Shimano warranty is transferable.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Hey all, I'm an independent mechanic and eMTB rider. One of my bikes was bought 2nd hand, only 7 months old, and has an E7000 motor. Unfortunately, the motor developed an irreparable fault and the original vendor refused to honour the warranty. Thankfully, through my business accounts, I was able to get written confirmation, from Shimano, that their 2yr warranty IS transferable, as long as you have the original purchase receipt. This was contrary to what I was originally told by Madison, who are the UK service centre for Shimano. However, the Madison warranty dept are now fully aware of the official Shimano global position.

I hope this is useful/helpful to anyone looking to buy/sell within that 2yr period.

Happy trails all.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF all Madison ask for from a shop is a copy of the original purchase receipt when accepting any Shimano warranty claim. Not the customers name/details.

Care to share your written confirmation?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is all I've ever been asked for before when claiming for anything Shimano. The warranty is two years I believe, but I didn't realise that it was transferable on anything, let alone high value items like a motor.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
TBF all Madison ask for from a shop is a copy of the original purchase receipt when accepting any Shimano warranty claim. Not the customers name/details.

Care to share your written confirmation?
Here you go Gary, came from Shimano UK:

Thanks for raising this, I have spoken with our Warranty Dept and they have sought clarification from Shimano themselves

Who sent us the following:

….We are not stating second-hand product are not covered but do state the original invoice or receipt is needed to make a valid claim.

“To make a valid claim under this warranty, please return the Shimano Product to an authorized Shimano dealer, preferably the dealer it was purchased from, together with the original, dated invoice or receipt.”

So as long as it is not a counterfeit and the customer has the original invoice or receipt and it is within the specified dates (3 years for Dura Ace and XTR and 2 years for all other Shimano products) then the claim needs to be accepted.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I approached Madison warranty a couple of weeks ago, to return a faulty 2nd hand E7000 that was only 8 months old (E010 code). They originally told me that the STEPS warranty was NOT transferable, but I asked around and got the above reply from the head of Shimano UK training. My E7000 is now with Madison, along with the original purchase receipt (which I got from the original owner).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles