shimano steps e8000 derestriction

mmmax

Jun 15, 2020
Sweden
Just bought a used Ebike with a Shimano Steps engine. The bike has been derestricted by previous owner with the speed sensor being moved. No additional hardware or software used for the derestriction.

Have now returned to original and wonder if anyone have confirmed since last discussed in this thread whether the warranty is void or not (I guess the real question is if Shimano will notice it or not)?

I’m on an E-8000 engine but also asking for a friend with an E-7000.

The engine itself is less than a year old and no noticeable visual marks of the derestriction can be seen.

Thanks!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just bought a used Ebike with a Shimano Steps engine. The bike has been derestricted by previous owner with the speed sensor being moved. No additional hardware or software used for the derestriction.

Have now returned to original and wonder if anyone have confirmed since last discussed in this thread whether the warranty is void or not (I guess the real question is if Shimano will notice it or not)?

I’m on an E-8000 engine but also asking for a friend with an E-7000.

The engine itself is less than a year old and no noticeable visual marks of the derestriction can be seen.

Thanks!

Some things are logged in the motor, I never finished .. uhmmm or really got started de-coding the black box info. So we're not sure what is logged.

They could probably work out something was wrong from the distance to charge cycles. Not sure if they would really bother though..

Personally, I wouldn't worry. With luck, you won't have any issues anyway so none of it will matter.

mmmax

Jun 15, 2020
Sweden
Some things are logged in the motor, I never finished .. uhmmm or really got started de-coding the black box info. So we're not sure what is logged.

They could probably work out something was wrong from the distance to charge cycles. Not sure if they would really bother though..

Personally, I wouldn't worry. With luck, you won't have any issues anyway so none of it will matter.

Thanks! Ok so hopefully they won’t bother then if data has to be matched or whatever.

Still curious if anyone have managed to use the warranty after sensor derestriction or if anyone have had any troubles.

Unfortunately I already have some issues, hence the question. Will post that into another thread though..

mmmax

Jun 15, 2020
Sweden
The bike warranty may or may not depending on the brand, but the motor warranty should ? I think .. maybe .. possible ...

From what I understand the bike manufacturer warranty is in my case not “transferable”, but the Shimano warranty is not tied to the buyer but rather the goods, or engine, itself.

And Shimano holds a 2 year warranty on their engines.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You need the original purchase receipt as shimano (at least in the UK) will ask for proof of purchase.

mmmax

Jun 15, 2020
Sweden
You need the original purchase receipt as shimano (at least in the UK) will ask for proof of purchase.

Agree, same anywhere I guess, hard to prove the engine is less than 2 years (and within warranty period) old if one can’t show any receipt (which I have).

Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles