Powerfly Shimano Microspline Cassette Incompatibility - Resolved

Long Way Home

Jun 9, 2022
Cornwall
Resolved: The spoke guard was too large for the smaller cassette and prevented the cassette from seating correctly on the free hub body.

Hi everyone,

I was going to make a change to my gearing today and also prepare the bike for the oncoming wet weather. The plan was to swap out the Deore 12sp 10-51 (CS-M6100) cassette and fit an SLX 12sp 10-45 (CS-M7100).
I was of the understanding that all micro spline cassettes were cross compatible, but it appears not to be the case, as when I tried to install the SLX cassette, it contacts the wheel and the free hub locks. It looks like the Deore has a deeper dished profile to the spider beam, moving the gear cogs closer to the wheel/spokes. This would imply that the free hub itself, might need to be SLX also.

Could anyone please clarify if this is the case and what configuration is required to be able to correctly fit the SLX cassette?

Last edited:

Long Way Home

Jun 9, 2022
Cornwall
No, the cassettes were placed over the free hub splines, the Deore cassette drops onto the free hub base, the SLX cassette stops short and hits the wheel.

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Possible that the angle of your spokes is very slightly DS bias and the smaller inner gear on the SLX cassette is contacting the spokes. The bigger rinbg on the Deore cassete allows it to just miss. Seems odd if so but could easily be fixed by changing spoke tensions and moving the rim a little towards the NDS

Long Way Home

Jun 9, 2022
Cornwall
Possible that the angle of your spokes is very slightly DS bias and the smaller inner gear on the SLX cassette is contacting the spokes. The bigger rinbg on the Deore cassete allows it to just miss. Seems odd if so but could easily be fixed by changing spoke tensions and moving the rim a little towards the NDS
That's a good call and something I have yet to check.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’ve had the case where you need to install a spacer in the back
Im currently using a Crank Brother synthesis rear wheel, had to fit a spacer
From the old cassette, smallest cogs have 1 & 2mm spacer - these are ideal

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles