Shimano rejected warranty

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Hi guys, advice please....
Story goes....i have sent my YT Decoy back because of faulty bearings. But Shimano refusees to change the motor because i have mounted aftermarket lamp and cabel of Lightmove se 150 (has shimano compatibility and all kind of certifications and rewards). Also when i have mounted it i couldnt disconect properly main motor connection and peace of plastic broke a little. Nothing serious and nothing conected with bearings that broked.
But because of that, they refuse to change the motor in warranty.
Yt offered me new motor for 960 euros.
My question is....has anybody had similar situation? Or does anybody know can i complain someone and can i win over this situation or is it 100% bad for me.
Thanks upfront and best regards, Darian.
Ps. I have attached the mails.

Screenshot_20210601-165432_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-182302_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-162442_Gmail.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That sucks a bit.

I guess you could get it back and get the bearings replaced, there are a few companies, though not many, which will work on the E8000's - these for instance :

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to have put silicone or similar around the cable connections, they're fairly prone to moisture ingress even if you don't have lights on.

Unfortunately Shimano seem to be one of the strictest/most difficult when it comes to motor warranties - which is unfortunate as their motor's don't have service kits and are not overly straight forwards to work on. Add into that, if anyone does work on their motors, they then hold them liable for ANY future issues with the motor - including software problems, so you end up with no warranty if you do go out of your way to fix the thing when it's broken rather than return it. Their motors division/policies seem to operate the complete opposite of the rest of their product lines.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Unfortunately Shimano seem to be one of the strictest/most difficult when it comes to motor warranties -
Where are you getting this info from?
Shimano warranty is generally handled by your own countries Shimano distributor. Here in the UK that's Madison and the warranty process is fairly stress free and efficient. (the only issue just now is waiting for actual stock to come back in to supply)
I'd advise you to bypass YT entirely and go to your local bike shop who will be a Shimano dealer and ask them nicely to put in a warranty claim for you.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just based on people experiences here where Shimano have turned down warranty claims for things which wouldn't seem relevant to the issue at hand. Obviously you don't know the whole story all the time. Madison always seem to, or nearly always, resolve things, but in other countries there seem to a lot of people who just get turned away for whatever reason.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Just based on people experiences here where Shimano have turned down warranty claims for things which wouldn't seem relevant to the issue at hand. Obviously you don't know the whole story all the time. Madison always seem to, or nearly always, resolve things, but in other countries there seem to a lot of people who just get turned away for whatever reason.
sorry mate, cant warranty that, you used it on a Tuesday when the moon was full... market trader value warranty :D

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im thinking yt n america would ask shimano not their own tech. Id send it to shimano. You should get a new motor. Maybe even be able to pay extra for an ep8 . Youd also need the adapter/connections but sounds like you could use a connection anyway. That warranty refusal just sounds lazy and poor form that will do them no good in the long run
Very shortsighted cs

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Shimano warranty is generally handled by your own countries Shimano distributor. Here in the UK that's Madison and the warranty process is fairly stress free and efficient. (the only issue just now is waiting for actual stock to come back in to supply)
I'd advise you to bypass YT entirely and go to your local bike shop who will be a Shimano dealer and ask them nicely to put in a warranty claim for you.
Yes i know that and i would do that but i am in Croatia and we dont have any shimano distributor, the closest one is in Austria. Thats why i was forced to go over YT.

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Im thinking yt n america would ask shimano not their own tech. Id send it to shimano. You should get a new motor. Maybe even be able to pay extra for an ep8 . Youd also need the adapter/connections but sounds like you could use a connection anyway. That warranty refusal just sounds lazy and poor form that will do them no good in the long run
Very shortsighted cs
Well said...

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Jayzusss! That sucks! I'd be contacting everybody in Shimano to try and sort this out. In Japan if needed. That seems grossly unfair. Thankfully you wouldn't get away with that here. Our consumer laws specifically cover that sort of thing, but it sure puts me off even considering a YT bike in the future.

Gordon

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Shimano is just using these kind of things so they can justify not replacing it. There is no causality, between some silicone/ a light connection and damaged bearings that I am aware of. And for 960 euro's I would take that motor apart and try to replace the bearings myself...or pay someone! Maybe first try what Gary is saying indeed!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Shipping from germany to croatia that'd put this just over 800 euro. Its a business so i guess itd come with a warrantee...... if you dont night ride?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
i had same Bearing Problems, Shimano told me no warranty because Sensor Logs show sometimes above Speed Limit ...
i ordered new DU-E8000 from ebay and will try replace bearings myself ...

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Yeah, but i am so disapoited with them. Still waiting the answer from shimano, but Yt confirmed me that they had talk with them and they do not accept the warranty because od broken piece od connector. Yt will send me official statement from Shimano. Sad world we are living in.
Probably i will try to send motor to that company e-motorrepair...im not sure to try myself.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
i had same Bearing Problems, Shimano told me no warranty because Sensor Logs show sometimes above Speed Limit ...
Huh? sensor log of your speed? or assist speed of the motor (i.e. >25km/h) ?

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
That sucks a bit.

I guess you could get it back and get the bearings replaced, there are a few companies, though not many, which will work on the E8000's - these for instance :

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to have put silicone or similar around the cable connections, they're fairly prone to moisture ingress even if you don't have lights on.

Unfortunately Shimano seem to be one of the strictest/most difficult when it comes to motor warranties - which is unfortunate as their motor's don't have service kits and are not overly straight forwards to work on. Add into that, if anyone does work on their motors, they then hold them liable for ANY future issues with the motor - including software problems, so you end up with no warranty if you do go out of your way to fix the thing when it's broken rather than return it. Their motors division/policies seem to operate the complete opposite of the rest of their product lines.
Hey, did You or someone heard is there somewhere in europe, similar ebike repair service. Because this company Services – E-Motor Repairs do not ship outside the UK. Thanks upfront.

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Just an info on my situation.
So after allmost three months i recived my Decoy back. With new motor, new motor cover and ofcourse new connection on motor. It was a struggle but YT sent motor two times to shimano service and they finaly accepted, as they said good will.
I am satisfied and it worth waiting so much and exchanging 30 emails.
Thanks all of You for advices and comments.
If anybody want details, feel free to ask.
Peace....

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Just an info on my situation.
So after allmost three months i recived my Decoy back. With new motor, new motor cover and ofcourse new connection on motor. It was a struggle but YT sent motor two times to shimano service and they finaly accepted, as they said good will.
I am satisfied and it worth waiting so much and exchanging 30 emails.
Thanks all of You for advices and comments.
If anybody want details, feel free to ask.
Peace....
good to know and a nice end to the thread..
this thread however was a bug influence on my recent bike purchase, I was going to buy a nukeproof with an EP8 but after reading this and a few other things regarding the motor and battery system I decided against any bike with a shimano motor.
in my opinion this is why forums exist, highlighting issues of this nature and company trends and warranty denial from shimano is all over the internet for the same silly reasons.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thats great Darian. Really good to hear things were taken care of, as they should. Yt stepped up for me when shit needed to get done, waiting for a shimano motor.
Yt sent a questionaire to buyers. I selected long travel and bosch motor for future models. I hope others did as well. I hope they dont change the bike much. It really is a great bike on the trail. 1 degree slacker head angle , 180 fork , 15mm more reach same bb height , chainstay,and seat angle as stock, but mostly add a bosch motor. Ive made my fork 180 and put a -1 degree works headset in and the decoy rips everywhere. Tight trails , xc trails, bike park, alpine. Still a relevant bike and top choice. Bosch and id be more than happy to continue riding a decoy. Love this bike

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Thats great Darian. Really good to hear things were taken care of, as they should. Yt stepped up for me when shit needed to get done, waiting for a shimano motor.
Yt sent a questionaire to buyers. I selected long travel and bosch motor for future models. I hope others did as well. I hope they dont change the bike much. It really is a great bike on the trail. 1 degree slacker head angle , 180 fork , 15mm more reach same bb height , chainstay,and seat angle as stock, but mostly add a bosch motor. Ive made my fork 180 and put a -1 degree works headset in and the decoy rips everywhere. Tight trails , xc trails, bike park, alpine. Still a relevant bike and top choice. Bosch and id be more than happy to continue riding a decoy. Love this bike
Same opinion here. And also Bosch gen4 motor. Decoy is great bike.

JC62

Dec 22, 2021
Australia
Just had a bike 'Red Flagged' for the same thing. Out of warranty anyway so no big deal...just the principle of the thing. Bike was never derestricted, never touched in any way other than losing a magnet a couple of years ago. Loads of Shimano stories out there it seems!

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Just had a bike 'Red Flagged' for the same thing. Out of warranty anyway so no big deal...just the principle of the thing. Bike was never derestricted, never touched in any way other than losing a magnet a couple of years ago. Loads of Shimano stories out there it seems!

That was just one bike shop, right? Not Shimano, who in Oz, would need to be able to prove such a statement. I've not had any issues with bike stuff here (actually really good warranty service, especially from Pushy's who are brilliant) but with other companies who try the same, "you tampered with it" or "you dropped it" kind of BS. A gentle or not so gentle nudge, always sorts them out. You just need to stand your ground. If you've done nothing wrong then you'll be fine, although some retailers do try this shit on, from time to time. It's not like some place, like above where attaching a light affects a bearing warranty. That's pathetic but it can't happen here unless the customer lets it.

Looks like your mate needs a new LBS. I wouldn't spend a penny there.

JC62

Dec 22, 2021
Australia
That was just one bike shop, right? Not Shimano, who in Oz, would need to be able to prove such a statement. I've not had any issues with bike stuff here (actually really good warranty service, especially from Pushy's who are brilliant) but with other companies who try the same, "you tampered with it" or "you dropped it" kind of BS. A gentle or not so gentle nudge, always sorts them out. You just need to stand your ground. If you've done nothing wrong then you'll be fine, although some retailers do try this shit on, from time to time. It's not like some place, like above where attaching a light affects a bearing warranty. That's pathetic but it can't happen here unless the customer lets it.

Looks like your mate needs a new LBS. I wouldn't spend a penny there.
Thanks Flash. Totally agree. According to him, before they even looked at the bike they started out by saying it was stolen (I had given him my original receipt). Then, having connected the bike to their diagnostics they told him the bike had gone 'over speed' was 'illegal' and if he had an accident with someone he would be charged. Then they went on to say they would notify Shimano so the bike would never be looked at by any Shimano service centre. Like I said, I lost a magnet once but the bike was never derestricted, nor is it now. There seem to be quite a few reports of Shimano issues similar to this. The bike is well out of warranty...all he was asking for was the firmware update I advised him to get. The whole episode sounds absolutely bizarre and over the top. Today I'll be discussing the matter with the shop where I bought it, which is in the same chain as the shop he went to.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Here in Europe, LBS is responsible for resolving warranty issues, and does not rely on contact with various component manufacturers. If this business does that, I would switch to a new LBS right away

JC62

Dec 22, 2021
Australia
Here in Europe, LBS is responsible for resolving warranty issues, and does not rely on contact with various component manufacturers. If this business does that, I would switch to a new LBS right away
Thanks Mcharza. You're right...there are good stores and bad ones. I went to the lbs where I originally bought the bike. They are part of the same chain as the other shop my mate took the bike to. The guy I spoke with had actually worked in the other store and I was amazed how openly critical he was of the culture there. He agreed that the Shimano system has common faults and often throws up codes for dubious reasons. He agreed that losing a magnet while riding may have caused it. He also said he would not be the least bit concerned about servicing the bike for my mate, and the bike is fully legal as long as it's not derestricted. Hopefully the issue will go to sleep now. My mate seems happy with that. And I'm happy with my mate being happy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles