36t chainring
Changed the nasty, rusty caliper bolts for stainless

Might get some colour matched Slik fork and shock graphics at some point. Other than that and a more robustly mounted wheel magnet I think I'm done with mods, absolutely bloody love it

20190103_114319.jpg

20181208_151527.jpg

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Alright I know it’s not an ebike but Iam absolutely blown away by the quality and value for money of this Vitus Escarpe , we had the older model and that was very good , this has moved up a level again , no wonder it got voted trail bike of the year ,

CB6DF428-96CB-4D4D-A4D4-238E109CE3B5.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah I am super tempted bu the Escarpe, the spec for the price is something else. I really wish they would make an EMTB version of it!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yeah I am super tempted bu the Escarpe, the spec for the price is something else. I really wish they would make an EMTB version of it!

Yes it would sell for sure and knock all competition into the weeds I reckon . Thier value for money seems to increase while all other brands put prices up
I was very lucky with that Escarpe they did triple loyalty discount for a week only and I had just spent a few hundred so I got 15% more off , ended up costing the same as the 2017 model we had and that was on offer . Should gave bought a spare ebike at the same time ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Other than that and a more robustly mounted wheel magnet
it aint the magnet mounting on mine. it's the fact straight pull spokes can rotate in the hub/rim when they momentarily lose tension under compression. I loosened the nipple and added thread lock to the nipple seat at the rim and spoke end seat in the hub and the magnet now only rotates on fairly sideways landings (makes sense). and rarely ever enough to spin out of sensor distance.
keep meaning to make some sort of magnet mount that attaches to two spokes or use a BFO ziptie drilled for the magnet to pop through and held onto an adjacent spoke and stop the spoke/magnet rotating.

Only just noticed we have a Vitus manny forum (was kinda hoping the E-sommet thread was going to end up the biggest thread on here but homeless and drunk just like I imagine the owners of such a cheap Ebike to be)

DSC_1257.JPG

Taken outside a random posh persons house I was casing ;)

Mods:
Red decals removed™
Carbon vinyl car wrap covering the ugly red paint™ - amatures imitate, Professionals steal ;)
Sensus Lite lock-ons - IMO the second best gloveless grips available (disisdaboss are v.slightly better but too long for controls positioning)
Steele Ind P030 pedals - grippy, decent shape but poor bearing sealing
150mm Brand X dropper (smalls came with 120mm and 170 won't fit)
2019 Brand X dropper remote (Huge improvement over the original)
Go-pro mount stem top cap (for light fitting more than GP)
Added mastic tape next to R/H lock on collar for lights remotes.
Added mastic to chain top guide to reduce noise and secure chain with the larger gap a 36T gives (38t mounting position)
Alu HTII crank bolts for security over the stupid plastic ones
Selle italia SLR 135 saddle
sintered brake pads (fronts just fitted after 1800miles(ish), rears about 200miles earlier)
Replacement motor @800miles
RRP Proguard max protection mudguard Rapid Racer Products Proguard Review - EMTB Forums
Cable protectors
New rear mech hanger @ 1000 miles
Dakine hotlaps gripper tool stash (2x tubes, Co2, multitool, spares)
36T NW Alu chainring courtesty of aliexpress
Box Components Box2-E 11-50 9 speed cassette Box e-bike Drivetrain Review - EMTB Forums
*Box Components Box2-E 11-50 9 speed shifter
Box Components Box2-E 11-50 9 speed rear mech
Box Components Box2-E 11-50 chain
E7000 controller. Smashed 1x E8000 and the E7000 is neater/smaller/lighter/more tucked out the way.
Tomtom multisport GPS
Elastic Enduro style strap/holder around the battery
Not shown
Magic Mary 2.35 soft snakeskin tyre up front (tubeless)
Highroller II 2.3 dual compound Exo rear (tubeless)
Custom fork lower scuffs from a drunken 4am crash on 1st Jan 2019

*OEM shimano XT/SLX drivetrain isn't worn out. It's sat in storage after 1600+ miles and plenty life left in it.

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
it aint the magnet mounting on mine. it's the fact straight pull spokes can rotate in the hub/rim when they momentarily lose tension under compression. I loosened the nipple and added thread lock to the nipple seat at the rim and spoke end seat in the hub and the magnet now only rotates on fairly sideways landings (makes sense). and rarely ever enough to spin out of sensor distance.
keep meaning to make some sort of magnet mount that attaches to two spokes or use a BFO ziptie drilled for the magnet to pop through and held onto an adjacent spoke and stop the spoke/magnet rotating.

Mods:
Red decals removed™
Carbon vinyl car wrap covering the ugly red paint™ - amatures imitate, Professionals

Will try the threadlock tip. I saw a magnet in a mount that spans two spokes on a French site somewhere. Never followed it up though but magnet/spoke have twisted a few times now and it's a bit tedious

Actual carbon wrap or carbon look? Either way I never had you down as such a dreadful, Halfords-loving chav! Oh, Gary....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Will try the threadlock tip. I saw a magnet in a mount that spans two spokes on a French site somewhere. Never followed it up though but magnet/spoke have twisted a few times now and it's a bit tedious
Yeah. Lapierre do one. I tried to get hold of it but no dealer would order me one.
Threadlock seems to have helped a little. it was always going to be a band aid style bodge at best rather than a solution. I was just getting sick of having to re-align that magnet every semi-rad ride.

Actual carbon wrap or carbon look? Either way I never had you down as such a dreadful, Halfords-loving chav! Oh, Gary....
Oh Dave... You should know by now there is no nice handy social/intellectual society created box I fit into.. I'm simply not constrained by the class obesessed anxiety of the beings you so wish to fit in with.
I'm a free spirit my thoughts, tastes and preferences are all mine™
;)

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
Two questions-
I see a few of you are using E6000 controllers, I fancied replacing my clunky E8000 set up with the neater E6000, is it a straight plug out old, plug in new or are electrical skills needed?
Does the E6000 frame mount battery fit into the E8010 mount? Has anybody tried this? I would like an emergency battery but don't want to pay for a full replacement , oh , can you charge the E6000 battery with the standard charger you get with the E8000 system?
Yes yes I know thats more than 2 questions but more kept coming to mind as I was writing!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
All the Shimano controllers, E6000, E6010, E7000, and E8000 are interchangeable, you just unplug the old one and then plug in the new.

Cant answer the battery question

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles