Shimano Steps E8000 problems

Butch

Jan 20, 2020
LS12 3SD
I have a Bulls e-core with a steps motor but are wondering if anyone has had problems with one powering up:
Turn the battery on, indicators light up, display flashes on but then battery indicators go off and the display goes off. Checked all the leads into the display and into the motor and all seem okay. Anyone any ideas what the problem is?
Regards
SteveC

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
check the battery mounting.
They can come loose causing poor connection.
it's just 5 mins with allen keys to remove the casing and readjust the shuttle/connector.
There's a guide somewhere on youtube if you're not sure how to

Butch

Jan 20, 2020
LS12 3SD
Gary
Already tried that mate. Bike has two batteries and sockets are on spring mountings so are tight. Also checked all the cables into the display and where they connect into the top of the motor housing and everything is tight. Problem only just started in last couple of weeks and can't figure it out. I have tried it with only one battery but doesn't matter if it is one or two batteries, the display won't stay on !!

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Also checked all the cables into the display and where they connect into the top of the motor housing and everything is tight.

Did you unplug all the plugs and re-seat them? Spray the terminals with a short blip of anti-corrosion spray. It sure can't hurt.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
§Not exactly- but sometimes when powering up the battery, the LEDs all come n...the screen does nothing.
Switch it off and on again, and it has so far sorted it.....

lumr002

Sep 11, 2020
Honolulu, Hawaii
§Not exactly- but sometimes when powering up the battery, the LEDs all come n...the screen does nothing.
Switch it off and on again, and it has so far sorted it.....
My Shimano Steps has the same exact problem. The only thing that works is unplugging the display cable and plugging it back in. Quite annoying. Ddid you ever figure out what was wrong?

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Not sure if it’s the same thing but when I had my Focus Jam2 with the Shimano motor I always had to press the on button twice - if I only pressed it once it lit up but then turned off again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not sure if it’s the same thing but when I had my Focus Jam2 with the Shimano motor I always had to press the on button twice - if I only pressed it once it lit up but then turned off again.
If the motor has been used recently, or after charging, you only need to press the on-button once, otherwise twice.
If you press it twice when it is "warm" then you effectively switch it on then off again.

Butch

Jan 20, 2020
LS12 3SD
My Shimano Steps has the same exact problem. The only thing that works is unplugging the display cable and plugging it back in. Quite annoying. Ddid you ever figure out what was wrong?
The problem was with the batteries and were sent back to BMZ in Germany for repair/replacement. This fixed the problem but have just had a further problem which was initially diagnosed as the display unit but is now a motor problem and is currently being repaired/replaced under warranty.

DMO58

Aug 28, 2019
Sussex
Had similar problems - display seems to be prone to dampness and fogs up inside - may need to be dried out thoroughly by removing and keeping in a warm locatin for 24-48 hours

Jamieparsons14

Feb 28, 2021
Sussex
My mondraker did this so I coverd the on switch with paint protection film and seems to have helped but when it did it to me I repeatedly pressed the button then eventually its came back on

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
I have a Bulls e-core with a steps motor but are wondering if anyone has had problems with one powering up:
Turn the battery on, indicators light up, display flashes on but then battery indicators go off and the display goes off. Checked all the leads into the display and into the motor and all seem okay. Anyone any ideas what the problem is?
Regards
SteveC
Butch you still the Bulls? is it the D12 e core?

DMO58

Aug 28, 2019
Sussex
May be damp inside the control unit if is a Shimano E8000 display which switches off the motor by default - check if display seems steamed up - if so can be dried out by removing from handlebars and putting somewhere warm like over a radiator for at least 24 hours - got mine working again but then failed completely and had to get a new unit under warranty Take care when removing the cables from control unit - ideally use special Shimano tool but can be carefully removed with needle nosed pliers - pull straight out and same in reverse

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles